Transition Dirtbag

Printable View

• 10-10-2006
    mtnbkrdr98
    Transition Dirtbag
    Hi,
    kind of posting this for Mr. Bill Reed. I am going to take a road bike instead and use it to get fit over the winter, and maybe if I can get a DB in spring.

He said he would give a pretty good deal to someone if they are interested in it, so it is a Medium green DB with a pretty nice build (Saint cranks, etc).

I probably can't take the road bike until the DB is sold, so just trying to help their shop in that respect and help myself get my road bike faster :)

Daryl
  • 10-10-2006
    Bombin4X
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :madman:
  • 10-10-2006
    ryman
    thought that was your bike Bill called me about. I hopped on Ian's bike up at Bogus and it sure is a nice ride.......but the medium is too small for me to ride comfortably
  • 10-10-2006
    k2cruiser72
    CP! You know the road is calling you!!!!
  • 10-10-2006
    Bombin4X
    Don't go there Mr. Natural Light! You can't ride that thing on the track.
  • 10-10-2006
    k2cruiser72
    Hey! A just a couple more Nattys, and I woulda been abusing my roadie like it was Nickel night at Hannas!
  • 10-10-2006
    BelaySlave
    Awesome!!! I wish I had more time to road ride!

Let's go road riding sometime this fall/winter Daryl!
  • 10-10-2006
    TwistedCrank
    Road riding isn't about getting in shape, it's about talking alot.
  • 10-10-2006
    westin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Road riding isn't about getting in shape, it's about talking alot.

For many it's about riding four-wide and frowning at others who don't wear the same kit.
  • 10-10-2006
    danK
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Hi,
    kind of posting this for Mr. Bill Reed. I am going to take a road bike instead and use it to get fit over the winter, and maybe if I can get a DB in spring.

He said he would give a pretty good deal to someone if they are interested in it, so it is a Medium green DB with a pretty nice build (Saint cranks, etc).

I probably can't take the road bike until the DB is sold, so just trying to help their shop in that respect and help myself get my road bike faster :)

Daryl

What kind of road bike you looking at?
  • 10-11-2006
    Visicypher
    For me, road riding is about adjusting my stuff as I ride down the road...that and wondering where I will take a [email protected] between Ola/Sweet and Horseshoe Bend.
  • 10-11-2006
    Visicypher
    What is the Dirtbag goin for? A dime and a 40 of OE?

Seriously...how much?
  • 10-11-2006
    impdude
    Saturday
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Visicypher
    What is the Dirtbag goin for? A dime and a 40 of OE?

Seriously...how much?

Al, I could not find your email address, so I sent it via PM.
  • 10-11-2006
    mtnbkrdr98
    I don't know - you will have to speak to Bill about that....
  • 10-11-2006
    mtnbkrdr98
    Diamondback Podium 4, Full Carbon, FSA Cranks, some 105 stuff and some Ultegra Stuff
  • 10-11-2006
    westin
    Quote:

Diamondback Podium 4, Full Carbon, FSA Cranks, some 105 stuff and some Ultegra Stuff

I see that bike has 5 $$$$$$ rating meaning it costs over 1800 before tax??

DB and Raleigh used to be the value brands along with Giant just a few years ago. Now they're right up with most other bikes in terms of sticker shock (let's not get into a supply and demand and offshore labor debate). No, they're not sporting a Trek price tag ala Lance, but they're asking a lot for not a lot of bike.

A few weeks ago this full Dura Ace 10 bike was going for 1800: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3040

I think it's the same frame.
    And Performance has a full Ultegra 10 bike for around $1000 but it's aluminum with the chintzy carbon seatstays.

Having said that, buying from Reeds is always a win-win situation....if you don't mind paying for a Raleigh or DB.
  • 10-11-2006
    mtnbkrdr98
    I have no choice tho. I am not willing to ask Bill for a refund, no way
  • 10-11-2006
    BelaySlave
    Dumb question of the late afternoon ---

Don't you belong to Gold's? Why not just hit up the Spinning classes there :eek: during the week until spring rolls around?

I'm by no means a fan of indoor cycling, but I'm gonna have to suck it up and go to Spinning classes at my gym if it's more convenient than going outside this winter. Blah. Gotta do what ya' gotta do!

Have you considered taking up a winter sport like skate skiing?
  • 10-12-2006
    mtnbkrdr98
    Yeah I do actually and plan to do that too. Gonna try snow shoeing. Thanks mang!
  • 10-12-2006
    westin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BelaySlave

Don't you belong to Gold's? Why not just hit up the Spinning classes there :eek: during the week until spring rolls around?

I'm by no means a fan of indoor cycling, but I'm gonna have to suck it up and go to Spinning classes at my gym if it's more convenient than going outside this winter. Blah. Gotta do what ya' gotta do!

