The trails, they are a-dryin'- Mtbr.com
    Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008

The trails, they are a-dryin'

Finally!

The lower bench/rim trails here in Pocatello are mostly dry, so I hit the singletrack today for the first time in many months.

Unfortunately, others weren't quite so patient. Some of the trails were dug out pretty deeply in places, and some jackhat on his horse left postholes up and down Burrito.

So it goes ...

How are the trails elsewhere? Is Poky ahead of the curve or lagging behind?

In the past, I've usually been able to take to the singletrack a little sooner--say mid-March. On the flipside, I got in quite a bit of cross-country skiing this winter.

Happy trails,

HP

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    XC skiing is still a bit soggy here in Teton Valley. My yard is covered in a foot of snow. Leaving the valley to go biking sounds good, but is such a tease!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Kats trail is dry too. I think we are about 3 weeks later than normal, but the alpine skiing has been good.
    If you do something often enough it tends to define you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have been on the cross bike, but most stuff here is very wet. No biggie if you want to get soaked and be muddy. you get to be a kid again. oh the trails don't dry out here until july so just go ride them if you want.

Jan 2008
    tim208: I haven't ridden any of the trails in your area, but I've heard nice things about them. The closest I've come are some rides around Jackson Hole and that rail trail that runs from Ashton to West Yellowstone. No desire to get muddy, however, so I guess I'll just wait until summer.

butyron: I've lived in Poky seven years and been bike riding for five of those, but I've never hit "The Steeps." Just one of those things that I've not gotten around to, partly because I've heard they aren't that great, and also because I live about two minutes from the City Creek trailhead.

Speaking of which, I went riding again today and ... damn, what a gorgeous day! The weather was so sweet, I rode up and around and came down 9-1-1 three times. I even checked out the "gut," but it was still pretty soft. There were even ice and snow in a few spots.

Another week of decent weather and it'll be rideable at least to Serengheti (Upper Prison Loop).

Happy trails,

HP

pain is good

trail

Did a ride out in the Owyhee's this morning, Hit trail 200 up to 210 then turned around, started to sprinkle, and saw death clouds coming are way, man was it nice, needs a little work from the horses and cattle. but overall not bad shape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hdparrish,
    Try out the single track that goes up fremont, its like death valley but green. it will take you to the trails by rocky pt. all of it is dry right now and then you can take white cairn into city creek area for a bit more time. rode all of the lower city creek stuff and it is pretty good with the exception of a few soft spots. Have fun and see you out there.
    Ryon

Jan 2008

Trail update

The dreary weather lingers, yet the trails are finding a way to dry. Did a lot of riding yesterday:

The gut (City Creek proper) is dry all the way to bridge 16 (where Sullivan's drops in). There's some snow and mud after that, and I assume the same applies to Mushroom and Sullivan's. Sap Tree is a long ways away.

Cross-cut is now completely dry, as are Burrito and Bump. Serengeti (Upper Prison Loop) is also nice. Lichen, Death Valley, Lifeflight, 911, Lower Prison Loop, Bench, Rim and Lichen are all open for business.

Forecast calls for rain and possibly even storms this afternoon and tonight, and tomorrow is expected to be cold and very windy, so I'll be heading out before lunch to take advantage of the conditions.

This is the worst spring I can remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by butryon
    Hdparrish,
    Try out the single track that goes up fremont, its like death valley but green.
    Are you talking about the one that comes out on Pierce? I used to ride that track all the time, but haven't in a few years. That's a pretty steep up right out of the gate. Smooth riding after that, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    you guys should post some picture of the pocatello and eastern idaho trails on here. I haven't even really seen any pics from that area.

thanks!
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Trails

The trails are muddy and not worth taking pictures. I would go ride Boise if I wanted to ride a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I hope you are kidding. I rode all the fremont, rocky pt. stuff and then into city creek and up it untill the first get in to Sullys and all the way down life flight...killer dirt and this afternoon should be off the charts, unless it rains. The snow we had did a good job of leaving some cool looking junipers with "popcorn snow" at the tips of the trees.
    Parrish....dont be scared of the Kats trail, its hard but funner than hell.

Jan 2008
    I'm sure he's kidding, Ryon.

I'm not scared of Kats (or cats!), I just haven't heard good things about it, and since I live right by the West Bench, I never thought it worth checking out. Sounds like I should, though.

As for your ride, you mentioned Lifeflight--did you mean 911? Lifeflight is the relatively easy up adjacent to 911, and 911 is the swoopin' and swervin' gullywasher that is my favorite down until it gets dusted and dug out.

You going for a ride this afternoon? I plan to do the same. We should meet up ... provided you don't mind pedaling slow for my sorry ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ya ...911, the ditch, lifeflight, talladegga..whatever people are calling it this season, of course they have signs(sorta) now so its name is set in stone.
    The Kats trail is fun, I was just giving you a hard time. Its one of those intervalish rides that you takes you from a full blown rippin DH into a barely make it granny gear climb out of little valleys.....fun! but the loop is only 7 miles or so.
    I dont know what time i will get to sneek out of work or else I would meet ya. What is your bike? I'll look for you. I am on a green n black Specialized sworks 29. I hope to see you out there. I am probably gonna ride the fremont area first and then head into city creek.

Jan 2008
    I'm on a black Raleigh hardtail. I'll be stepping out here in the next few minutes.

I think today I will try to stretch my ride out a bit--I'll go up Death Valley to Lichen to Serengeti to Sullivan's, then down Upper City Creek to Cone and then up North Fork to The Grove and Outlaw before dropping into Black Cairn. From there, I'll catch Switchback and White Cairn back to City Creek and will hop on Cross-cut to 911.

Hope we cross paths--if not today, then another. It'd be nice to ride with a highly technical rider so I can glean some o' dose skillz.

Jan 2008
    Not the best weather today but still got a chance to work in a great ride. Some updates to current City Creek trail conditions:

Ryon ain't lyin'--Sullivan's is in decent shape. Couple of wet spots here and there but nothing too messy.

The snow has melted from the upper-most part of the "gut," but it left behind a muddy stretch. A couple of more days of decent, dry weather (fat chance!) and it should be peachy.

North Fork and The Grove aren't ready. I rode about 70 percent of the way up The Grove this afternoon but had to adjourn to the jeeptrack because of snow. There are also two fallen trees blocking the path (one you can walk the bike under, the other you have to go around). Even North Fork had a lot of snow at the top, so I packed my bike the last 100 yards to the switchback, which was high and dry.

Outlaw, Black Cairn, Switchback and White Cairn are open for business ... until the next rainstorm, that is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have ridden all of the above mentioned trails and I have to tell you....
    The dirt is probably the stickiest, tacky goodness i have ridden on. Ritalin to 911 is a great ride right now (until people start using their brakes) and sully's is perfect. The front nine on over the top is drifted in, but people have been trying anyways, (oh well open it up sooner for us). Rain is going to improve our trails lower right now. Thanks to those who cleaned up 911, or Talledega as some call it.

Jan 2008
    Where thre trails aren't wet or covered in snow, they are very close to "hero dirt." Maybe another week. Routes that dried out a couple of weeks ago--like 911--are already there.

We should have a mtbr City Creek group ride some day soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0