Unscientific survey of local trail usage- Mtbr.com
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Unscientific survey of local trail usage

Earthpig has a thread in the Singlespeed forum (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=61699 ) as to whether singlespeeding has jumped the shark. The responses (as well a my recent SS conversion) got me wonderering what the ride type statistics are for our local northern Rockies trails. I'll generalize about ride types to be geared-and-suspension, singlespeed and cyclocross. I'll generalize about local trails to be less than a 1 hour drive to a trailhead. I'll also (possibly unfairly) generalize about this forum that the most of posters here are local to Boise, there are a handful of Missoula riders, and there are a few scattered outliers.

For example, for 3:30 spent on Boise foothills trails in the past two days I saw 3 cyclocrossers (one was earthpig), 3 singlespeeders (I was one on one day) and about 15 geared-and-suspension (I was one the other day). It being late fall, I'd say that these were dedicated riders. On an average June morning one might expect to see over 100 geared-and-suspension, 3-5 singlespeeders, and maybe a lone cyclocrosser (earthpig hehehe). I'll go out on a limb and say that we can expect the numbers of local singlespeeders double in the next year.

All this is purely academic - I doubt any of us are going to change our rides because of a trend. I certainly didn't do a SS convert because I'm a lemming jumping a shark heheh.

Boise riders: What do you think of these numbers?

Missoula riders: What are you singlespeed demographics?

Any other locale willing to share?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Friday, Crestline/Sidewinder/HullsGulch -- 1 cyclocross, 3 hardtails, 2 full suspension
    Saturday, Corrals/Bobs -- 3 full suspension

I can't believe I only saw two other bikes today on Corrals/Bobs, and I didn't even see any roadies on Bogus Basin road. It was absolutely gorgeous out, except for the wind. Trails were in perfect shape. I really should have gone for a longer ride.

Barneys Unite!

I was riding some of the 8th Street trails on Saturday,

around 10:30 am, and I only saw three riders. I was rather surprised, because the temperature wasn't bad.

Sunday was another matter. It was COLD early.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

no implication on recent SS converts

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    All this is purely academic - I doubt any of us are going to change our rides because of a trend. I certainly didn't do a SS convert because I'm a lemming jumping a shark heheh.

Boise riders: What do you think of these numbers?
    Hey Twist, I wasn't trying to imply that recent SS converts are in any way bad. Hey, I'm in the process of helping a buddy built up his old K2 Zed into a singlespeed. The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned. Heck, I may actually get SWISS off the ground if we can get enough SS'ers in the valley.

I only was able to get out on two rides this weekend. Friday, 3 PM to 5 PM - Chickadee, Hulls, Freeway, Sidewinder, Freeway, Connector, Reserve (by the shooting range) Bucktail, Central Ridge, Black Forest, Elephant Rock - 2 crossers (one was me, passed the other guy as he was coming down Hulls and I was riding up), 1 singlespeeder (Twisted), and maybe 5 - 7 other riders, all on geared mountain bikes. (Two I saw in the C-back parking lot, not on the trails.)

Saturday 8 AM - Tablerock and Castlerock trails. 1 rider (me, gears and full suspension) and probably 15 hikers. Given that it was 25 degrees, I'm not surprised I didn't see anybody else, but it was one of the best rides I've had in weeks.

Last Wednesday night - 7:30 - 9:15 PM - Owl's Roost - Kestrel - Connector - Reserve (by the shooting range) - Bucktail - Shane's loop - Central Ridge - Cottonwood Canyon (hit in the head by a bat - that was pretty cool) - the new reserve trail that parallels mtn cove road - Connector - Freeway - Kestrel - Chickadee. 1 singlespeeder (me), and 1 gearie. We saw at least 7 other riders at a distance, however, and I would classify then as - 5 halogen and 2 HID.

Last Tuesday night - 9 PM to 10:30 PM - Castlerock/Tablerock. 1 gearie (me).

mtbr member
    May 2004

Single Speed Demo's in Missoula

I ride the local trails around Missoula 3-5 days a week during the biking season. I could honestly say I've run into two single speeders over the past few years. I hear rumors that more are out there and I know people with single speeds but I only know one kid who soley single speeds. I think that the trails in Missoula are way too steep to get a larger single speed community going. I'm not saying that people don't ride these trails on single speeds, just that the trails limit those that do to the clinically insane or way over fit (young) category. On the other hand this place is loaded with cyclocross nuts. You see them starting to get the race face on around August and continue to see quite a few up until ice covers the trails. Missoula of course is a much smaller town than Boise so comparisons can be difficult and should be taken with a grain of salt.
    James

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Under the Black Flag of the SWISS

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Hey Twist, I wasn't trying to imply that recent SS converts are in any way bad. Hey, I'm in the process of helping a buddy built up his old K2 Zed into a singlespeed. The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned. Heck, I may actually get SWISS off the ground if we can get enough SS'ers in the valley.

snipsnipsnip
    No offense taken of course - I'm just curious about the demographics and perceptions. If I can convert riders to SS I will know that my role on this planet has become fulfilled heheh.

Count me in for SWISS. I've always wanted to participate under the BLACK FLAG OF THE SWISS

Like you, I'll also be out there on the gears. I dunno about cyclocross though...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    [QUOTE=Earthpig]Last Wednesday night - 7:30 - 9:15 PM> We saw at least 7 other riders at a distance, however, and I would classify then as - 5 halogen and 2 HID.
    QUOTE]

The 7 could have been part of our group, on the trails from 1730 to 2030. 3 single-speeders, 10 gears, a mix of HID and halogens.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Cyclocross in Missoula

Quote Originally Posted by SciBot
    snipsnipsnip
    On the other hand this place is loaded with cyclocross nuts.
    Your comments on the number of cyclocross riders is not surprising. Missoula seems like a cyclocross kinda town. I've never ridden there but know the area well by virtue of in laws. I could see why SS has not really taken off there - it'd be a grunt just to get out of the valley.

Bozeman on the other hand would be more SS friendly. I lived there 20 years ago, chugging around the Gallatins and Bridgers in a rigid steel 15 speed Schwinn High Sierra that must have weighed 35 pounds.