Trail Upkeep- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trail Upkeep

Hoops - Big and Small

Trail Upkeep

O.K. folks I got approval to post these photos as an example of how we as individuals can help out the trails with this wet season upon us.

The first pics is the turn that goes from dry freeway/crestline section into the shade (i.e. wet section). I cut a very small channel to let the water drain out so this corner will dry up quicker (second pic).

If you see that a small channel will clean up a puddle go ahead and clean/cut a channel, just try and keep it small, don't go crazy.

Happy Trails
    Attached Images Attached Images

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Why are people riding in those conditions?!?! Those tire marks should not be there!
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Nice post CB!!!!

Is that a runner on the outside of the trail...

Has anyone noticed people running/hiking just off the trail??? I am curious. So of the trails seem to be getting wider because of it.

I got chastized by a someone as I was turning around at the beginning of a mud section for riding my bike on "wet" trails. The hiker, of course, continued hiking....right on the edge of the trail so their boots wouldn't get muddy...

We will all be busy this spring doing maintenance. I encourage everyone to come to the March 7 meeting to find out what work is scheduled.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Nice post CB!!!!

Is that a runner on the outside of the trail...

Has anyone noticed people running/hiking just off the trail??? I am curious. So of the trails seem to be getting wider because of it.

I got chastized by a someone as I was turning around at the beginning of a mud section for riding my bike on "wet" trails. The hiker, of course, continued hiking....right on the edge of the trail so their boots wouldn't get muddy...

We will all be busy this spring doing maintenance. I encourage everyone to come to the March 7 meeting to find out what work is scheduled.
    interesting exchange you had with the ped.

march 7th...that's a wednesday noche. keep us posted. .

they need to close the trails already; all users can't seem to use their noggins and preserve the trails in vulnerable conditions. the green belt offers a great alternative in the winter. just as smooth as the footies...actually, on my ride in this morning...there were quite a few bumps on the greenbelt. they need to fix that

King of the Barneys
    During the process of my spin up and down 8th , I saw lots of hikers and dogs out on the 8th St-Area trails last night, and saw a few bikes around too, naughty, naughty, naughty.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    Why are people riding in those conditions?!?! Those tire marks should not be there!
    Ignorance, stupidity, selfishness, "I don't care", blah blah blah.

And then there is that whole gray area of "If the temps are so-and-so degrees and the trails haven't received moisture in so-and-so days and you go out at so-and-so time on so-and-so trail cuz the soil is made up of so-and-so....". If we can justify it, we'll ride it.

I don't know....is it me or does it seem like there is a sense of an anti-closing (seasonal or temporary) mentality out there? You'd think that the folks that use the Footies on a regular basis would understand the need for closure of some trails out there.

Oh and Bret....if you need any help doing some channel cutting...if I can fit it in my schedule, I'd love to help you with problem areas.

Barneys Unite!

So what's the consensus opinion . . .

on repairing/filling in tire ruts? I had one of my worst wrecks due my front tire getting hung up in a deep rut, so I'm all in favor of filling them in. I've heard other people refer to it as "sanitizing".

TF

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Ignorance, stupidity, selfishness, "I don't care", blah blah blah.

And then there is that whole gray area of "If the temps are so-and-so degrees and the trails haven't received moisture in so-and-so days and you go out at so-and-so time on so-and-so trail cuz the soil is made up of so-and-so....". If we can justify it, we'll ride it.

I don't know....is it me or does it seem like there is a sense of an anti-closing (seasonal or temporary) mentality out there? You'd think that the folks that use the Footies on a regular basis would understand the need for closure of some trails out there.
    Don't forget the "well, I rode wet, muddy trails in (insert the state the user recently moved from here), so why can't I ride wet, muddy trails HERE?" mentality. This attitude usually fixes itself after one ride in wet foothills clay. (Did for me in 1997. )

As for the "gray area," there is some validity to that one. Some trails are rideable at some times and some conditions, while others are not. It takes a lot of winter riding and experimenting in varying weather conditions to be able to accurately figure out when and what is rideable and when and what is not. Also, what is "dry" and what is "wet," as well as what is "rideable" and "non-rideable" is sometimes in the eye of the bikeholder. I think we can all pretty much agree that early mornings before 10 AM when it's been at least 4 - 10 degrees below freezing for a few hours the night before is probably the only really "safe" time to bike in the footies from, say, early to mid December to around mid March or later. The few days a couple of weeks ago when it was rideable mid-day is the rare exception and only as a result of a long stretch of cold and record dry weather that kept the lower levels of soil frozen and the top levels dry.

Oh God, as for "anti-closure," who is going to police that? You gonna stand out there all day and night to give tickets out? If people want to use the trails when they are muddy, they'll use them. Remember, this is Idaho. We recently elected a Gubner who illegally destroyed a wetland and then bragged about it later. Good lord. I think he wants to bury the wolves he kills in the former wetland in his backyard.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    If you mess up the trails the brutalizer will be sent after you. You don't want to mess with the brutalizer - she's one crazy b!tch. Here's a pic of the brutalizer taking care of a gossiper at work.
    If
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hi!!!
    I can't stop watching this!!! It reminds me of hanging out at the Hi-Ho in Garden City.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank

mtbr member
    the proper way to keep water from forming a puddle here...and to run down the hill would be to backfill the uphill side so it's higher than the where you've cut this little channel.

i know i'm mister obvious here, but, there's still a depression on the uphill side, and in the main part of the trail for the most part..so the water will just sit in this depression and infiltrate (in time). if more water drains to this low point and the water level is as high or higher than the downhill side of the trail (where the channel is), it'll spill over and down the hill then.

looks like the water is a few inches deep within the trail from the pic.

also, 1-2' high "water bars" are overkill and the close intervals they are constructed adds to the overkill factor. an IMBA recommended rolling grade dip or a smaller 6" max water bar would do the trick just fine.
    Last edited by garnetspur; 02-15-2007 at 11:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Don't take this the wrong way- I make those same little "nicks" when I'm riding too, but they tend to fill back in really quickly and aren't a real fix. Try to come back when you have more time and a shovel and make a wider dip that will last a while.

Hoops - Big and Small

24 hrs later

I know it's not that dramtic but I went back and got some pics last night to compare. This corner probaly needs a better solution (i.e. more work), but there is a thin section of dry in the pic!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't worry, be happy!
    There are ways to cut in that knick so it's less of a gouge and will last longer. If you make them kind of "Y" shaped, wider at the main drain opening, they will last longer and be less likely to silt up.

Members who have read this thread: 0