What's your "offseason" training program like?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

What's your "offseason" training program like?

I guess a lot of you ski, board, snowshoe, etc............I haven't yet, at least not regularly.
    My training program now.

M, W, F

Weight Training
    Bench Press: 3 sets of 7 reps then 1 set of 1 rep about maxed out
    Shrugs: 4 sets of about 15 reps
    Flys: 4 sets 15 reps
    Military Press: 4 sets 15 reps
    Butterfly: either 4 sets of 10-12 reps, or 4 sets of 5 to 6 reps if I'm holding it isometrically
    Lat pulls: 4 sets 13 reps
    Rows: 1 or 2 sets of 12 reps which complements the Lat pulls
    Triceps: 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Leg Curls: 4 sets 15 reps
    Leg Extensions: 4 sets 10-15 reps
    Calf raises: 4 sets 15 reps
    Leg Press: 4 sets 10 reps
    Lower Back: 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Abs: not doing, need to let cardio burn the excess "fat" off

Cardio

T, Th

1 hour at heart rate of 130-142 which is about 120-150 which is about 70-80%, with some 1 minute spikes at 160 which is about 90%. I think I calculated that correc as 220-age=Max HR. so 220-42=178. 90% x 178=160.

Edit: forgot to mention the occassional yoga class which is going to get more frequent as Spring and real riding season approaches, so get more flexibility.

Riding

Night ride when possible and riding Sat and Sundy, road or mtn
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    What is an "offseason"?

Just keep riding... It's the best time of the year to ride. Empty trails and hard-fast singletrack.

gringo-fied facsimiles

I agree there flip

I rode yesterday ( 12.06.06) and It was awsome!!! just frozen enough to ride, but not too cold and all by myself, very serene, bike was dialed, I was dialed,mmmmmm thats good ridin.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What about in the afternoon/evening is it still frozen?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    I rode yesterday ( 12.06.06) and It was awsome!!! just frozen enough to ride, but not too cold and all by myself, very serene, bike was dialed, I was dialed,mmmmmm thats good ridin.
    It is super nice in winter. This morning, we saw 3 coyotes in the Mil Reserve and saw a total of 2 or 3 hikers/runners in a little over an hour of riding time. If you ever want to go balls out in the lower foothills, the Bucks and Shanes at 730 to 830 am is the time to do it...

Anyway, back to Daryl's question. In the off-season, I ride different bikes than I would ride in summer just to change things up...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    snowboard at the resort.

splitboarding is my new weekend workout, and it's a very good workout.

if at bogus, stop off at the Hollow for HOPEFULLY leftover clam chowder from friday night and a fiegwild. if no chowder remains...their soups usually rule, so it's all good.

either way, i always do some 12oz curls while sitting in the hot tub (or hot springs if close by) after one of the above activities.
    Last edited by garnetspur; 12-07-2006 at 10:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    What about in the afternoon/evening is it still frozen?
    Only if there is an inversion. If it's sunny, most trails become a bog by 11 am (even if the temps are below freezing). However, you also have 8th Street and Rocky Canyon. When it's wet out, I usually climb up on 8th until the snow line and then descend via Bob's or Hulls (sandy rocky trails that don't get too muddy).

gringo-fied facsimiles
    I was out between 12 and 2 and only hit one little spot of soft on the way up to the motorcycle parking lot on my way to bobs....and it was just shy of 40 deg out.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

Queen of Crash
    Sidewinder was still good around 3:30pm yesterday. Temperature was good. Sun was good. The only bad things were my achy ribs and my shifting. (Can't wait to get a new bike...)
    Good times. Noodle salad.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    good to hear both of ya say it was still good later in the afternoon. yeah, heal up SFS

Queen of Crash
    good to hear both of ya say it was still good later in the afternoon. yeah, heal up SFS
    You too, young man! Lay off the calf raises, and get out and ride your bike! (Sorry to be so bossy.)

slownfat
    beer, tequila with dinner, hit the gym a few nights a week, and snowboarding & snowshoeing on the weekends. not in any particular order. figure you gotta work out all the organs including the liver. once the year starts up again, road riding from feb. on into the season. there's probably a good reason i'm not the best of climbers but i'm still fat enough to go downhill quickly. that newton guy was alright, gotta love the law of gravity! mass = acceleration. disk brakes = fewer missed corners and less broken bones.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Love your post!!! Actually, I think F=M*A, so A=F/M (any engineers here?). I think that means that the more power you have and the lighter you are, the more acceleration you get?

mtbr member

Off season

I guess a lot of you ski, board, snowshoe, etc............I haven't yet, at least not regularly.
    My training program now.

