Trip Report: Trails in the Salmon River Mountains That Don't Suck- Mtbr.com
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Trip Report: Trails in the Salmon River Mountains That Don't Suck

AccessPig has asked that I remove my trip report and that I quit being such an arrogant and pompous git.

hahhahahahahh

SUKKIT American Legend
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 08-04-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    What? To be continued?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Thanks.
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 08-04-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Don't worry, be happy!
    hmmm looks and sounds like my hubby's version of his attempt to ride the Secesh trail out to Lick Creek rd.

mtbr member
    More more. pluuueease.

mtbr member
    if you haven't done a ride like this, you probably shouldn't call yourself a mountain biker.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

beater
    Waiting for the next installment...

I stayed at the Liz Butte cabin with friends last weekend, and when they decided to hike down to Weitas Creek, I figured I'll ride down there with them. Last time I do a ride without looking at a map.

mtbr member
    Map + Trail + Ride = Ground Truth

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Thanks
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 08-04-2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Inappropriate Image

mtbr member
    ooohh nooo! I feel a skewering coming on. Please note the key piece of my advice- "I haven't done Split Creek"

Don't worry, be happy!
    Everyone who's ever made a mistake on a map please raise their hand now...

mtbr member
    sad, sad day. today is the day we find out that TC is "faint of heart." the trail description specifically describes an 8-9 hour expert ride "not for the faint of heart". and on your bookshelf you have a book about spatial relations.....had you gone 10 more yards the trail is INSANE! in honor of TC, my mtb license plate will read: HTFU

edit: i forgot, i totally agree with you:
    Facebook is for people who have friends. Facebook is where teenagers collect friends. Friends are lame.
    Facebook is for posting pictures of what you had for lunch. Lunch is lame.
    MTBR is for people who mountain bike. Or collect molds, spores and fungus.
    DEET is my deodorant.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Thanks
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 08-04-2010 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Split Creek

Hey Twisted, sorry you had such a sucky time on that trail. That map does have a disclaimer should you have bothered to take the time to read it - contact local forest entities and see what trail conditions are before you go? They would have told you that they have four guys to cover over a thousand miles of trail and may or may not get to all of them every year. OR, that ride is perhaps just beyond your capabilities - I hear that Hard Guy trail in Boise is really rad....and since there are no trees to climb over or even ride by you probably won't get lost either...OR, better yet, how about getting out and doing some trail work on those trails you're complaining about? Or do you prefer to just sit at your desk and write about how overgrown everything is? YOU suck.

Don't worry, be happy!
    nm...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Hey, this adventure is turning around- Chinese Minors build the best singletrack BTW.

jalepenio jimenez

where can I donate?:)

this thread is a cool salvage of some fine effort to explore new places.
    sharing your trials and tribs with us, and the eventual conclusion of the ride,
    should make up for any bailout blues you guys may have been having.

good stuff.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Thanks.
    Brigitte Bardot would look like when she grew old. You remember Brigitte Bardot: frenchy actress, skanky foreign sex-kitten, teased blonde hair and signature black eyeliner.

Now she's got this on. Kinda like the cougar from hell, wouldn't you say?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

you have WAY too much time on your hands

Twisted Crank isn't your real name, is it? I'm a dude, dude, but my dad had a thing for Brigette Bardot.. Hasn't your unemployment check run out yet? Get a job and stop sharing your negative unhappiness with the rest of the biking world. Based on your manic posts I'd speculate that it may be time to get your meds checked. Have a sunny day!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by candyjones
    Twisted Crank isn't your real name, is it? I'm a dude, dude, but my dad had a thing for Brigette Bardot.. Hasn't your unemployment check run out yet? Get a job and stop sharing your negative unhappiness with the rest of the biking world. Based on your manic posts I'd speculate that it may be time to get your meds checked. Have a sunny day!
    Can't you tell all he is doing is sharing an epic adventure he had with fellow MTBR peeps? I didn't hear him complaining about anything, just stating how the riding was in a humorous fashion.

