UT / ID MTB vacation - mostly ID- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

UT / ID MTB vacation - mostly ID

Well, it's coming up on "that time of year" again - time for the annual MTB vacation to
    places we've yet to ride. This year, it'll be mostly Idaho.

Here's the plan so far. Please let me know if, in your opinion, this is GOING TO ROCK!

(I tried to spread out the drives to be tolerable and link together fun trails - fun according
    to the "chilis" rating system here on mtbr's Trail review section)

Flying in to SLC on June 29th, landing at about 6:30 PM, picking up a rental minivan and driving to:

Pocatello (2.5 hr drive from SLC) and ride there Saturday, June 30th

Twin Falls (1.75 hr drive from Pocatello) and ride there on Sunday, July 1st

Mccall (4.25 hr drive from Twin Falls) and ride there on the 2rd and 3rd (Monday and Tuesday)

Boise (2.25 hr drive from Mccall) and ride there on Wednesday the 4th

Pocatello (3.3 hr drive from Boise) and ride there on Thursday the 5th

Park City (3 hr drive from Pocatello) and ride there on Friday, Saturday and Sunday the 6th, 7th and 8th

Good?

Bad?

UgLy?

Should I skip something and spend more time elsewhere?

Oh yeah, we're "All Mountain" type riders looking for technically challenging trails.

Thanks,
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Hoops - Big and Small
    Skip Pocatello/Twin Falls go staight to Sun Valley/Stanley

Go to McCall/Tamarack

Skip Boise/Pocatello

Go to Park City/Moab

Thats my take

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Skip Pocatello/Twin Falls go staight to Sun Valley/Stanley

Go to McCall/Tamarack

Skip Boise/Pocatello

Go to Park City/Moab

Thats my take

OK - I'll look at laying out that route. Hopefully, the drive times aren't outrageous.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

Hoops - Big and Small

Vacation Riding

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    OK - I'll look at laying out that route. Hopefully, the drive times aren't outrageous.
    I'm sure there is great riding in the area's I recommended skipping it's just the other area's cater to vacationers and I think you'll have a much easier time hitting up some epic rides in those area's

That said somebody from the Boise crew could probably show you the Bogus Ski area if you happen to stop in Boise for some riding.

Anybody ridden Mink Canyon or City of Rocks area?

Oh yeah - then there's ID/WY border area, Driggs/Jackson

mtbr member
    I agree. While Boise, Pocatello and Twin have decent riding, if you're flying to ride the "best" trails, I'd stick to the big mountains.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

King of the Barneys
    If you're skipping Pocatello and Twin, you may want to fly into Boise or SV, and then make a dandy loop NE to SV for a couple days, a day in Stanley, a day in McCall, a day doing the chairlifts at Tamarack, a day of Bogus Trails, then on down to UT for Wasatch/Whatever/Gooseberry/Moab/Fruita, et al, in UT for a couple days, and fly out of SLC.

Just a thought. And from looking at some of your blog videos, you'd probably like Bear Pete, and Duck Lake/20 Mile Creek in McCall, not to mention all the cool dh stuff at Tamarack.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    I'm biased, but I would also suggest SLC to SunValley, Stanley, McCall/Tamarack resort, long drive to SLC and ParkCity

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I agree with what others have said except...

since you're flying into SLC, I'd skip Idaho all together. I don't see the sense in driving seven or eight hours to get to McCall/Tamarack when there's so much riding to be had in the SLC area and points south. If you were flying into Boise, It'd be a different story. Here's my take:

Stay in the the SLC/Wasatch Front area and ride the trails and lift assisted downhills in the Park City and Deer Valley area. I'd spend four of five days here and then motor down to Brian Head/Cedar Breaks area for four or five days. I recommend this area over Moab because it will be gawd awful hot in Moab in late June and early July. It doesn't mean people don't go but getting up at 5:00 a.m. to be on the trail by 6:00 just to beat the heat is not my idea of fun. spring and fall are the times to go to Moab - the summer heat is for mad dogs and German tourerrists

Check http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I agree with the rest, head straight to Sun Valley/Stanley. If you also go to McCall, the Deadwood/Julie Creek loop is also worth checking out; it's on the way to McCall. The first couple miles of this climb is fairly punishing!

