Twin Falls, Miracle Hot Spings- Mtbr.com
    Rocks Rock

Twin Falls, Miracle Hot Spings

Anyone know of a good technical ride with lots of rocks around Miracle Hot Springs. It is between Hagerman and Buhl on Hwy 30.
    Am I being kind?

Wandervans

yeah it is called indian springs

and is only about 10 miles from hwy 93. Take N3000 E from downtown twin and then left on 2900 towards G3. There is a sign halfway between 2900 and G3 that says indian springs. Park in the gravel lot and start your ride across the dirt road.

Here are some pics:http://www.trailwize.com/IndianSprin...an_springs.htm

Nice lava rock to ride over!
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    and is only about 10 miles from hwy 93. Take N3000 E from downtown twin and then left on 2900 towards G3. There is a sign halfway between 2900 and G3 that says indian springs. Park in the gravel lot and start your ride across the dirt road.

Here are some pics:http://www.trailwize.com/IndianSprin...an_springs.htm

Nice lava rock to ride over!
    Sounds great—do you know how long of a ride this is? Is the start of the trail hard to find? I have only been in that area one other time…

mtbr member

New question here. Hagerman Valley

has anyone done this ride more recently than 2005? chris i looked at the pics on your website and for the same time of year this looks like the perfect ride for my son and i, who will be spending (at least) the weekend at miracle hot springs near hagerman.

does anyone have any other beta for the hagerman area? we are just going to do some birdwatching, riding, hanging out...i haven't spent much time in the town of hagerman but i have heard there is a decent restaurant there (at the hotel maybe?)

any suggestions would be much appreciated! too poor to go to oregon (the original plan) we're heading to the desert instead.

*sigh* the ocean will have to wait.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by MTNgirl
    has anyone done this ride more recently than 2005? chris i looked at the pics on your website and for the same time of year this looks like the perfect ride for my son and i, who will be spending (at least) the weekend at miracle hot springs near hagerman.

does anyone have any other beta for the hagerman area? we are just going to do some birdwatching, riding, hanging out...i haven't spent much time in the town of hagerman but i have heard there is a decent restaurant there (at the hotel maybe?)

any suggestions would be much appreciated! too poor to go to oregon (the original plan) we're heading to the desert instead.

I have not been down to Indian Springs in about two years, but last I heard they had been adding more signs and kiosks so it should be easier to navigate around.

The hagerman horse fossil area is great for kids, but you need to check on the schedules for tours. http://www.nps.gov/hafo/

There is an excellent resturant in town, but the name escapes me. I would just ask when you get down there.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    thanks chris!
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

chukarhntr1
    Nov 2007
    Is there a website with maps showing locations of the trails around the Twin Falls area? I usually end up visiting the in-laws in Twin a couple times a year, and the Indian Springs trail looks like a blast.

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarhntr1
    Is there a website with maps showing locations of the trails around the Twin Falls area? I usually end up visiting the in-laws in Twin a couple times a year, and the Indian Springs trail looks like a blast.
    no website with maps, you just have to go out there and explore
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Miracle is near Buhl. Indian Springs is south of Kimberly. Bunches of new 1 track directly east of lower parking area. The locals have been hard at work.

OCO
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarhntr1
    http://www.backcountrysecrets.com/po...px?pointID=378
    Last edited by OCO; 03-12-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    Find and Share GPS Coordinates of Trails to Ride: Backcountry Secrets

mtbr member

i went down to this area yesterday to ride (3/25/08). little rain..but the trails were in great shape.

chris and anyone else...maybe you can help tell me what i rode. based on the description that follows here:

i parked in the gravel lot on the left hand side, about 1/4 mile or less after the 'T' -when you hit the gravel road...started riding on the single track across the street (right hand side of rode as you head in).

trail forks...i went left and climbed up a drainage. intersected a jeep road and stayed to the right - climbing a little big more....very gradual.

saw some irrigation valves, piping, etc. some troughs in the distance...100 yards across. singletrack takes off straight....but, i went to the right....rolling along lava rock for a ways..all singletrack...and then dropped back down after wrapping around a little plateau feature.....dropped down...passed where i took the fork originally....and got back to the car.