Lighten up and enjoy the ride mister.... WAIT a second, I just got the big lebowski reference. So you couldn't possibly be upset about Twisted Cranks posts..

The dude abides.

mtbr member
    Wait a minute I just re-read the Split Creek description- "if you do not like portaging your bike, this ride is not for you" Clearly you do not like portaging your bike.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Thanks
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 08-04-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I have been following along with my brand new map... out and back on Split Creek, ,then Cow Creek to Fitsum Creek tp East Fork Lake Fork? Heh. And you still had to go back and get your car, right?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    Heh. And you still had to go back and get your car, right?
    We cheated and drove to E Fork of Lake Fork after Fitsum (see above). We needed burgers.

Don't worry, be happy!
    lol I was kind of wondering about that. I just got my map in the mail, so it's like read long material to go with the post, especially since the sign is at the beginning of the trail, and not where you would have hooked in.

mtbr member

Let's chat

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    AccessPig: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Go demystify the trail for us all, then we'll chat.
    Trust me, I don't hate you because you're beautiful. I dislike you for your unbearable arrogance and absolute lack of humor.

I read your post (what happened to the picture of you flipping off the map and the trail description? That is not humor.) and immediately thought perhaps we GPS'd the wrong trail, mixed a description, or made a general error.

So this morning I drove out to Split Creek in order to demystify the trail. And I demystified it...the description is 100% correct. The double black diamond rating is 100% correct. The dense foliage is consistent with a backcountry trail, especially a trail that crosses a creek named "Jungle Creek" flowing from "Jungle Lake." I realize this type of backcountry riding is slightly different from your Camelbak park adventures. In fact, I recall one of your posts about wilderness closure and that you believed the foothills offered all the riding you need. Perhaps you should continue riding there.

But the telltale sign in your botched attempt to discredit CIMBA and Adventure Maps, is your purported enjoyment of Cow Creek (a description that I personally wrote). Cow Creek is a moderate trail, whereas Split Creek is expert. Obviously, you lack the expert skills needed for a backcountry ride of this caliber. We offer many skills clinics, you are invited to join our next one -- free of charge. We don't offer clinics in mathematics, but read the description of Cow Creek one more time. The distance is measured for a shuttle, ie, ONE WAY. You rode it out and back, obviously increasing the distance. If the addition eludes you, concentrate, it will come to you. I think.

Trip Reports are awesome and so much fun to read. But when riders are riding trails beyond their ability and then attempt to displace blame, the Trip Report reads more like a pathetic excuse for why the rider sucks.

And the "to be continued" bit....an amateur way to keep this troll/trash thread at the top. MARK IT ZERO DUDE.
    DEET is my deodorant.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    POSTSCRIPT:

AccessPig, read yer PMs ferchistsakes.

Go ride.
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 08-04-2010 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by accesspig
    Trust me, I don't hate you because you're beautiful. I dislike you for your unbearable arrogance and absolute lack of humor.

I read your post (what happened to the picture of you flipping off the map and the trail description? That is not humor.) and immediately thought perhaps we GPS'd the wrong trail, mixed a description, or made a general error.

So this morning I drove out to Split Creek in order to demystify the trail. And I demystified it...the description is 100% correct. The double black diamond rating is 100% correct. The dense foliage is consistent with a backcountry trail, especially a trail that crosses a creek named "Jungle Creek" flowing from "Jungle Lake." I realize this type of backcountry riding is slightly different from your Camelbak park adventures. In fact, I recall one of your posts about wilderness closure and that you believed the foothills offered all the riding you need. Perhaps you should continue riding there.