I'll be out there, myself, in mid July (Sun Valley/Stanley).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bong_Crosby
    since you're flying into SLC, I'd skip Idaho all together. I don't see the sense in driving seven or eight hours to get to McCall/Tamarack when there's so much riding to be had in the SLC area and points south. If you were flying into Boise, It'd be a different story. Here's my take:

Stay in the the SLC/Wasatch Front area and ride the trails and lift assisted downhills in the Park City and Deer Valley area. I'd spend four of five days here and then motor down to Brian Head/Cedar Breaks area for four or five days. I recommend this area over Moab because it will be gawd awful hot in Moab in late June and early July. It doesn't mean people don't go but getting up at 5:00 a.m. to be on the trail by 6:00 just to beat the heat is not my idea of fun. spring and fall are the times to go to Moab - the summer heat is for mad dogs and German tourerrists

Check http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/

Excellent suggestions. You've made a good point. We looked at booking flights further in
    to ID, but the price difference was significant. Like, $400 different. That's 4 days of cheap
    motels with hot, post-ride showers!

I'll work up a new plan based on the URL that you provided and your suggestions and post
    it for review. (Park City/Deer Valley/Brian Head/Cedar Breaks)

Sorry, ID. I fuct up.

I'm also looking at "biting the bullet" and changing the flight to land in Boise. That may be
    the only way to "fix" this MTB vacation so that it is indeed an ID vacation.
    Last edited by Evil Patrick; 04-03-2007 at 05:38 AM.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    I would not suggest riding in City of Rocks. The climbing is great but the trails are flat and only there to access the rocks. And, you can't get camping.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Wandervans

my suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Flying in to SLC on June 29th, landing at about 6:30 PM, picking up a rental minivan and driving to:

Pocatello (2.5 hr drive from SLC) and ride there Saturday, June 30th

Twin Falls (1.75 hr drive from Pocatello) and ride there on Sunday, July 1st

Mccall (4.25 hr drive from Twin Falls) and ride there on the 2rd and 3rd (Monday and Tuesday)

Boise (2.25 hr drive from Mccall) and ride there on Wednesday the 4th

Pocatello (3.3 hr drive from Boise) and ride there on Thursday the 5th

Park City (3 hr drive from Pocatello) and ride there on Friday, Saturday and Sunday the 6th, 7th and 8th
    been lurking with my breif break from school for a couple of weeks, here is my suggested route for all-mountain/ technical... assuming you can read a map and have some decent route finding ability.... plus don't mind some long rides for amazing views.

fly into boise, buy dinner for local to fill you in on trails
    day 1: drive to smokeys and ride east fork of skeleton (2hr drive) then drive to hailey/sv
    day 2: ride off deer creek rd near hailey/sv ride wolftone and the nf of deer creek
    or ride mahoney/imperial gulch and then oregon gulch in sv backwards
    day 3: drive to stanley ride boundry creek to williams-fischer( 6 hr ride)
    or ride bowery loop outside of stanley (6hr ride)
    day 4: drive towards lowan and shuttle warmsprings trail off of hwy 21
    day 5: ride Julie-creek trail backwards on way to mccall
    day 6: ride tamarack resort, rent downhill bike..
    day 7: Ride mccall loon lake or eagles nest or twenty mile
    day 8: Big mccall ride kennally creek to rapid river (6hr)
    day 9: Drive to boise and ride in Boise at stack rock

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

King of the Barneys
    Chris is back! Duck for cover, hide the women!

Warm Springs trail. That's the one I was trying to describe. Your Nos. 3 & 7 are some top favorites, and would suggest up to Duck Lake, out 20 mile if he can engineer the put-ins and take outs.

Your itinerary sounds quite epic, awesome and exhausting.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin