This weekend- Mtbr.com

Thread: This weekend

Rocks Rock

This weekend

Who wants to ride south of the river Sat. morning? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Careful what you ask for!

Quote Originally Posted by impdude
    Anyone? Anyone?
    Even me?

Got my bike issues fixed yesterday and will shake it down on a night ride tonight.

My wife wants to go for a ride this weekend. She's not up for too long of a ride, so I'm trying to convince her to do a little exploring around Bingo.

What time are you planning on heading out? Perhaps we could ride part-way with you.

HH

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Are you happy with the work John (Custom Cyles) did for you? I'm very pleased taking my bike there

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Custom Cycles Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Are you happy with the work John (Custom Cyles) did for you? I'm very pleased taking my bike there
    Sorry to hijack Impdude's thread, but yeah, I like Jon and Dan at Custom. Tom Patek (owner of World Cycle) used to be my next door neighbor and still lives in the neighborhood. It's kind of bad neighborhood form to shop anywhere but World Cycle. They really treat me right at World, and I never thought I'd take a bike anywhere else for service.

Custom is right up there for friendliness and quality of service. When I told Jon what happened to my derailleur cable he replaced both the front and back cables for free. He didn't need to do it, but he felt bad that a product he had recommended gave me so much trouble. Can't beat that type of attitude and service!

World and Custom are my two favorite shops. We're fortunate to have them and so many other great shops in town!

HH

Hi!!!
    Hopefully heading out there Sunday morning at around 10am. That's a wee bit early, but I'm a Super Bowl pregame OD'ing nut.

Gonna park at the first parking lot on the left as soon as the road turns to dirt. Look for a yellow Ford Escape with a hitch rack. Probably only gonna ride 1.5 - 2 hours. I'm not familiar with the names of trails out there so I'm just going off what I'm familiar with and will probably do a lil' bit of exploring.

Oh...and I'm molasses SLOW. Seriously...really damn slow.

Nick

EDIT

My two fave shops are in my signature....Custom Cycle and Reed's. Even though I am a parttime REI homer, I steer folks with bike problems to either shop.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    why do you park in that parking lot? the trailhead is from the other lot

mtbr member
    Hey nick, I would be up for tagin along if you don't mind!? Your time schedule looks perfect for me. I haven't been on the bike in several weeks or more like several months, so I expect to be slow myself. Mariah might like to go also. Neither of us has ever ridden out there so it would be nice to have a leisurely ride to get familiar with the area. PM me if your interested in the company.

Rich
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Sorry to hijack the thread again, but where is Custom? My favorite guys at Georges here in Meridian (including Surly himself) up and moved over to Fairview and 5 Mile, which unfortunately is not at all convenient for me. (I miss my 5 minute commute to the bike shop from my office.) Reed's is also really far from both my office and house. That, and I stopped by IMT the other day and recognized only one guy in the shop. I got the usual poor, snobby, surly service at the downtown George's the other day (only Jason seems to be friendly and do a good job), so I need a new shop. Is Custom out on State Street?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Custom's Address

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Sorry to hijack the thread again, but where is Custom?
    This thread is getting yanked around, isn't it?

2515 Lander St.
    Off state street, right behind Buck's 4-Wheeler. I mean RIGHT behind it. The shop is in a converted garage.
    338-5228 http://www.customcycles.com/

Jon is currently at a yurt in the Sawtooths, so they'll be closed until Tuesday.
    They don't stock a heck of a lot, it's more like an old school pro shop.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    When you go to Jon and Dan's ask to look at the dream bike program. It'll change your life.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Rocks Rock

Just wondering around this cool thread.

I'm not offended. "It's all just public domain." (to steal a line from Jerry Jeff Walker)
    Dean and I should be getting to the trail head (first lot on the right after the feed lot) about 9:30 or 10:00.
    Am I being kind?

Rocks Rock

Opppppps

Guess we're not leaving Columbia Village till 9:30 so it will be closer to 10:30 at the trial head.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    May 2004

You have a good ride I hope

Quote Originally Posted by impdude
    Guess we're not leaving Columbia Village till 9:30 so it will be closer to 10:30 at the trial head.
    Saw your car you saw mine. I started out on the trailhead about 10:30 I guess. Did you do a full loop? I didn't go across Reynolds this time.

Couldn't make it up the switchback that leads up to the rock area where we usually eat lunch. Not sure why, just not enuf power today! I tried it 4 times. Oh well. Found a new line on the little rock chute.

