Trail Conditions report- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trail Conditions report

Rode up 8th St. to the Scott's trailhead yesterday afternoon. All rideable but the sand further up 8th will suck your energy dry. I went back down 8th as I know the dark side of Scott's would've been terrible.
    This morning, ran up Hulls which was surprisingly fine (some soft spots but nothing that would make you feel too guilty). The Freeway on the other hand, is really bad. Luckily, it was sorta frozen this morning but once the sun hits, forget about it.

Hi!!!

New question here.

With mild, sunny weather expected for the next week or so....what are the best bets for a Friday evening 530-7ish ride?

Thanks

Nick

mtbr member

IF it remains like this and...

we get some wind, it might be easier to list the trails that probably WON'T be dry and is best to avoid on Friday:
    1. bottom of Bob's
    3. The 100 yard section of Shane's West of Buck's.
    4. Scott's

I'll be running a bit this week and try to hit different trails and report back.

mtbr platinum member
    Just got back from riding up Rocky Canyon Road up to the Orchard Gulch trailhead. Road up the beginning of Three-Bears, but turned around at the first right-hand bend- looked muddy and wet.

Upper Rocky Canyon Rd. was kind of like your description of 8th Street- Mostly soft, with wet sandy/muddy sections, but it felt good to get in some decent climbing (fromt Ft. Boise)
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just found this forum.
    Thanks for the trail conditions update. I'm giving my body a rest from running this weekend and plan to do some riding on Saturday afternoon.

Thanks again.
    Kev

mtbr member

Updated Report...

Went for an easy run today... Here is the route and report... Connector from Mil. Reserve to Freeway is nice, Freeway is good although there are some sections closer to Hull's that are a little wet. Sidewinder is do-able after the first 30 yards but avoid going down #4. It's a mess. Hulls all the way is good and so is the connector to the Motorcycle Parking lot. All in all, you can probably do a nice 12 miler out and back from Mil. Reserve with little if any mud sticking to your tires... Never did run Corrals. I may do that this Friday for the long run...

Hi!!!
    Thanks for the updates flip! You are potentially screwing up my Friday night plans (was planning on snowshoeing that night, but I wanna ride)!!!

You think Kestrel is doable now?

Thanks

Nick

mtbr member

Kestrel is all good...

Avoid Red Sands however... The snow will be too mushy for snowshoeing hehe...

beer is good

Trail 5 Wed.

I rode up 5 from the road behind the shooting range. Up 5, left on 6, down 4,
    sidewinder, etc. All pretty dry, a few puddles in the dips going down 4...Not to
    bad for Feb. Another rider said 6 was firm too.
    1..looking up 6 at the end of 5
    2..one puddle on 5
    3..climbing out of 6
    4..sidewinder,crestline,hulls
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi!!!
    I started my ride at around 545pm from the Fort Boise parking lot. Rode up Military Reserve Road and then got on the Connector. The Connector was in fine shape save for a somewhat muddy stretch after the initial climb. Then onto Crestline...right after the gate it was a muddy mess, but you could easily ride around it. From there to Sidewinder it was pretty damn good. Sidewinder...at least the bottom of it...looked like CRAP!!! Still saw alot of tire/paw/foot prints though and it looks like people are bypassing this and using the side of the hill now. The bottom of #4 looks like hell yet many tire tracks going through the mud. From there to the junction with Hulls....several puddles that were easy to ride around and then some good stretches of mud. This is where I turned around and headed back the same way I came up. Saw several people go up and down Red Cliffs. I quickly asked a guy about Red Cliffs and he said that it was pretty good save for some iffy spots. All in all a really GORGEOUS evening out there. I'm sooooo glad I was able to ride tonight.