But the telltale sign in your botched attempt to discredit CIMBA and Adventure Maps, is your purported enjoyment of Cow Creek (a description that I personally wrote). Cow Creek is a moderate trail, whereas Split Creek is expert. Obviously, you lack the expert skills needed for a backcountry ride of this caliber. We offer many skills clinics, you are invited to join our next one -- free of charge. We don't offer clinics in mathematics, but read the description of Cow Creek one more time. The distance is measured for a shuttle, ie, ONE WAY. You rode it out and back, obviously increasing the distance. If the addition eludes you, concentrate, it will come to you. I think.

Trip Reports are awesome and so much fun to read. But when riders are riding trails beyond their ability and then attempt to displace blame, the Trip Report reads more like a pathetic excuse for why the rider sucks.

And the "to be continued" bit....an amateur way to keep this troll/trash thread at the top. MARK IT ZERO DUDE.
    i am glad to see i am not the only one who thinks this way about this guy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I thoroughly enjoyed the original trip report and wish it had not been modified/removed. I thought the pictures gave a great, realistic reinforcement of the description. I would have seen "expert" and thought it would be referring to more fitness and distance. Seeing the ride description informed me that it was more than that, also sheer determination and level of adventure.

It is understandable that somebody who wrote the description could take some offense but they also need to relax. I did not find it arrogant, I did not find it anything but entertaining and a great story about the evolution of the trip. The fact that egos came into play only served to take a super fun thread and effectively kill it, leaving a ground salted and poisoned where once fun thrived.

mtbr member

amateurs dude.

Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    I thoroughly enjoyed the original trip report and wish it had not been modified/removed. I thought the pictures gave a great, realistic reinforcement of the description. I would have seen "expert" and thought it would be referring to more fitness and distance. Seeing the ride description informed me that it was more than that, also sheer determination and level of adventure.

It is understandable that somebody who wrote the description could take some offense but they also need to relax. I did not find it arrogant, I did not find it anything but entertaining and a great story about the evolution of the trip. The fact that egos came into play only served to take a super fun thread and effectively kill it, leaving a ground salted and poisoned where once fun thrived.
    no way dude. trip reports are awesome, the heart of the forums. pictures are mandatory and add to the fun. but excessive pics of a map? maybe one picture of the map adds to the story but excessive pics and flipping off the map, that really isn't a trail report.

it takes far more than twistedcrank and accesspig bickering to poison ground. fun always thrives on the trail. and work can always be done on a trail. it is 1 hour+ from McCall and about five miles in where the brushing needs to start. i will PM you and TC when a crew works on it and we will all laugh, bond, ride, work, and love mtb.

TC's ego is in tact, as is mine. the irony here is that i felt BAD , not defensive, that someone had a bad experience. i drove up that morning and cleared trail alone for six hours. i thought the foliage riding was trippy especially since the trail beneath was in perfect condition. but in lieu of his comments i cleared sections. also enjoyed fresh huckleberries, counted the rings on a 109 year old tree, spooked some wild life, and got sweet stream pics. and when i returned home i answered TC's question about demystifying the trail. after a 9.5 hour effort you might want to reconsider your ego comment. i actually want people to enjoy Idaho's trails and i support every aspect of mountain biking. think it through---a) negative trail comment on a forum, b) a person changes their plans in order to better the trail, c) while working on trail the person learns it isn't as bad as forum report, d) reports back. that is pretty selfless. if i complain about a trail or race in your area, will you spend 9.5 hours the same day to better the trail?

the bottom line is i care about our (Idaho) trails, even if the criticism comes from twistedcrank. i know people who ride that trail religiously. a few people record their ride times to compete with other locals. so i know the trail is rideable and people love it.

BUT when a ride report focuses on the 'suckage' of the map more than insight/critique of the trail, yeah, i'll blast away and potentially kill a thread.
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Reading it through the first time, I never once thought the map was to blame. We should all know that things grow and trails evolve. No map or description will be forever accurate. I saw the middle finger as part of the story that helped convey feelings. Whether or not feelings are justified are irrevelant, they were part of the story and made it more fun. I was enjoying the story and still wish it was kept as original so that others could enjoy the story as well. I just don't see it as worth killing because of the reasons you stated. I appreciate the trail work you do and will continue to do, but long ago realized not to take things personally. We all ride and some of us do so for different reasons, can't please everybody all the time and some people just don't 'get it' the way you or I do.