45 minute ride or so...stopped to water the dogs...and chill/relax...but, 45 minutes is about the length of my ride/loop. 5ish miles, maybe 6...i don't know.

so what did i ride?

very cool little ride. singletrack is sooooooo nice. too bad boise doesn't have singletrack like this...all over. but, obviously, boise foothills trails gets a lot more use.

cool that the atvs, etc. have stayed off the singletrack...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's Indian Springs...

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    i went down to this area yesterday to ride (3/25/08). little rain..but the trails were in great shape.

chris and anyone else...maybe you can help tell me what i rode. based on the description that follows here:

i parked in the gravel lot on the left hand side, about 1/4 mile or less after the 'T' -when you hit the gravel road...started riding on the single track across the street (right hand side of rode as you head in).

trail forks...i went left and climbed up a drainage. intersected a jeep road and stayed to the right - climbing a little big more....very gradual.

saw some irrigation valves, piping, etc. some troughs in the distance...100 yards across. singletrack takes off straight....but, i went to the right....rolling along lava rock for a ways..all singletrack...and then dropped back down after wrapping around a little plateau feature.....dropped down...passed where i took the fork originally....and got back to the car.

45 minute ride or so...stopped to water the dogs...and chill/relax...but, 45 minutes is about the length of my ride/loop. 5ish miles, maybe 6...i don't know.

so what did i ride?

very cool little ride. singletrack is sooooooo nice. too bad boise doesn't have singletrack like this...all over. but, obviously, boise foothills trails gets a lot more use.

cool that the atvs, etc. have stayed off the singletrack...

Very nice area......locals have made a very cool trail system. Think I first rode there five years ago with Piltdown and some other friends.
    Last edited by Markv; 03-27-2008 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Markv
    Very nice area......locals have made a very nice trail system. Think I first rode there five years ago with Piltdown and some other friends.
    They are some sweet trails! I think 10 years-ago most of the trail work was done by Doug and Jim. Jim had to be in his mid to late 50's, tough as nails and riding a Fisher hardtail on basalt trails. Reminds me of another Jim we ride with! Hope they are still riding and building. Mark we need to make a pilgrimage to Twin and ride a couple days this summer.

Garnet, I think the side you were riding leads up to an old hang glider launch. For something different next time try the left side and go around the gravel pit and follow and old dirt road along Dry Gulch. When the trail branches left following the creek, climb up the switch backs on the right to the main road and cross over to the trails you were riding.

That area is always intertaining. There use to be a guy that owned the Rock Creek Saloon up the road that had a badger that played the piano. He would ask you if you wanted to have the badger lick your neck. Yeh right! Last time I was riding in that area, I got to watch two old bulls in a stand-off kicking dirt in the air, blow snot and try and buffalo each other. It would have been a hoot to watch if they weren't on the trail we wanted to ride.

mtbr member
    cool. thanks for the clarification(s). i would like to get down there and adventure some more. looks like there is a lot of riding down there.

mtbr member
    Is there a shop that can provide trail beta in town? I'm at CSI during the week and would love to escape the strip malls!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    spoke and wheel on addison has maps of indian springs. I've heard its a little hard to read though. If you want to go out I can show you around. There are some really good trails and I was out friday night and the trails are pretty dry.

mtbr member

Indian Springs Update

we liked this trail, it had a little bit of everything ~ and it was a beautiful day in the middle of nowhere. a little nippy, but otherwise lovely and the trail was in great shape.

some pics of our little spring break jaunt, with jackstraw1 and eli. eli rode his bike for the first time since upgrading to a larger (and lighter) frame.

