Visiting - where should we ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Visiting - where should we ride?

Hey all,

My wife and I will be road-tripping through the Montana, Wyoming, Idaho area on our way to Interbike. We haven't decided what route we'll take. I want to spend at least a couple days riding in the general area before heading to Moab for a couple days. Is there a "must visit" for riding? Is there a "must visit" town that has a cool, relaxed mountain vibe with riding near by? Are there any bike parks (chairlift stuff) still open? (If so, she can relax for an afternoon in a coffee shop, haha) I am interested in anything from classic XC to freeride stuff, the wife... more into easier xc riding. I'd love to return to Canada with stories about an awesome town and riding spots that none of the locals have heard about.

thanks,

mtbr member
    McCall, Stanley, Sun Valley (if not on fire), Fruita, Moab, Gooseberry (outside Hurricane, UT) should all be fun spots on the way to Vegas...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    tamarack resort

cascade,ID
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    thanks guys!

May 2007

Pocatello on the way to Moab.

There are some hidden gems here. I went into Scotts Ski and Sports last week and they recommended this ride. Usually you get sent on a beginner ride but this time a epic was recommended. You get off the freeway south of Poky at the Portneuf exit. Go under the freeway and take the first left after the RR track going NW. Follow this RD until you get to Gibson Jack Rd. Take a left here and take the road until it ends. From the parking lot take the trail that crosses the creek. Take this to Slate Mnt Trail. Follow this to Mink Creek Rd. Cross the RD and take the trail that parallels the RD going south (you could ride the RD). If you take the trail you will come to Valve House take a right back to the RD. Take a left going south to the next pull out on the right (100 yards) or west side of the RD. Go up the West Fork. When you get to the RD take a right. Take this until you get to Gibson Jack. There is a right turn just before the one you will need to take. It look more like an ATV trail. Donít take this it is a huge climb. If you do you will know right away you are on the wrong trail. When you get to Gibson Jack you will go up a short hill (30 yards) and then you go down a great DH to the start of the ride.
    This is a great ride. As good as anything in Idaho.
    Watch out for the Moose. They are everywhere but are used to people.

Members who have read this thread: 0