Visiting Boise- Mtbr.com

Thread: Visiting Boise

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Visiting Boise

Hey,

I'm going to be visiting Boise, from Eugene, over the Thanksgiving weekend and was hoping to get some riding in while in town. So, I'm looking for some trail recommendations. I would consider myself an intermediate rider...Thanks!!

romp

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    1. Don't assume the trails will be rideable. This time of year, it's very hit or miss. Unlike your side of the Cascades, when it rains around here, our trails become mostly unrideable (or, at the very least, should not be ridden. That, unfortunately, doesn't stop some people.) Best bet is to check here on trail conditions: http://ridgetorivers.blogspot.com/

2. What trail to ride is going to be determined by the trail conditions. Sandier trails are better this time of year. Some of the sandier/more rideable trails will include Hulls Gulch, Crestline and Sidewinder. Trail 5 (Freestone Ridge) is also usually sandier and rideable. Here's a link to an interactive map of the trails: http://ridgetorivers.cityofboise.org...px#-1799536016

Think dry thoughts (although I will be counteracting you, since we need moisture and cold so our local ski area can open...)

mtbr member
    We will all try it out depending on weather and trail condidtions on T-Day

Join us: www.swimba.org

mtbr member
    Weather is supposed to be quite cold and rainy/snowy. Like earthpig said, stay off the trails when muddy- wreaks havoc on the them and can cause irreparable damage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    if trails are good:

Hulls Gulch to Sidewinder, Fat Tire and then down freestone gulch.

Or

Start at Fort Boise, and head up the dirt road, take a right at the trees and follow the trail until you either have to take a right or left. take a left and head up the switchbacks. at the top of the switchbacks, take a right, follow the trail until you meet a point where you can go 3 ways. pick either one that looks to head uphill, this is shanes loop. then have fun and continue uphill until you want to stop.
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the replies...it is looking awfully cold and snowy...I'll keep my fingers crossed that it'll pass till Sunday!! Then hopefully Bogus will open soon for ya'll

mtbr member
    Ride early while the trails are still frozen and you'll be fine...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Ride early while the trails are still frozen and you'll be fine...
    Assuming that the temps go low enough that the trails actually freeze....but given that the lows are supposed to be below zero and highs well below freezing this week, you should be fine.

Assuming you enjoy riding in below zero temps and in 6+ inches of snow.

Members who have read this thread: 0