If you had come in at the end and stated that you had spent 9.5 hours clearing trail and encouraged Twisted to give it a second chance. To have another "to be continued" update of that second effort, imagine how much better that would have come across. I believe it would have been more postive at least and would have gotten more people to the area along with thanks for all the hard work you do. Instead, you slammed his sense of humor and lack of adventuring skills. That was were the thread went south and where my ego comments came from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    Reading it through the first time, I never once thought the map was to blame. We should all know that things grow and trails evolve. No map or description will be forever accurate. I saw the middle finger as part of the story that helped convey feelings. Whether or not feelings are justified are irrevelant, they were part of the story and made it more fun. I was enjoying the story and still wish it was kept as original so that others could enjoy the story as well. I just don't see it as worth killing because of the reasons you stated. I appreciate the trail work you do and will continue to do, but long ago realized not to take things personally. We all ride and some of us do so for different reasons, can't please everybody all the time and some people just don't 'get it' the way you or I do.

If you had come in at the end and stated that you had spent 9.5 hours clearing trail and encouraged Twisted to give it a second chance. To have another "to be continued" update of that second effort, imagine how much better that would have come across. I believe it would have been more postive at least and would have gotten more people to the area along with thanks for all the hard work you do. Instead, you slammed his sense of humor and lack of adventuring skills. That was were the thread went south and where my ego comments came from.
    yikes! i've become "that guy" who degenerates a thread and falls down the abyss of pointless arguing. that's lame on my part and wasn't the intention/point. i feel that if someone makes extreme statements, expect extreme statements in return. that's all.

however, there is huge positive potential for this thread. more people have heard about Split Creek and the trail can get some more lovin'. and maybe the trail name is apropos, with opinions totally split. but (in a lighthearted manner) i will now refer to this trail as "Salty Guy" in reference to your salt comment and the salty opinions of TC/AP.

WAIT...WAIT...WAIT....it just dawned on me. i can't believe i missed this point. Split Creek is one of MANY trails that will be closed with the Needles Wilderness proposal. i'm not kidding around. the entire area from the Needles (in between Cascade and Donnelly) north past Loon Lake will become Wilderness Area, ie, no bikes. i believe in trail Access (ie, avatar name) and this will crush current/future riding areas. love or hate me, you will see more updates on this topic.
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by accesspig

WAIT...WAIT...WAIT....it just dawned on me. i can't believe i missed this point. Split Creek is one of MANY trails that will be closed with the Needles Wilderness proposal. i'm not kidding around. the entire area from the Needles (in between Cascade and Donnelly) north past Loon Lake will become Wilderness Area, ie, no bikes. i believe in trail Access (ie, avatar name) and this will crush current/future riding areas. love or hate me, you will see more updates on this topic.
    Glad you mentioned this topic- I had the exact same thoughts in my head as I was attempting to ride to Hum Lake this past weekend. I ran into a group I believe to be associated with the Idaho Conservation League... They were doing some trail maintenance, however, using pulaskis to remove deadfall rather than chainsaws (or even a crosscut saw). Guess they're already living the dream that this trail will be closed to mechanization once the area enters "wilderness study" status and they can sue the FS to limit all mechanized usage... Does not bode well for us MTB'rs.

BTW- connecting the Duck Lake TH to Split Creek TH via the Hum Lake trail would be a BIG effort that would require a lot of hiking and not one I was able to complete. Guess there is a reason that trail is not listed as a recommended MTB ride. I would recommend Hum Lake, though. Very scenic!

Members who have read this thread: 0