I did use my light on the way down the Connector even though I didn't need to. By the time I rolled into Fort Boise my battery died on me . Guess I better make sure I charge the thing huh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Mrs. and I went for a ride yesterday afternoon. The 100 yd stretch of Shanes just west of Bucktail is still a muddy mess. I don't think it'll dry out for a while. Portions of the central ridge extension which ties into Shanes are also iffy. The part of central ridge which drops off the ridge at the switchbacks (right near the junction of mtn cove and cottonwood creek roads) is also very soupy. Very nice ride except for those sections.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Just missed you last night

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I started my ride at around 545pm from the Fort Boise parking lot.
    Hey Belay - Looks like Crash_Burn and I just missed you last night. We took off from Ft. Boise at about 6:15 and rode up Mtn. Cove road to the shooting range to trail 5. Trail 5 to 6 to Devil's Slide had some wet spots, but still was rideable. Devil's Slide had some puddles, but was in pretty good shape. Sidewinder, as you noted, was dry except for the last 20 yards. Freeway to the connector was dry, as was the connector. All in all, we had a great ride.

I also rode Tablerock/Castlerock at about 8 AM this morning. I can't believe how dry it is in places, but there are also some spots where, when it's warm, I'm sure are still a muddy mess. The newer "Old Pen" trail (connects from the Old Pen to about 1/2 way up the main Tablerock trail) is still a mess and very torn up from people hiking and biking on it when it's too warm!!

mtbr platinum member
    Dang, I did the same exact ride, but must have started a bit earlier than you. I was finishing around 6pm at Ft. Boise Anyway, spot on about the conditions.

Also, I peeked into the trails at the military reserve, and they looked soft, wet, or plain muddy. I'd steer clear of them for a while. The trail that exits into the concrete drainage looked to be a muddy mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Hey Belay - Looks like Crash_Burn and I just missed you last night. We took off from Ft. Boise at about 6:15 and rode up Mtn. Cove road to the shooting range to trail 5. Trail 5 to 6 to Devil's Slide had some wet spots, but still was rideable. Devil's Slide had some puddles, but was in pretty good shape. Sidewinder, as you noted, was dry except for the last 20 yards. Freeway to the connector was dry, as was the connector. All in all, we had a great ride.

I also rode Tablerock/Castlerock at about 8 AM this morning. I can't believe how dry it is in places, but there are also some spots where, when it's warm, I'm sure are still a muddy mess. The newer "Old Pen" trail (connects from the Old Pen to about 1/2 way up the main Tablerock trail) is still a mess and very torn up from people hiking and biking on it when it's too warm!!
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Hgfg!

Rode Hard Guy/Fast Guy this morning. Dry all of the way up to just above the sand trap. Mashed the soft trail up to the sidehill just below the junction with Harder Guy/ Faster Guy where it got too soft to be much fun. But it sure was nice riding it as far as I did for the first time since November!

(Then I made the mistake of trying to tack on a hop over Corrals Summit which will need at least another week of this weather to dry out.)

The sun helps with the bike buzz too!
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hi!!!

New question here.

Damn you rain!!!

Anyone been out there today? I brought my MTB cuz I thought it was suppose to be dry today (which it's getting to now). But I'm concerned about the showers we got earlier.

Do I stay off the trails today?

Thanks

Nick

Barneys Unite!

It rained?

I live in SE Boise, and it barely spattered my truck. Did other areas actually get wet?

sharing the love

Pretty dry over here...

I live in NW Boise and we didn't get enough rain to be a problem. Just a little sprinkle.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

Hoops - Big and Small

Last night at 7

Rode from CBack to Freeway to Sidewinder, then came down Hulls - it was a semi-rode ride - the soil is so packed down there are black skid marks on some parts of the dirt trail.

mtbr member

just got back from a dog ride...

Only did freeway down Hulls... It is pretty much summer like conditions. It was actually loose/sandy in the usual spots... Going for a 2nd longer ride in a little bit and explore different trails but I expect that even the wet trails (Corrals, dark side of Shane's, maybe even Bob's) should be good to go by this weekend if the weather continues the way it is...
    Enjoy and watch out for the crowds...

Barneys Unite!

It sounds like the weather will be ideal . . .

so there will probably be lots of folks out. I will be the overweight, out of shape guy pushing his bike up Kestrel.