M, W, F

Weight Training
    Bench Press: 3 sets of 7 reps then 1 set of 1 rep about maxed out
    Shrugs: 4 sets of about 15 reps
    Flys: 4 sets 15 reps
    Military Press: 4 sets 15 reps
    Butterfly: either 4 sets of 10-12 reps, or 4 sets of 5 to 6 reps if I'm holding it isometrically
    Lat pulls: 4 sets 13 reps
    Rows: 1 or 2 sets of 12 reps which complements the Lat pulls
    Triceps: 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Leg Curls: 4 sets 15 reps
    Leg Extensions: 4 sets 10-15 reps
    Calf raises: 4 sets 15 reps
    Leg Press: 4 sets 10 reps
    Lower Back: 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Abs: not doing, need to let cardio burn the excess "fat" off

Cardio

T, Th

1 hour at heart rate of 130-142 which is about 120-150 which is about 70-80%, with some 1 minute spikes at 160 which is about 90%. I think I calculated that correc as 220-age=Max HR. so 220-42=178. 90% x 178=160.

Edit: forgot to mention the occassional yoga class which is going to get more frequent as Spring and real riding season approaches, so get more flexibility.

Riding

Night ride when possible and riding Sat and Sundy, road or mtn
    Just out of curiosity, why such a random assortment of repetitions with different exercises? 15, 12, 10, 7, 1...
    Overall, a fairly well rounded program, hits most body parts. One thing that you may want to take into consideration is what your goals are for the workout! Do you want to gain strength and size, do you want to gain muscular conditioning, or power? You seem a bit all over the place. A good periodized program would get you better results. Generally speaking though, most persons that are endurance athletes (most of us riders fall into this) you would beneift from more work in the higher rep ranges. Depending on what cyle you are on, you may/may not want to be going to failure or maxing out with your one rep.
    You may also want to work in more dynamic type exercises with a ball/stability and multidirectional exercises as well to balance you body out. Mosty cyclists, and runners as well for that matter, tend to do everything in a straight line. We don't do a lot of lateral and multidirectional activities so we tend to get weak and out of balance in the hips, spine, and shoulder complexes.
    Way too much information to be discussed casually over a string.

As far as your abs and melting off the excess pounds, keep in mind that working your abdominal muscles does nothing to melt away the excess fat over them. Watching your diet and riding will do 90+% of that. You still need to keep up with proper core work not to look good in your speedos, but to have a safe and functional body.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    SFS.......do you ride a root beer colored Santa Cruz? I was descending Sidewinder around 4:00 PM yesterday/w a black and white border collie. I think you were one of five riders climbing Sidewinder that I stopped for. I was surprised at how pleasant it was in the foothills yesterday......no wind and 40 degrees.
    Last edited by Markv; 12-07-2006 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You seem like you really know your stuff; I figure you are either a trainer, doctor or some type of sports medicine professional?

Yes, my goals: Strength, conditioning, power, and increased bone density. I also agree with you, that is a great idea to work on multidirectional exercises and core/stability.

PM me

Hi!!!
    Since October 23rd...this what my weekly workouts have looked like....
    Monday: Ski conditioning class
    Tuesday: Work at REI.
    Wednesday: Trail run or ride.
    Thursday: Ski conditioning class. Since I have about an hour to kill before class started, I'd sometimes get in a really quick cardio workout (either short run or workout on the elliptical) followed by a quickie upper body strength workout consisting of some combo of the following: pull-ups & dips, bench press, seated row, lat pull-down, shoulder press.
    Friday: Mountain bike.
    Saturday & Sunday: If I was fortunate enough not to work the entire weekend at REI, I'd get in at least one road or mountain bike ride or a short workout at the gym if I'm in Boise.

With the ski conditioning class ending this week...my Mondays and Thursdays are free again. More than likely I'll try to continue with a number of the workouts we've done in class, but I'll probably try to squeeze it under 1.5 hours.

Depending on the weather and trail conditions, I'm sticking with my Wednesday trail runs and Friday rides. Saturdays and Sundays are out until mid-January when my Greeting Shifts sorta end for a short while. I'm hoping to spend at least one weekend day either skate skiing or snowshoeing.

By late February, I hope to be back on the bike OUTSIDE at least 2-3x/week.

While I know many people that live around here don't consider this time of the year as the "off-season", but for me it sorta is even though I do try to ride when I can. When you have to use lights at 6pm and be wary of trail conditions and wear a balaclava with some hand warmers stuffed down into your crotch...then I consider that the off-season.

And jeez...I may even start popping into a Spinning class once a week or so!

Hi!!!

Good job!

