Two nice Central Montana rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Two nice Central Montana rides

I did two real nice rides this weekend. On Saturday it was the Little Belts. I rode down the south fork of lost fork to lost fork and up burris trail and around for a nice big loop. You get about 5 miles of real nice downhill singletrack heading down. Going up burris trail is a pretty good climb (bout 2 miles) but a real nice trail with nice rounded switchbacks that you can actually pedal up. Then its just a road ride back to your car. Saw a baby black bear on the drive out too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sunday was the west peak of the big snowies at crystal lake. This is a real big climb but most of it is rideable. Once up top you can head to the ice caves and down the ridge on the uhlhorn trail. I hit the ice caves and rode down the ridge a few miles then went back the same route for a super nice downhill. The actual trail to the ice caves is steep and a lot of it isn't rideable so if you go I'd recommend this route.

mtbr member
    Here is the view from grandview pt about 2.5 miles up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nice! Those Little Belts look pretty big to me.

jones'in
    Very cool, thanks for sharing your adventures. The first picture in your first post reminds me a lot of the Emerald Lake trail near Bozeman. The Little Belts look like fun....

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Apr 2007
    im looking for a good place to ride in the monarch area. i have a map of the trails around there, i was just wondering which ones are the most fun. i dont want to drive up ther so i can ride uphill for 11 miles and downhill for 2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Big Snowy's

That is a fun ride, I did that earlier in the season. The downhill is amazing

BMX:Our Shining Future

They dont call it "Grandview" for nothin

When the air is clear you can see from Cananada to Wyoming. The Little Belts are indeed very big and have hundreds of miles of great trails and views. Unless it is hunting season you are very likely to be entirely alone up there as well. I would like to recommend Trail 437 up the Middle Fork of the Judith river. It is accessed from the east side you drive west from Utica to get to the trailhead. Its dang scenic.

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    Central MT. What town are those trails near?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The crystal lake trail is closest to Lewistown. I'm not exactly sure where the other trails are but Great Falls is probably the closest big town.

There is also some good riding in the highwoods.

Members who have read this thread: 0