1) outside our at miracle hot springs
    2) ride begins with mellow switchbacks thru the sagebrush (fun to weave thru on descent!)
    3) the singletrack reaches the first plateau and fun little lava rock ledges appear
    4) the sky was beautiful and eli was loving his lighter ride
    5) now a fun little drop chute with exposure and a tight switchback to the right immediately after, then a cool overhang. eli stops to contemplate, with encouragement from rich...
    6) but decides to let mom do it first while he watches...caution got the better of him
    7) jackstraw's turn to rail it
    8) and zoom around the switchback w/overhang
    9) the high desert sure is purdy
    10) view from dh side of overhang corner

the camera was put away for the rest of the 'slickrock' area, which was really very cool. the trail was marked with white dots (like moab) and what it lacked in flow it made up for in fun little lava tech sections. the descent was really fun, smiles for miles...

11) eli and i havin' fun
    12) the look on his face is priceless...
    13) sunset on the drive back to hagerman, quittin' time in farm country
    14) time for a good hot soak back at miracle
    15) can't forget about this guy...he and his 2 girlfriends were our neighbors for the weekend

all in all a great ride if you happen to find yourself in twin falls (or similarly local armpit), well worth the jaunt south from there, but i wouldn't drive all the way from boise to ride it. FYI we stayed on the west side (that would be the trailhead starting across the gravel road from the lot, bearing left at Y to start switchbacks)

all apologies for the way i had to post the descriptions before the pics, my computer skills are pretty limited i hope this works. if not rich will have to post 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

mtbr member

last few pics

all in all a fabulous time!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Looks like fun!

we liked this trail, it had a little bit of everything ~ and it was a beautiful day in the middle of nowhere. a little nippy, but otherwise lovely and the trail was in great shape...........

.....all in all a great ride if you happen to find yourself in twin falls (or similarly local armpit)...

So those pics were from Indian Springs, right? Did you find anything to ride near Miracle, by any chance? I end up in Buhl fairly often to visit my in-laws and would love to be able to find something nearby to ride.

HH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double H
    So those pics were from Indian Springs, right? Did you find anything to ride near Miracle, by any chance? I end up in Buhl fairly often to visit my in-laws and would love to be able to find something nearby to ride.

HH
    Yes, they are from the trails out at the Indian Springs trail head. I am not sure what trail we actually rode, there was quite a few trails going all over the place. (well and the fact that I am directionally challenged) A word of caution keep an eye out for rednecks shooting skeet. We came around one corner and there was a herd of them peppering the bushes right next us with shot . They were nice enough and stopped once MTNgirl popped up in her orange shirt, yelling to knock it off. It was nuts to hear it hitting within several feet of us.

We did try to find something that was closer to Miracle for us to ride but did not find anything! I looked through the trail books I had for Idaho and then browsed the internet. Truth be told I didn't look extremely hard. I would think it is completely worth the drive from Buhl, the trails were good fun. I am not sure I would drive out there just to ride but if I was in the area I would totally hit it again.
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

BMX:Our Shining Future

Very nice

Nice shots.

mtbr member
    DoubleH the riding pics are from indian springs, which is about 8 miles due south from the thriving metropolis of kimberly.

as far as i know, there really isn't any great riding around buhl. when i called one of the shops in twin a few weeks ago to find out trail conditions; indian springs and riding around twin seemed to be the only option.

the nice guy i talked to said they all road ride around hagerman/buhl if that is your thing...but that the soil is much sandier and less fit for mtb was the impression i got.

let me know if you find anything close to buhl, as miracle hot springs is one of my favorite places for a quick getaway and the birding is great out there.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Hawkish on Choads

box canyon

Has anybody thought about riding the trail that goes into box canyon? The last time I was down there was before I started riding but it seems like it would be a very steep technical rocky trail going down into the canyon and also good once you get to the bottom. It might be a little too steep and scary for most though and you would probably have to pack your bike back out. There is a big pit where one of the local fish hatcheries dumps all of their morts(dead fish) right where the trail goes into the canyon and sometimes there are a lot of bald eagles congregated there. It stinks very much bad but it is still cool if you are into birds.

Members who have read this thread: 0