Trail Damage- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trail Damage

May 2007

Trail Damage

Someone has been altering trails and making their own routes.

At the start of Eastside someone removed the rockís from the rocky section just as you make the left turn off of the Nordic trail. If you canít ride it walk it or stay in the foothills. Donít ruin it for everyone else.

Stay on the trail and donít make your own lines. What you are doing is wasting peoples time who work endless ours for free using their own tools and gas to try and improve the riding for everyone. What you are doing is pure ignorance. We are going to take time fixing your stupid lines we could be using to build new trails. If you want to ride steeper lines go to Bogus and ride the stuff Ian is building.

It is bad enough we do not get the participation of the Mnt Bike community building trail at least we could get everyone to at least not trash them.

OK I feel better. Enjoy.

mtnjam
    same thing goes for BuckTail...if you can't ride the corners on the trail then don't ride them (it's not that hard is it?)
    Please don't make your own "alternate" lines

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    We need signage...and maybe another article in the paper...stating that those should not be altered.

Also, if anyone knows of sees the riders who have altered Eastside, please inform that what they are doing is just plain wrong.

If someone would like to help, putting those rocks back. Please let Dan or I know.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

When did this happen

We did eastside last weekend. That section was altered, but in the opposite way. That section was built up with more rocks. It made it more fun, but also more difficult I wonder if this inspired others to dismantle all the rocks.

It seems like this happens a lot. I wonder if this is done by a few people who do it in different places, or just random people who feel the need?/??
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

Either type of work is unauthorized.

Why don't these people show up for a trail work day? Geez, this Saturday the volunteers who confirmed that they would attend are all getting sandwiches from the Co-op....a sandwhich of their liking no less!!!

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Either type of work is unauthorized.

Why don't these people show up for a trail work day? Geez, this Saturday the volunteers who confirmed that they would attend are all getting sandwiches from the Co-op....a sandwhich of their liking no less!!!
    Al, I had ridden eastside last friday and all the rocks had been removed in that corner and so at first I tried to put the rocks back in the places where they belonged but was unsuccessfull. So I just created more of a rock garden feature since it was the best I could think of for the situation since it was getting blown out in the corner from people going too fast.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Ranting...

Thanks for the heads up. For future instances of this type, would everyone just give me a heads up when they see/encounter any changes in the trails up there. I'd appreciate it.

As you know...we don't build dirt sidewalks...the Eastside and DB reroutes prove that. People decide to do that for the rest of us...and the latest round of rock removal just detracts from the effort to build more technical trails.

Why should we...when we have someone is dumbing them down after we build them???
    Last edited by Visicypher; 08-31-2007 at 07:48 AM. Reason: ???

Wandervans
    Thanks for the heads up.

As you know...we don't build dirt sidewalks...people decide to do that for the rest of us.
    We need a sign at the top that says something like" Do not modify the existing trail if you can not ride a section in respect of those who built the trail"

Chris
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

We need that sign Twisted and Formica had. I wish they would post it.

Wandervans
    Eastside does need some attention with all the traffic it is getting lately. It is a lot different than the days when dan, dave and I were riding it as virgin trail and clearing brush.

how about sept 9th for a trail morning to give eastside some attention. It needs some drainage in a number of spots also.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

I'd have to run it by R2R and USFS. As it stands, I am on the verge of burnout. Maybe we can take a group done there on 9/29 for the REI Service Project Day?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    We need that sign Twisted and Formica had. I wish they would post it.

How about some official signage, huh? - that would make more point than a hand-scrawled cardboard note that whithers in the sun and rots over the winter. With a little SWIMBA coin from the FatTire Fester for a spiffed and chisled "Don't feck with our trails" blaze the heathens might get the point. Maybe.

Douchebags.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 08-31-2007 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Censorship: It's an artifact of a fascist theocracy.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you want to ride steeper lines go to Bogus and ride the stuff Ian is building.
    .[/QUOTE]

If these people are having trouble riding Eastside sections, I don't think sending them to Bogus is a good idea.

I hate to be an ass here but I am out for the rest of the season and have been reduced to reading these threads again......I swore after my post asking for people to walk around the features at Bogus, I was done here. Which brings me to my point, you all are so upset when people alter/go around Eastside features (I am using this term loosely here), a trail you actually ride, yet at least 75% of you insisted that we had to build ridearounds on every feature at Bogus.

I am done now. I hope you are able to stop these folks because, even though I don't ride Eastside, I too am against folks F'ing with trails.

mtnjam
    just an idea, but would R2R or USFS be against using some sort of concrete/shotcrete to secure some of these rock features in place...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Me and my old-man's back will be up for a sweep of Eastside on Sept 9. Sept 29 will be ok too. Piss-anting rocks is ok but any repetative tool swinging and I'll be doing the 3-a-week chiropractor circuit again.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Wandervans
    I'd have to run it by R2R and USFS. As it stands, I am on the verge of burnout. Maybe we can take a group done there on 9/29 for the REI Service Project Day?
    Well I can lead a crew on the 9th if you are too busy.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Not again!

Has anyone ridden Entrance exam since last Tuesday? I heard rumor while I was out of town the log drop/step up was removed. I sure hope not! That log help take the mind off the suffering on the climb out and was a real challenge to line up and drop with a loaded Bob trailer.

Rather than further discuss this issue I am going back to my happy place. Itís either that or heating the tar to a full boil and looking for the feathers and the evil doer!

How depressing!

This is the sign

The best damn trail sign in the world.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nov 2005
    We need signage...and maybe another article in the paper...stating that those should not be altered.

Also, if anyone knows of sees the riders who have altered Eastside, please inform that what they are doing is just plain wrong.

If someone would like to help, putting those rocks back. Please let Dan or I know.
    I would agree signage and an article in the paper are necessary. I would doubt that the little weiners responsible are reading these posts.

Nov 2005
    ooops typo, thats wieners! Little, tiny wieners.

May 2007

Obviously you are out of touch

Quote Originally Posted by 2planker110
    If you want to ride steeper lines go to Bogus and ride the stuff Ian is building.
    If these people are having trouble riding Eastside sections, I don't think sending them to Bogus is a good idea.

I hate to be an ass here but I am out for the rest of the season and have been reduced to reading these threads again......I swore after my post asking for people to walk around the features at Bogus, I was done here. Which brings me to my point, you all are so upset when people alter/go around Eastside features (I am using this term loosely here), a trail you actually ride, yet at least 75% of you insisted that we had to build ridearounds on every feature at Bogus. We did not recomend ride arounds on Ian's trails, we supported ride arounds on Ian's trails so the existing trails would not get trashed.. I am done now. I hope you are able to stop these folks because, even though I don't ride Eastside, I too am against folks F'ing with trails.[/QUOTE]

those things need a good collar and leash so the demons don't run them over and devour them

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Log is removed

Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    Has anyone ridden Entrance exam since last Tuesday? I heard rumor while I was out of town the log drop/step up was removed. I sure hope not! That log help take the mind off the suffering on the climb out and was a real challenge to line up and drop with a loaded Bob trailer.

How depressing!
    Rode up Entrance Exam this morning. The log has been removed and is lying on the downhill side of the trail... However, this may not have been intentional or malicious trail tampering. The trail tread is not "dug up" or damaged, perhaps someone simply ran into the log and knocked it loose. The log is much small than I imagined it to be and doesn't seem as though it was deeply set into the trail.

I'd be happy to fix this if it can't be done quickly through "official" means. No matter who does the work, IMHO the repair should involve drilling holes through the log and driving 5/8"x24" rebar stakes through the holes to anchor the log into the trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0