Bingos sure was fun, I like the little rock jumps at speed.

Where the **** is the sun????? Serious S.A.D.!!!!

rock on

ps: crappy photo courtesy of verizon wireless and no editing
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 11-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.

gringo-fied facsimiles
    ep! you being such a quality customer and person, I will come to YOU ( pick up and drop off ) for all your BIKE needs. did I suck up enough. just let me know.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member

Meet in Meridian?

[QUOTE=BelaySlave]Hopefully heading out there Sunday morning at around 10am. That's a wee bit early, but I'm a Super Bowl pregame OD'ing nut.

>>>
    Nick,
    I'd like to go around that time on Sunday.
    Can we meet at the Meridian/Kuna Road -Gold's Gym Park and Ride?

Howley

Hi!!!
    Rich & Harley ---

PM's sent.

Rocks Rock

Yep did the whole loop.

Surprised you didn't catch me. I had a mechanical half way to Northwest Passage. Then I picked up some speed. I did the China wall then at the end climbed up thru Hillbilly Teeth rocks and screamed down the hill to the car. Got er done in 3 1/2 hours.
    I saw two guys finishing up a ride as I was getting started. They flew by me just as I was getting my bike off the rack. They headed down to Nick's parking lot and climbed in their white pickemup truck. When I left there were three rigs, including Dayrl's, parked by mine and two more down by the power lines.
    It was a great day!!!!!!!!!!
    Am I being kind?

liver abuser
    I was in State st George's on Wed. when the Custom guys called twice, disguising themselves as customers to ask advice on repairs. Too bad George's has caller id

Hi!!!
    What a gorgeous day today!!! I was out at Wilson Creek earlier today.

I strated my ride at 10am and saw no other people there except for a couple of ATV'ers in the Daryl/Dave parking lot.

Had a really good ride....no clue the names of the trails were on, but I eventually ended up on #100 going up. I last rode that a couple of years ago, but did not go as far as I did today. That was a fun lil' trail. Although there were a handful of times that I had to hop off and walk my bike. Ehhh....I'll hopefully get better skills this spring .

So I turned around (where does that trail go to anyways?) and headed back. I eventually got on that trail that turns to a fun, swoopy singletrack that heads back to the Daryl/Dave parking lot.

Just seconds before I hit the parking lot....I inadvertantly spooked a horse and rider . The horse got paniced and reared around on his/her hindlegs. Fortunately the rider was able to control the horse. I apologized profusely and got off to the side of the trail to let them pass. She was pretty cool about it. She said that she liked when "we" (I'm guessing MTB'ers) had bells. I would assume that is to warn trail users, particularly horses, that someone was coming up. Guess I'll dig my bear bell out of my desk at work and reattach it to my pack.

Overall a great day of riding!!! I hope folks here got to ride today...awesome day for it!!!

Nick

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    What a great February weekend of riding. Can anyone remember when the footies were this dry in February?? Friday was a solo SS ride on Dork+Sidewinder, Saturday was an early AM freeze fest with SFS and Roger Rabbit on 3 Bears, followed by breakfast and more SSing with RRB, SFS, and Crash_burn on a Sunday AM tour of the lower footies. Good trails, good riding and great company.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Earthpig; 02-05-2007 at 09:31 AM.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Not only that but the skate skiing is glidalicious, I had a slumber party last night and the World Series is on tonight. What a charmed life.

Hi!!!
    Awesome news Geoff! If the Footies are nice and dry, then damnit to hell I'm gonna hit up Military Reserve on Wed night!!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    ep! you being such a quality customer and person, I will come to YOU ( pick up and drop off ) for all your BIKE needs. did I suck up enough. just let me know.
    Now THAT'S customer service! I'm still so sad to see you guys move. Is the new shop open yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

No good Truth for Gonzo

Hey Dude,
    My neighbor called your shop for questions regarding headshock service.
    So be glad he sent you some business. Dont be mistaken, I dont need advice from Georges.

rides with scissors
    Feb 2007
    It looks like this thread has run out, but in case anybody cares, I did call George's from Custom, and that dude thinking that I was disguising myself is really very odd. He should read "Ten Philosophical Mistakes" by Mortimer Adler and learn the difference between fact and mere opinion.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Threads never wear out.

I was standing next to Tom Patek when he called Chris Haunold to see if he had a certain size of shoe in stock. My point is that the kids at George's were probably being childish and silly.

Members who have read this thread: 0