I took two yoga classes this fall and was hooked. Unfortunately when ski conditioning started, that threw off my entire schedule. I'll definately try to get back into it again when I come back from vacation.

Queen of Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by Markv
    SFS.......do you ride a root beer colored Santa Cruz? I was descending Sidewinder around 4:00 PM yesterday/w a black and white border collie. I think you were one of five riders climbing Sidewinder that I stopped for. I was surprised at how pleasant it was in the foothills yesterday......no wind and 40 degrees.
    Yes! Did I see you toward the bottom of SW? You pulled over toward the hillside? Your dog is super cute. I'm a big fan of border collies.

There seemed to be a bunch of people riding SW. I agree, the conditions were really nice that day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah...........I was out using VAC time to get Pete some much needed mid week exercise. He's a good trail dog.....loves his job......which is herding me.

You've ridden with Mike Edwards.......you should join us some weekend for a Wilson Creek loop.
    Last edited by Markv; 12-08-2006 at 01:58 PM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'm with Flip. What's an offseason? That said, I run 2 - 3 times a week in the winter, and get up to Bogus with pstar for some snowboarding abuse enough to pay off my season pass.

MV - Yes, we'll get SFS out to Wilson Creek one of these days!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Snowboarding abuse....can I sign up for that? I'm always looking for a ride up to the abuse hill.

I have no offseason. I don't have that luxury.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

dirt enthusiast
    we'll be heading up there soon al. just gotta wait for some decent snow conditions. right now the riding down here is better than the riding up there!
    off season schmoff season. bah. always doing something! as long as i'm not sitting still i'll be alright
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Snowboarding abuse....can I sign up for that? I'm always looking for a ride up to the abuse hill.

I have no offseason. I don't have that luxury.
    Dude, you're in. However, if we ride with pstar, you MUST remember to take the motion sickness pills before getting in his car!!

Also, you will be indoctrinated in Rule # 1 - NEVER, EVER FOLLOW PSTAR. It's a rule to live by, and one to die by if you break it!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    eeehhh....I do the runs I know I can do. That said, I don't know which runs I can do now since the last I went (gulp) I could see better than I do now.

Off to catch a plane!!!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

Training Program???

Guess I better get on one since my company will be charging for health benefits come Jan.1 based on the body mass index chart.

Bodyweight... the last legal form of discrimination

mtbr member
    What is an offseason? For me it just means that there is some skiing, sledding, and snowshoeing thrown in with the riding. One of my most memorable rides was Hulls last Christmas Eve. Mud and snow only make the downhill more fun. (I'll admit that they do make climbing a bit of a pain, though.) Even if conditions here are bad, I usually go to San Fransisco at least once every winter, and there are some fun trails in Marin County! So throw on a sweatshirt and heavier gloves, and go for a ride. Working out does give the obvious benefit of keeping muscles that don't get much usage in shape. Being fit lessens the chance of getting hurt when you do crash. You should work out during the summer as well, even more frequently than in the winter, since more frequent riding warrants more preventive measures.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor
    Either ive got a lot of mud on my tire, or i'm hauling Kenne's ego

King of the Barneys
    My Off Season? Those lousy rainy days that put me inside a gym, on the trainer at home, or on the couch with chips and barley drinks.

Once it gets cold enough, or dry enough, we're out riding as often as possible, even it means the roadie. Best memory of last year's snow ride, was when I was following ole Parker down something pretty fast (at least he was), and I come around a corner and he's all yard-saled off the trail in about 6" of snow....we laughed so hard and it wasn't really that funny, just glad to be out riding, when others were tucked snug in their beds, while visions of sugarplums danced in their heads...

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

onseason all the time...

Some offseason pictures... Plus, the word "training" is not used around Lucky Ada, we just call it "going for a ride". "Training" just sounds so serious and possibly requiring lots of commitment. Scary stuff...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    good looking kids, and that pup your avatar is a cutie too

just a man
    I'm glad that pic hides my chicken legs...thanks flip.

CBro and I were just chatting and a question as to the Stack Rock trails ride-ability arose. Is it possible to ride Eastisde and/or other trails up there around Bogus right now? Maybe (with a little conditioning prior to trying that) it would be fun winter riding??...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey Craig,

how are ya coming along, feelin? I would "think" stack/eside area is under too much snow now?

Surly Pugsly?

TERVOR THE GREAT
    I ride the pump track daily, usually 3 slow laps to warm up, 3 groups of 10 hauling ass laps, and 3 slow ones to finish it off...
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

King of the Barneys
    I'm sorry, Taco, that's too much activity. Please tone it down, OK?

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Members who have read this thread: 0