Wed. evening Foothill'ing....uhhh what's the appeal of SS'ing?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Wed. evening Foothill'ing....uhhh what's the appeal of SS'ing?

My right knee was screaming at me on the upper half of Sidewinder. So someone remind me why I took up SS'ing several years ago. Was it because I wanted to be "cool" and "different"? I'm no more than a bandwagoneer with the whole SS'ing thing. Read about it on here and saw that a handful of Boise folks were doing it so I figured "what the heck". It's been a tumultuous ride ever since *swallows more ibuprofen*

Ehhhh....I'll hop back on Big Raina again next week for even more punishment.

Good to run into a couple of folks last night....
    Almer
    Tamara
    Rich
    Mariah

We started out at Military Reserve and eventually made our way over to Sidewinder and then #4 and then back to Military Reserve. The weather was so pleasant last night...maybe a bit too windy...but at least it was in the upper 90s with the sun beating down on ya'. It was quite cool though rolling back to Fort Boise at 8pm. Next time I'm packing a jacket.

At first I thought it was pretty quiet out there but as soon as we began climbing up the Connector, we started seeing more and more riders out. A definite change from last month when you could count the number of riders you saw on a midweek ride on only two hands.

Hope folks here got in some good riding last night!

Nick

Barneys Unite!
    I was up at MR yesterday around 4:00 PM. By the time I got to the Shane's Connector, the wind was really blowing - one big gust almost knocked me over.

Still - it was fun not being covered with sweat!

King of the Barneys
    I was asking myself the same question when I did 3 hard (for me, anyway) SS rides in 2 days back-to-back after being off the SS for a couple months. The Ole Rev spoiled me, what with all that LaZ-Boy cush and 22x34 gearing. But that said, you either love the punishment and challenges of a SS or you don't. For me? I'm still stricken by group hypnosis, but it was wearing off and I was coming to conciousness last week...

Climbing the connector on a SS is always a kick in the cojones. And Sidewinder's a good grind up, too. If you've been on the Yeti all summer, maybe you bit off too much too soon on the SS.

So, are you taking a group out tonight? I've moved the Barneys to Thursday night, more to call the bluff of a few who said Tues didn't work. We'll see..

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I've seen more wrecks and injuries in the footies in the past couple of weeks than I can recall. It seems people aren't checking their speed when they enter the sand traps (which seem more numerous this year) and then they're overcompensating when their wheels get swallowed. With the thundering herds reappearing it's going to be a real bloodbath out there. Body parts scattered, limbless joggers, headless dog walkers, blood and guts, skin melting, eyes exploding, everybody happy. An American dream come true.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    So, are you taking a group out tonight?
    Not really....it looks like Rock Island may be the place to be tonight (refer to my Rock Island'ing thread).

Suprisingly I felt somewhat strong (depite the pain in the right knee now) last night. It was fun.

I can see why the "Big S", aka Specialized, absolutely LOVES Georges. I think the ratio of their bikes to other bikes was like 10:1.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I've seen more wrecks and injuries in the footies in the past couple of weeks than I can recall. It seems people aren't checking their speed when they enter the sand traps (which seem more numerous this year) and then they're overcompensating when their wheels get swallowed.
    Speaking of....saw some dude last night wipe out on his Salsa CX near the top of the Connector. Said it was his first time out on the bike.

Barneys Unite!
    Come on, Nick. I'm gona do the Barney ride tonight - and I might bring homeade salsa.

TF

Members who have read this thread: 0