Trip to Butte- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trip to Butte

mtbr member

Trip to Butte

Hello all,
    Planning a trip to Butte, Montana at the end of June and would like to know the best area to ride that would be the most scenic and fun for advanced riders. Will probably only get to ride one day and will need to rent bikes. Looks like Mt Helena to me but wanted local opinion. Thanks and happy trails all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rth009
    May 2010
    Mt. Helena is in Helena, which is not Butte, but also has great riding.

You'll find lots of great riding in Butte in June. As far as fun for advanced riders, there is nothing really too technical or with built features, but there are so many miles of mountainous singletrack that you can still get an "advanced ride" in by doing lots of distance and vertical on the Continental divide Trail and connecting trails. The CDT is easily access at Homestake Pass and Pipestone Pass, E and SE of Butte on I-90 and Hwy 2, and from Lowland Campground and the Nez Perce trailhead north of Butte via I-15. Id recommend driving up to Homestake Pass and riding north on the continental divide trail toward our lady of the Rockies/Nez Perce trailhead or driving to the Nez Perce trailhead, riding up to the top of the divide and as far as you can make it before you feel like you need to turn around.

You can also ride up to the divide from the Maude S Canyon trail, which has some pretty challenging climbing sections.

Riding south from Homestake Pass toward Pipestone Pass is also a great, fast ride, but not as rocky technical. Again you can start at Homestake Pass and ride south for as long as you can before you need to turn around. If you have a shuttle vehicle, you could create an excellent route on the CDT. Other great trails include toll canyon and beaver ponds near Pipestone Pass, they can all be connected with the CDT to make a great ride.

In short, there are many miles of mountainous singletrack in the Butte area, some of which is newly created trail.
    Last edited by rth009; 01-18-2017 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    RTH009 is right, if you're talking Butte (not Helena) CDT N to Virgin Overlook via Homestake Pass (out and back), or CDT S to Beaver Pond downhill, climb back on road to CDT lollypop loop (longer ride)

If you were to delay your trip by 2 weeks, the Curly Lake Highline ride is probably the "gem" of that area (South of Cardwell) 25 miles/5000 ft, with 12ish mile downhill is the goods but the above treeline section is closed to Mtn Goat kidding until July 16th.

I finally rode Muskrat Creek (NE of Boulder) last fall, which has a bit more "chunk" than CDT routes mentioned but is a fun ride too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    homestake is simple, fun and easy to find. can't get lost and has some great riding.