Visiting in Big Timber- Mtbr.com
    Leave it all on the trail

Visiting in Big Timber

We usually help all those seeking advice when they visit Oregon so I hope to get some here regarding rides in Montana

Visiting my folks and I bought a book called Montana Singletrack and it seems to be a kick a## book. I have picked out two rides that are not far and easy to navigate since I am by myself. I have chosen Emerald Lake and Hood Creek. It seems that both are really close to eachother and I should be able to do both in one afternoon. By the way I am in Big Timber.

Will I need a car be okay for the fire roads? or should I borrow my old mans truck?
    Ummm...nothing else really concerns me at this point unless some people would like to put there two cents in.

Any good watering holes in Timber? lol

You all rock, thanks in advance
    Charlie

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Emerald Lake is up in Hylite, and accessible with a regular car -- I usually take my '89 Honda Civic wagon and drive SLOWLY the last 2-3 miles... Emerald and Hood would be a good day (Emerald by itself is a good day, and up there you could also consider riding History rock, by parking at the bridge just after langor campground, up the logging road, and down history rock returning to your car via pavment...)

If you're coming over to Bozeman to ride, I also strongly suggest checking out the bangtail divide trail -- just north of town.

There's a couple options, but if you don't have a shuttle, you can do the Grassy mountain loop (ride number 12) self-contained, which includes the best downhill stretch (and some road miles)

Another super sweet downhill is Garnet (#7 -- on the way to big sky, not any further than driving into Hylite.

My absolute favorite area ride (a bit south of Big Sky) is Wapiti Creek (#3)

My understanding is there are a few rides in the Crazies (North of Livingston) which might be closer options to Big Timber -- you should talk to the bike shop guy in Livingston about those options...

Happy riding, it's been hot and smoky lately in these parts

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    Go to Livingston and check out the Crazies, a bit closer to Big Timber. Bozeman has plenty ofr good rides to choose from. What are you looking for, more of an XC ride, or a up and back downhill kinda deal?

Leave it all on the trail
    I really appreciate you guys responding and pointing the way. I ended up hitting Emerald Lake on Friday and I was really impressed! I almost managed the middle ring to the top, but the 104 heat eventually got me. Absolutely amazing apline area at 9000ft! The only bummer about that ride was a group of (30-40) runners (kids) were in route to the top during my downhill session. I was pretty tired so the breaks were kinda nice and plus I had some nice downhill sections at the top.

Again, thank you to you both for helping me out. I only rode once, but I can't wait to come back for more.

Montana Rocks it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

thanks for the thanks

It's good to get that follow-up feedback. Next time to the area, ask us sooner and stay longer!

Members who have read this thread: 0