what tires for Boise Foothills- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

what tires for Boise Foothills

Hey guys what tires are you running? I mostly ride the foothills and go up to Brundage a couple times a year. I've heard people talking about the small block 8's? My wheels are shimano xc29er. Thanks alot! Nick

mtbr member
    Good portion of the people that use small blocks do like them for the foothills. I have one small block that i use on my back tire and then use a nevegal up front. Really you can get with anything that looks like it has traction, really the tire choice comes down to you. Lots of people have nevegals and run them front and rear and love em but some dont. Do a google search on 29er tires and see what you come up with.

Im not sold on the Nevegals myself but they work and i have not had and issue with them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i've worn out a lot of Nevegals in the foothills and they're a trusty tubeless tire in most of the footies. the downside is the centers wear faster then the outer knobs. i took a friend's recommendation to switch to a rounder edge profile then the nevegal that would transition smoother on flat and bermed corners and it worked! so far the schwable and conti's i've tried are better in corners then the nevegal, but tubeless setup is trickier for the non-UST tires that I prefer to run on 26" Stans 355s. if you can afford these, you may want to try em:
    http://twentynineinches.com/2011/01/...s-ready-tires/

bike me, then beer me

rolling tires...

I use Maxis Ignitors on two of my bikes but often like the small block 8 on the rear. They are light and grip well on these trails on most conditions. I am not a speed demon downhill like most of the younger riders so they work for me... also I use them on both the SS and FS. I use them on Crest tubless wheels.

One I really liked but they seemed to wear out fast were the Bont XC Jones. I just prefer the lower profile tires that give me that roll.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've been happy with Maxxis Ardents on a few different bikes.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I like really round tires that spin good...
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Big, BIG fan of Specialized's The Captain Control 2Bliss. I've used them front and rear, both 2.0 and 2.2 size, on multiple 26" bikes and 29'ers. They seal up great on tubeless rims, roll well, hook up well, have nice volume, are light and relatively durable. The Purgatory 2Bliss is also a good option - a little heavier and meatier, but probably better for softer soil (ala Brundage.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mythos work well IMO, light and cheap being a bonus, won't work tubeless being a negative.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Rubber with some tread should work well.
    Idaho

gringo-fied facsimiles
    As other people have stated before in this thread, alot depends on bike set up, riding style, body weight. All these factors can make or break a tire. I prefer on my 29er, schwalbe racing ralph 2.4 front and smallblock 8 rear. As soon as available I am interested in trying the slant 6. didnt like the ignitors, nor the nevegals, nor anything specialized. just my .02
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I recommend the Spudmeyer 29er BBW - the ribbed one with the recepticle tip. All my friends get that recommendation. From me. As a personal favor.

It makes riding in the Owyhees seem almost suburban. Well. I guess it's pretty suburban out there to begin with, so nevermind.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

Why so serious?

Larsen TT's

Members who have read this thread: 0