Looking forward to it.

Nooberific

It's good!

Just came back from a wierd loop:

Shanes, then down central ridge, then up buck trail, and back onto the lower part of shanes and finally back down rocky canyon. 99% dry and nice all the way. The steep spot on shanes (next to the junction of buck trail and central trail) is somewhat "damp" but still rideable.

Very nice day!

Hi!!!
    What an awesome evening!!! Started out riding on Military Reserve and then up the Connector and then onto Crestline and zoomed down Red Sands and crossed 8th street and then zipped down to Camels Back. Damn near perfect conditions!!!

sharing the love

Hidden Springs

Does any one know what the trails around Hidden Springs are like? I know Red Tail Summit trail or whatever it's called can be muddy at the top right near that gravel road, but I'm wondering if the lower loops are any good. I'm bringing a born-again biker out on Sunday for a mellow ride.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    May 2004

Not very long

Quote Originally Posted by zebdi
    Does any one know what the trails around Hidden Springs are like? I know Red Tail Summit trail or whatever it's called can be muddy at the top right near that gravel road, but I'm wondering if the lower loops are any good. I'm bringing a born-again biker out on Sunday for a mellow ride.
    Zeb,

didn't find much around the lower loops when I rode it; a couple of fun turns and mildly technical sections. I'm wondering if it can be connected up to Stack though?

sharing the love

Clarification

Actually, I meant to ask if the trails are wet or rideable yet. Anyone been out there yet? I know the trails aren't all that exciting but I figured it would be good for the person we are taking out.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Another suggestion for a born again first ride.

Actually, I meant to ask if the trails are wet or rideable yet. Anyone been out there yet? I know the trails aren't all that exciting but I figured it would be good for the person we are taking out.
    The the first doubletrack off top of the gravel road can get notoriusly mushy. It was last December even before what little precip we've had this year arrived.

If you're looking to take a beginner on some singletrack you might try the new trails at the base of Seaman's Gulch - just turn off Hill towards Hidden Springs and look for a parking area on te right about 1/2 mile up. Short, sweet and easy with lots of little loops describes this area.

sharing the love

Mushy?

Is it dry? I've been there last summer but it seemed like it wouldn't drain well. Good option though if it is dry.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    [QUOTE=zebdi]Is it dry? QUOTE]

Sorry, can't answer that one. My *guess* is that it would dry out faster than the upper part of (I think it's called) Red Tail. It's probably been getting sun - the poorly drained trails in the central foothills have dried out recently in the sun.

As I recall, the Seaman's Gulch trails had some north-facing exposures but there are several that stay on the ridge tops.

Good luck!

Look out!

Hidden Springs

The trails are 95% dry. The lone exception is along currant creek from cartwright road. They are in pretty good shape, my wife and I rode em twice this week. Come out and enjoy!

mtbr platinum member

3/4/05 Corrals and Bob's

Stay off Corrals for a while!!! Very wet after the first creek crossing and above. Many ruts from people trying to ride it.

Bob's Trail is wet in too many places to list (off of the Corrals connector down to the first bridge and down along the creek near the bottom were the worst).

Hi!!!
    Rode Kestrel --> Crestline --> Hulls --> Red Fox. AWESOME!!!! There were ALOT of people out today. I started at 5 and ended at 6 (yes I'm that slow! )

mtbr member

Time to ressurect an old thread

Based on the conditions when I rode last night and if it rained all night (and looking at the forecast), the trails aren't going to be pretty the next few days. Road trip for this weekend anyone? I have tuned up a couple of my bikes that I don't ride very often and they need to be ridden...

rider
    Sep 2005
    Wednesday night I rode up scotts to 8th over to Hard Guy. It was cold wet and pretty dark but the trails were in good rideable condition at the time (it had not been riding for long when we left (around 5:30). The only things that slowed us down coming down hard guy were our cold frozen fingers and the elk that crossed the trail in front of us...

mtbr member
    May 2004

Up on the mountain

Around Stack rock area,
    does anybody know what the dirt is looking like now?