Well I was able to climb most of Kestrel on my SS...- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

Good job! Well I was able to climb most of Kestrel on my SS...

....but I had to walk up that one last stretch before the top and I stopped three times just to keep my HRM from blowing up.

Even though climbing up Kestrel is probably a walk in the park for the rest of you SS'ers, for me it was quite an accomplishment considering I granny gear up the mofo on my geared bike and I'm known to be a very slow climber.

I stood up for most of the climb and was suprised at how easier it seemed on the SS than the geared bike.

I'm running 32x18. Still unsure about whether or not I want to switch out to clipless so I can gain the advantage of the upward pull. I do feel alot more cocky though using platforms when going downhill though. Decisions, decisions.

After I got to the top of Kestrel, I took a long ass break and then worked my way over to Hulls and zoomed back down.

Hard, but I had a friggin' blast tonight!!!

Nick

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Right on Nick!

You've done it once, now you can do it every time you ride it. Pretty soon you'll find yourself not even stopping when you get to the top.

Riding SS always make you a better rider.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

King of the Barneys

Cool-blue Rhythm Congratulations...

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    ....but I had to walk up that one last stretch before the top and I stopped three times just to keep my HRM from blowing up.

Even though climbing up Kestrel is probably a walk in the park for the rest of you SS'ers, for me it was quite an accomplishment considering I granny gear up the mofo on my geared bike and I'm known to be a very slow climber.

I stood up for most of the climb and was suprised at how easier it seemed on the SS than the geared bike.

I'm running 32x18. Still unsure about whether or not I want to switch out to clipless so I can gain the advantage of the upward pull. I do feel alot more cocky though using platforms when going downhill though. Decisions, decisions.

After I got to the top of Kestrel, I took a long ass break and then worked my way over to Hulls and zoomed back down.

Hard, but I had a friggin' blast tonight!!!

Nick

it's fun to cross these off the list and move on to other things.

A goal I had set for myself a couple months before my 45th birthday was to start at CB Park and make it up Hulls and to the mc parking lot with the only stop being the carry rock on Hulls. Got within 10 seconds of my goal when I had to stop for a few seconds on that lousy patch of trail 4 to remember how to breathe. Later I was able to rock up Red Sands the whole way without a stop. It just gets better.

It'll be fun to hook up for a ride.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

Man...

Up Red Sands on a SS would hurt... I tried to climb up #4 from the Freeway and did not even come close to making it up without dabbing. I had to walk twice... Always good to have hills that remain unconquered.

Hi!!!
    Red Sands....

#4......

I'll stick with the "easy" stuff like Kestrel and Hulls before I tackle those two.

*bows down to the SWISS Army*

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Man up!

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Up Red Sands on a SS would hurt... I tried to climb up #4 from the Freeway and did not even come close to making it up without dabbing. I had to walk twice... Always good to have hills that remain unconquered.
    Flip, knowing how strong of a rider you are, I can't believe you could not climb #4 to the top of sidewinder without stopping. When I was able to do that last year with 32x20 without stopping was when I knew I had to move to 32x18. Then, it was only about 3 rides later that I climbed it in 32x18. Now, Red Sands - that's one hill I never conquered in 32x18. Hard Guy I never even tried, past where it splits down to Dry Creek. I guess if I ever decide I'm man enough to SS again, I'll have to try those again!

I did see two guys SSing on Corrals today, as I was headed back to the lower Corrals parking lot from Hard Guy. As I whizzed by on the 5 'n' 5, all I could think was what kind of pain those guys were in!

mtbr member

Red Sands is next on the list of hills to try...

those 3 little intervals should test the 34X21... I think that I need to also invest in new tires. the recycled pythons (i.e. bald-slicky-hand me downs) are great when things are frozen or moist but tough when dry and sandy... any recommendations? #4 calls to me now... "try me again little flip boy"... "try me again..... "
    so many hills still to hit... hard guy, scotts, bogus, tablerock....

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Fire XC

I think that I need to also invest in new tires. the recycled pythons (i.e. bald-slicky-hand me downs) are great when things are frozen or moist but tough when dry and sandy... any recommendations?
    I recent bought a set of the "air light" 2.0 Pythons for racing. (Pricepoint had a great deal - 2 for $34 for the 480g version.) I don't use 'em for everyday trail riding, though - too soft compound, and not enough bite for most conditions around here. I still think that the tried and true Panaracer Fire XC is still one of the better tires for everyday XC use in foothills - not superlight (around 580g per tire), but they provide plenty of grip and pretty long wearing. Your tradeoff is pretty high rolling resistance. I'm using one right now as the rear tire on my Superlight. They can also be had for pretty cheap online.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Thats great BelaySlave, keep going after tougher hills. I am glad there is someone here that can admit to stopping durring a ride to catch a breath, I do.

I'm 33 and took up Mt.Biking 3 years ago and never looked back. My goals that have fallen were climbing 8th street to the Boise Ridge road, climbing up Bogus Basin Road to Bogus Basin Ski Resort to the lower parking lot, each of these I had to stop once or twice and refocus but I did them. I ride trails 28 and 29 quite a bit, sometimes 8th street to the ATV parking lot, ect. I really enjoy this area, we are all very lucky to have such an awsome playground.

See you guys and ladies out there.

King of the Barneys

I shoulda mentioned...

I'm running 32x20 so it helps make the close in rides, at least, more or less doable.

The Red Sands success surprised me, but I was feeling great, and used a lot of upper body and stood the whole steenkin way, as you might imagine.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin