Weight Training- Mtbr.com

Thread: Weight Training

mtbr member
    May 2004

Weight Training

Hey, this was discussed before. I've been lifting about 3X per week, getting it going consistently. Seems sort of "contradictory" to what you need to be limber and fit specifically for riding huh? But, and I think Cbro agreed w/me on this - it converts fat to muslce and builds bone density, so I think (all other things staying nice and equal), that this is one thing that can help one stay active and ride into middle and old age!!!!

Probably just riding a lot in itself builds bone density too, esp. pushing bigger gears, it is a form of weight bearing exercise, but it's limited to mostly lower body.

just a man

Agreed

I just started back on weight training and have a pretty good resource I use for the different lifts I do. One thing I am trying to remember to do is some LIGHT stretching AFTER a good warmup and then my lifting. Varying the lifts and keeping the variety with some stretching definitely can help with maintaining dexterity. It was an old fallacy that lifting would cause one to become "muscle-bound" since an intense lift actually stretches and tears the tissues. Agreed about the bone density factor. Lifting should help anyone maintain a better physical fitness level into older ages.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Right on! You've got it in your garage huh? Hey what's the new avatar? I like it!

Barneys Unite!
    I'm over 50, but I have noticed that I ride much better (in terms of strength and stamina) when I am lifting weights 3-4 times per week.

Last spring I laid off the weights, and it was a big mistake.

Just my .02

TF

Hi!!!
    I know there is that camp that firmly believes all the workout they need is by riding their bikes all the time.

But IMNSHO, actual strength/core/flexibility work on a regular basis or really emphasized during the off-season really does help improve your riding.

I'm far from being a typical musclehead, but I do try to hit the gym a couple of times a week during the winter/spring. More for maintenance rather than bulking up.

Right now, I'm doing a ski conditioning class two times a week that goes into December (we are 4 weeks into it). This class incorporates the following into a pretty intense 1.5 hour class: cardio, strength, core, flexibility, plyometrics, bounding. Since it starts "late" for me, I try to get in a really quick and easy strength workout doing both dips and pull-ups before class starts.

When class is over next month, I'll still hit the weight room at least twice a week. My workout over the years has been pretty simple. Three sets of 12 reps...bench press, seated row, lat pull-down, shoulder press, bicep curls, tricep extensions. I don't hit the lower body as often as I should, but when I do I usually just do squats, leg presses, lunges, and calf raises.

When the good weather in the spring hits though, I'm rarely in the gym.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Right on! You've got it in your garage huh? Hey what's the new avatar? I like it!
    Yes, the very low-key home fitness center cuts my workout times down with no commute, waiting in line for a machine, and I can switch from one lift to the other very quickly, maintaining the intensity of the workout.

I just wanna know how Ian got them huge popeye forearms - mine resemble starving gopher snakes. If the answer is "genetics" I am doomed to spaghetti arms....

The avatar is of an ancient symbol.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes, I really don't like to wait for a machine and get a bit "irked" when someone sort of hogs a machine! If someone asks me I let them know how many sets I have left and will invite them to work in if they want.

There are some good sights at the gym, and I like being around like-minded folk, the positive energy and vibe.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    That's degrading, insulting, disgusting, irresponsible and perverse. I've never read anything so repulsive in my life. I think I'm going to be sick to my stomach.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I was sick to my stomach, but I think it was because I thought about chili cheese fries with onions too long.

Do we fall under Rule #2?
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TERVOR THE GREAT
    I don't lift, but that's because I can ride super high intensity laps around my track whenever I want...
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Do you know that you can be very annoying? Try a mtb related post occassionally, and something that makes sense, instead of pretending you are a comedian.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Do you know that you can be very annoying? Try a mtb related post occassionally, and something that makes sense, instead of pretending you are a comedian.
    Yes I know. I try.

I wasn't kidding this time though. I really don't lift because I ride laps around the track.

And don't take yourself so seriously... It can be annoying.

mtbr member
    May 2004

No

Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    Yes I know. I try.

I wasn't kidding this time though. I really don't lift because I ride laps around the track.

And don't take yourself so seriously... It can be annoying.
    I was talking to that Visicypher dude.

Yeah not taking oneself too seriously is good advice. Tervor 16 and going on 40!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Do you **** **** ******** in a bunch or do you cut to the chase and **** a *****.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TERVOR THE GREAT
    I was talking to that Visicypher dude.

Yeah not taking oneself too seriously is good advice. Tervor 16 and going on 40!
    Haha, well I know I am annoying though...

Trevor

Refer to rules #1, #2, & #7.

Quit that...you are only go to incite rioting...

TC - when to do we get to play in the wind for 60 miles again?

dirt enthusiast
    hey al~ when are you and dmeek going to post the next trail maintainence day?! we still got plenty of stuff to take care of the lower footies!
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh this is Al. Sorry. I just find some of your post to be, well, I just find them distasteful. sorry about that. I

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    ********** that's the ****you just flush **** troubles **** *** drain.

mtbr member

Weights

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    I just started back on weight training and have a pretty good resource I use for the different lifts I do. One thing I am trying to remember to do is some LIGHT stretching AFTER a good warmup and then my lifting. Varying the lifts and keeping the variety with some stretching definitely can help with maintaining dexterity. It was an old fallacy that lifting would cause one to become "muscle-bound" since an intense lift actually stretches and tears the tissues. Agreed about the bone density factor. Lifting should help anyone maintain a better physical fitness level into older ages.
    Oh where to begin?

First of all, lifting is a great way to help with bone density, especially with cyclists, as it has been shown that we are one segment of the population that has issues with spinal problems in regards to bone density. Performing non-cycling weight bearing and lifting activities will help build/keep/slow the degradation process depending on age and condition.

Second, stretching and flexibility is important for health and performance. If one is goint to stretch, he should do it after his workout is finished. It is better to perform a dynamic warmup rather than performing stretching before the workout. It is not a good thing to stretch prior to competition as studies have shown that it will decrease your power and overall performance.
    In fact, some researchers are now pointing at not stretching at all, period.
    A few years ago, another clinician back in Minnesota had shown me some of the numbers from the U of M comparing injury rates with their classic stretching program and then compared to their "no stretching program" and the numbers were quite eye opening. The numbers had indicated that injury rates to athletes across all sprots were significantly decreased after the no-stretch program was implemented.

As far as weight training for cycling, there are plenty of sources out there with specific programs. Some basic things to remember would be to remember sports speceficity (train how you compete) by performing higher reps for more conditioning and performing occasional fast olympic style/plyometric style exercises to improve power for climbing and sprints.
    It is a great time to work on imbalances as well, make sure that our cores are being strengthened, make sure that our hips/pelvis is being worked. As cyclilsts we perform so much linear activity that it is a good idea to work on multiple directions including lateral exercises to balance our bodies. Life does not travel in a straight line like a bike or endurance running.

I could bore you all with endless research and numbers etc, etc, etc.....

If anybody wants more info, just give me a private message.

BoiseBoy MPT, CSCS
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    I don't lift weights...and I don't really think I need to. Biking is enough exercise and my bones haven't started to deteriorate yet. I figure as I'm only 15 I have quite a few years left to go before osteoporosis takes its toll.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor
    Either ive got a lot of mud on my tire, or i'm hauling Kenne's ego

Members who have read this thread: 0