Farmer's Almanac predicts a mild winter in Boise.
  • 10-12-2006
    TwistedCrank
    Quote:

Originally Posted by westin
    Farmer's Almanac predicts a mild winter in Boise.

My Uncle Leon used to beat me with his cane when he caught me reading the Farmer's Almanac. I used to steal the batteries for his hearing aid.
  • 10-16-2006
    Bombin4X
    A nice review here http://nsmb.com/gear/transdirtbag_10_06.php

D - Man it looks like a really fun bike.....
  • 10-16-2006
    CBro
    Quote:

Spinning in a club (from my experience, and remember, I'm old and slow...) is no substitute for real riding over the winter, (even, or especially road riding). Spinning's better than nothing, but not by much...

CDB
  • 10-16-2006
    Visicypher
    Amen!!! I agree whole-heartedly.
  • 10-16-2006
    mtnbkrdr98
    well, real road riding IS a better workout, but when you can't, I think spinning is a pretty darn good workout. You heart and lungs agree, I'm sure
  • 10-16-2006
    flipnidaho
    Quote:

well, real road riding IS a better workout, but when you can't, I think spinning is a pretty darn good workout. You heart and lungs agree, I'm sure

Over 12 winters ago, when I was a little racer boy, I bought a mag-trainer and started doing cyclerobx with a coach (Troy Jacobson). I was doing two sessions per evening. That lasted for a month or so then it got so incredibly boring. I sold the mag trainer and got lights instead... I've been night riding in winter ever since... I can't say night riding is a better workout than spinning since the highest I've ever had my heart rate was during a cyclerobx session and not during a race but night riding sure is way more fun... Heck, I'd rather run than spin on a mag-trainer..
  • 10-16-2006
    Crash_Burn
    Roller Fun
    Quote:

Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Heck, I'd rather run than spin on a mag-trainer..

You ever try rollers?
  • 10-16-2006
    Visicypher
    yup. but all the tabacky keeps fallin out the ends...

back to the monkey....
  • 10-16-2006
    TwistedCrank
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Visicypher
    back to the monkey....

Don't feck with monkey. Monkey sleepy. Monkey played hard. Tired monkey.

As for the rollers...
  • 10-16-2006
    flipnidaho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    You ever try rollers?

No, I haven't tried rollers...
  • 10-16-2006
    Crash_Burn
    No smoke still freaky
    Quote:

No, I haven't tried rollers...

They keep you awake in a good way - not like the nice lady in the picture :D
  • 10-17-2006
    BelaySlave
    Daryl ---

So are you gonna keep the Transition for the time being or is that still on the market since you are now selling your 5-Spot?

-----

Sorry for more threadjacking, but back to the whole indoor v outdoor thing....

I wholeheartedly agree that riding outside is way more fun than inside. But there are definately times when it's just nearly impossible to get a ride in at 7pm on a Wednesday evening in early January. If I can't do a ride and if it's not raining, I'd opt for a run instead of going to a class at the gym. But if worse comes to worse, I'll take a class over not doing anything at all. To me, winter (excluding playing in the snow and that is still yet to be determined right now) is a good time to maintain your fitness especially November through February when the weather may not be OK. Oh I'll get in my rides, but I'm not going to lose sleep if I have to choose a Spinning class over a ride on Rocky Canyon.
  • 10-20-2006
    DelTaco
    Two Words:
    Pump Track
  • 10-21-2006
    mtnbkrdr98
    Quote:

Daryl ---

But if worse comes to worse, I'll take a class over not doing anything at all. To me, winter (excluding playing in the snow and that is still yet to be determined right now) is a good time to maintain your fitness especially November through February when the weather may not be OK. Oh I'll get in my rides, but I'm not going to lose sleep if I have to choose a Spinning class over a ride on Rocky Canyon.

Amen. and don't forgot that those over say 30 REALLY benefit from the increased msucle and bone mass from weight bearing exercise. I know it helps my riding (even If I can NEVER keep up with the Earthpig) :)
  • 10-21-2006
    CBro
    Quote:

Over 12 winters ago, when I was a little racer boy, I bought a mag-trainer and started doing cyclerobx with a coach (Troy Jacobson). I was doing two sessions per evening. That lasted for a month or so then it got so incredibly boring. I sold the mag trainer and got lights instead... I've been night riding in winter ever since... I can't say night riding is a better workout than spinning since the highest I've ever had my heart rate was during a cyclerobx session and not during a race but night riding sure is way more fun... Heck, I'd rather run than spin on a mag-trainer..

The only way I can stand the mag trainer, is when its raining hard, I'm camped on my own mountainbike in front of the tv, w/surround sound and Kranked or NWD dvds. It somehow keeps me motivated, and I push myself so hard I can hardly breathe or stay up. But to keep peace in the familyl, I have to have a sweatcatcher on the floor. The cat works great...:p

CDB