Took some Flak today- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Took some Flak today

So I rode up the freeway, down Military Reserve singletrack, crossed the fireroad, up and out the new trail to the bottom of Shanes.

Got to the bottom of Shanes and began climbing. There was a man and a woman hiking/walking with their dog. I came up on them and they kindly moved to the side.
    I was about to say thanks when the lady starts going off on me.

She begins to "educate" me that I shouldn't be riding here now, that it's because of "us" that erosion occurs, and to look at the dirt on my tires.

I remain calm (won't say what I was thinking in my head, you can imagine). I say the ground is loamy and sticky, not wet, and that I am not dragging my rear brake and skidding my rear tire all over the trail.

She then continues that she is a "mountain biker too", and tries to tell me to go ride somewhere else.

I didn't mouth off or anything although I came close. Kept on riding, made a right and went up the climbs and enjoyed the steep, slightly technical climb with the few rocky sections, kept going, then just came back down (after they were gone, thank God).

Yep, there were a few scattered muddy sections, but all in all, the whole trail was sticky, not wet at all....... The fireroad leading back to Military Reserve area WAS very muddy in spots, which I avoided best I could.

I'm sorry but these kind of people, you cannot reason with. If they are out there hiking, we can be out there riding. Who do they think they are?

If she wants to get the trail closed or closed earlier, then attend meetings and try to do so. I've never seen her at any trail maintenance events either....

I'm pissed off at this
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    and i'm sure prior to running into them you were having a great day !! That's what really sucks...should have told her that if she wanted a quite romantic walk with her boyfriend then maybe they should have stayed in their backyard. Now you are getting me pissed off about it.

go ride again tomarrow, and it will ease your soul.

later, Chad
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If a "fellow mtb rider" feels that way about it imagine what non-riders are thinking.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I didn't really

[QUOTE=danK]If a "fellow mtb rider" feels that way about it imagine what non-riders are thinking.[/QUOT

give much credence to her being a real mountain biker. Maybe a recreational one.
    I know we're all "recreational", unless someone is pro, but you know what I mean.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

fat_tire_chick
    Nov 2004

shes just angry

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    So I rode up the freeway, down Military Reserve singletrack, crossed the fireroad, up and out the new trail to the bottom of Shanes.

Got to the bottom of Shanes and began climbing. There was a man and a woman hiking/walking with their dog. I came up on them and they kindly moved to the side.
    I was about to say thanks when the lady starts going off on me.

She begins to "educate" me that I shouldn't be riding here now, that it's because of "us" that erosion occurs, and to look at the dirt on my tires.

I remain calm (won't say what I was thinking in my head, you can imagine). I say the ground is loamy and sticky, not wet, and that I am not dragging my rear brake and skidding my rear tire all over the trail.

She then continues that she is a "mountain biker too", and tries to tell me to go ride somewhere else.

I didn't mouth off or anything although I came close. Kept on riding, made a right and went up the climbs and enjoyed the steep, slightly technical climb with the few rocky sections, kept going, then just came back down (after they were gone, thank God).

Yep, there were a few scattered muddy sections, but all in all, the whole trail was sticky, not wet at all....... The fireroad leading back to Military Reserve area WAS very muddy in spots, which I avoided best I could.

I'm sorry but these kind of people, you cannot reason with. If they are out there hiking, we can be out there riding. Who do they think they are?

If she wants to get the trail closed or closed earlier, then attend meetings and try to do so. I've never seen her at any trail maintenance events either....

I'm pissed off at this
    She is just angry because she has chosen a poor mate. When in all actuality she wants a mate who will ride bikes with her but she made a poor life altering decision and chose to be with a man who doesnt ride a bike! So when you came upon them so many wonderful memories of riding her bike came back to her, and she found herself resentful because her boyfrined cant ride two wheels!
    she is just a sad and lonely woman who doesnt ride a bike anymore, so now the world is bad place.
    You should feel good your ride for the day is done you held your tongue, and you didnt crash!

mtbr member
    now that's a great perspective !