West Yellowstone Sept 30th-Oct 3rd...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

West Yellowstone Sept 30th-Oct 3rd...

Looking for recommended rides or a tour guide. I will be in town for a few days with my wife newborn baby and my bike. Looking to mix in a few rides or possibly one big ride while there. I'm from Northern California, have good fitness and experience with big mountain rides. I have done some research on this area and pretty excited about the possibility, just looking for some advice from people who are familiar with this area. Thanks in advance for your responses!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    quarter to a half day = Red Canyon as an out and back

also quarter to half day = Targhee Pass CDT North (fun, steep, directly on an alpine ridge) or South (easy, flowy)

all day = Mile to Sheep

You don't need a guide, just buy the Beartooth Publishing map at Freeheel & Wheel.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Don't forget bear spray!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    quarter to a half day = Red Canyon as an out and back

also quarter to half day = Targhee Pass CDT North (fun, steep, directly on an alpine ridge) or South (easy, flowy)

all day = Mile to Sheep

You don't need a guide, just buy the Beartooth Publishing map at Freeheel & Wheel.
    Afraid listed all the top shelf rides, other short rides: Coffin Lake or Mile and Sheep as out and backs instead of the connected sufferfest.

We just got a few inches of snow in the high country which is likely to be gone by the time you get here, but might not...

If not, S Side CDT is the first to dry out.

I may be able to join you for a ride, weather/family obligations permitting.

I'm slow and steady all day long but I'd be interested in one of the bigger rides, Mile->Sheep, or CDT N->Mile (or the Denny Creek to Mile)

You just have to notify my wife / the authorities where my dead grizzly nibbled carcass is...

I have an extra bear spray or two if you want to borrow one, but as RideIt says it makes sense to have some on all rides in those parts -- particularly at this time of year.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks for all the advice, I have some bear spray and will bring it with me. I do not have a bear bell, not sure if that is recommended.

Montana Rider, I might be able to join you for a bigger ride, I will message you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Reynolds Pass to Targhee Pass on the CDT is a better ride than Mile to Sheep, imo. Need a shuttle though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtnbrews View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, I have some bear spray and will bring it with me. I do not have a bear bell, not sure if that is recommended.

Montana Rider, I might be able to join you for a bigger ride, I will message you.
    When you get to town you should call Free Heel and Wheel for up to date beta:

(406) 646-7744
    Freeheel and Wheel - Home

Unless we get some warmer temps, I suspect the high country is "closed" for the season as the mountains have gotten good snow recently and they're calling for 4-6" on Targhee Pass tonight/tomorrow.

Bring your XC skis

ETA: the Rendezvous trails in West would likely be riding if it wasn't too wet -- I haven't ridden there, but I understand it's more XC...

https://www.freeheelandwheel.com/upl...ezvous_map.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Reynolds Pass to Targhee Pass on the CDT is a better ride than Mile to Sheep, imo. Need a shuttle though.
    Also less vert and distance

mtbr member
    Rendezvous "trails" are more like mowed strips of grass in the summer, not really mountain biking trails.

Mile to Sheep is the classic ride, but might be done due to rain/snow. Mile isn't too bad wet, but the trails connecting the two can get pretty muddy and insanely horse jacked this time of year. Targhee Creek is an awesome descent if not too wet. Sheep Creek is a fun out and back and I'll second the recommendation for Red Canyon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looking at the webcams, I'd say there's a good bit of snow up high (duh). Sheep out and back might be ok, but the rest could be done for the season unless it's tropical next week.

https://lb.511.idaho.gov/idlb/camera...textOnly=false

SCAN WebÂ*6.0 - Camera

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    For future reference, another fun (albeit non-challenging) ride is the rail trail that runs from Bear Gulch near Ashton all the way to West Yellowstone (route 001). It's essentially a gradual climb from the Idaho side to the Divide (Reas Pass), followed by a smooth descent toward West.

Depending on where you start and whether you double back, it can be an all-day affair. The scenery more than makes up for the lack of tech, in my opinion. Some pics from past trips:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails West Yellowstone Sept 30th-Oct 3rd...-img_4376.jpg  

West Yellowstone Sept 30th-Oct 3rd...-wp_20160910_12_04_57_pro.jpg  

West Yellowstone Sept 30th-Oct 3rd...-wp_20160910_10_19_40_pro.jpg