Trail recommendations, please?- Mtbr.com
    Fun-O-Meter
    Sep 2005

Trail recommendations, please?

Hi,

I'm meeting relatives in Montana for a 6-day camping/fishing trip. Well, they will be fishing but I am bringing my bike.

We are staying in a fire lookout on Surveyor's Ridge for two nights here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=10&iwloc=addr

We will then be camping for three nights around Kelly Creek here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=12&iwloc=addr

Anyone have some trail recommendations? I enjoy climbing, alpine views, technical trails. I'm an experienced backcountry rider with good navigation skills.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Fun-O-Meter
    Sep 2005
    No-one has any ideas? Maybe some suggestions west of Missoula, perhaps? Or is there a shop I can contact?

Thanks again,

Rich

Don't worry, be happy!
    that map link didn't bring up an image for me (hate google maps...)
    Is this Kelly Creek off the N FK Clearwater? If so, I can certainly suggest some rides!!!

Fun-O-Meter
    Sep 2005
    That is the NF Clearwater. I'd love to hear some suggestions!

Thanks, Formica.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Well, there's a great trail right up Kelly Creek. It goes at least 9 miles up to the meadows. That's as far as we went before we ran out of water. The trail is on the sunny side of the canyon, and there's not much access to water until you get up to the meadow so be sure and carry enough. It is an old pack trail that in places is narrow and worn deep into the dirt so you have to be good at holding your line.

Another cool trail is the Stateline Trail. I would highly recommend you shuttle this one. There's this crazy paved road that goes to the top of Hoodoo Pass ( the road to Superior, Montana) park there, and head right or SE on the trail. This trail follows the crest of the Clearwater mountains. You follow the trail for about 7 mails and then turn off to Little Goose Lake, and then take the trail down to the lake, down the valley ( really fun descent) back to a logging road, hang a right on the logging road and go a few miles until you meet the main road at a campground.You should have parked your other car there! Then head to the top of the pass and pick up car #1, it's only about 15 miles. The Stateline Trail actually connects to the Kelly Creek Trail, but we never did explore that length.

You can also do an out and back to the lake from the forest road and stay off the ridge, it's a very nice easy climb through the forest.

Note, we did not shuttle this one, and ended up doing a 15 (??) mile ride uphill on pavement, made for a very long day.

We figured all this out with the Clearwater forest map. I can only put my hands on my Gazetter, so I can't be more specific with trail names and numbers, or the name of the campground.

Note, the huckleberries should be phenomenal this year! Also, check when hunting season starts.

now to find those photos.
    Last edited by formica; 09-04-2008 at 08:07 AM.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Stateline Trail, from Hoodoo Pass -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't worry, be happy!
    Little Goose Lake and the arrow shows where you start at Hoodoo Pass.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Kelly Creek

Don't worry, be happy!
    Side note, this is pretty remote country. We were very surprised to see bike tracks on the Kelly Creek trail when we got there!!!

the N FK Clearwater is beautiful!!!! but man you are in the middle of no where.

And we saw the biggest bull elk ever up there....

Fun-O-Meter
    Sep 2005
    That's exactly what I needed, Formica! I'll make sure to take some pictures to add to the post.

Thanks,

Rich

Don't worry, be happy!
    well I hope those directions aren't too sketchy. It's actually a test.:

IIRC, the hiking guide 101hikes in the inland NW might have some of those trails in there

Members who have read this thread: 0