Trail crew appreciation and ATV's.- Mtbr.com
    jalepenio jimenez

Trail crew appreciation and ATV's.

While we all like to think of ourselves as willing to give freely of our time to participate in trail construction, many of us don't have the time these days to actually jump in and lend that helping hand. We all do what we can, when we can (my motto.) Timing is everything, and if you aren't available for organized work parties (whooopie...party time!) then alot of us will do a little trail brushing as we pass through an area that is becomming overgrown and crying out for attention. I know many who give their time in this manner. They carry saws and/or pruning shears and take it upon themselves to do their part when they can. But the brunt of this new trail building momentum really does fall on the shoulders of a select group of dedicated souls who do find the time and do feel the commitment to turn a bare hillside that looks promising into that winding, coursing, outsloped scratching that becomes another hoot to ride in the repertoire of network trails being constructed in the Shafer creek drainage. To all of you, thank you so very much.

That said, in my one a week ride up at BB yesterday, I noticed many ATV tracks leading off of BB road around mile post 14 (onto old reclaimed road below pavement.) After the ATV tresspass of a month ago onto the Sinker creek trail, I was under the impression that the area below the pavement was non-motorized. And yet here are their tracks, very recent in their appearance, heading off road and down into the same general area that I thought they were being kicked out of. If it truly is non-motorized, where is the enforcement that was expected to keep these hooligans out of there?

Since I don't get up there as much as I would like these days, I have minimal sightings of any other users other than bikers and hikers. I did, however, see the bear hunter (my nemesis, who parks at the big 6,000 foot elevation parking area on BB road) down at the Pac-out drive-in a couple nights ago with ATV loaded on the back of his truck, so he obviously has been riding somewhere in the vicinity of where these tracks are. His license plate is ORION 4 and if any one should see him heading down into the non-motorized areas, his plates are a sure way to I.D. him for law enforcement

Hope you're all having a good summer with lots of riding.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Pics w/Time & Date Stamp

Mudflap,

there is a chunk of private land right around that area. Actually, there are a number of chunks of private land up there. However, if he is on any of the trails, he will be on USFS land and that is non-moto designated. That said. Everyone should bring their cameras with them when they ride, and set them so they display the date and time on the pic. Not only can you memorialize the great time you had with friends on the trail, you could actually help maintain the trails in your on discreet way.

Pictures are great evidence, and the USFS law enforcement officer says they will contribute greatly to any case brought up against individuals that don't abide by the non-moto designation.

Al

PS: I am glad you are enjoying the work of the volunteers. Those guys and gals are great people.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

jalepenio jimenez
    there is a chunk of private land right around that area.
    Al, thanks for the reminder. I actually know that, but how easy it is to forget (as we age.) I've been pondering why there was no carsonite stake there with notice of non-motorized only as there are at the beginning of some of the other trailheads in the area.

It's pretty revealing into the mentality of the ATV crowd when there is an old road bed that has been reclaimed by the landowner to deter further traffic into an area, and then it is circumvented by going either up and over or out and around to bypass that reclaimed portion so as to gain access into what is obviously a trespass situation.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

Members who have read this thread: 0