Too old to Ride! WTF!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Too old to Ride! WTF!

So a couple of weeks ago I go to Tamarack while riding I crash. Handlebar in the thigh (one of the few places not protected) and bend my pinkie back so far I thought I broke it. I show up for work Monday morning limping with a swollen finger, but still manage to perform my job. Flash forward--I go riding at the Eagle Velodrome/bike park. Feeling good I had tweaked my bike alittle and wanted to give it a whirl before heading to Tamarack for a Sunday ride this weekend. First trip down and not wearing all the proper gear I put my foot down just as the bike bottoms out. Slams my foot onto a rock right in the heal. I manage to take about 3 more runs before thinking crap my foot hurts. I arrive at work the next day limping. A co-worker says after telling him the story, "Man you gotta stop that, you're getting to old for that. What are you doing to yourself? " To which I reply "If it ever gets like that, I think I will just toss in the towel and call it good." Anyway at 43 almost 44 I am not about to "call it good" pain is part of fun. I want to die riding if I can't die having sex. I am not the best, but I love to ride especially downhill.
    See Ya at the bottom!!!!

Look out!
    I wish I could remember what I did at 44. Keep up the riding it will give you a great base fitness for your 50's and beyond. Tell that youngin to get out and try it, he may like it.
    Ride the bike.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    You're definitely too old to let comments like that bother you .
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Yup, you are definitely too old to let a whipper snapper get to you like that. I would fired this back at him:

"Keeping myself happy and youthful. Injuries aside. Riding keeps my mind and body young."

Keep going for it TTK8!!!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep keep riding and loving it. Waay too many fat and obese, sedentary people in the US. Go for the fitness, the technical, the endorphin rush, friendships and awesome everythig about our sport. Long life and health to ya
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This brings up a point I've been considering lately. I heard a snipit of an interview the other day, the jist of which was that as people reach retirement age, the white collar workers are in better physical condition than manual laborers. This was of course the interviewie's point of view and I didn't hear what facts they had to back it up. Now I'm wondering about my lifestyle- I work nights cooking so that I can ride in the morning. So here I'm ridding and beating myself on the dirt and then I spend the next eight or so hours standing. While I would not catgorize cooking as manual labor( tried it, not for me), I 'm wondering what shape I'll be in when I have enough $$$ to retire? Should I buy bigger suspension to save abuse on my body? Or will it only encourage me to take bigger chances? Oh and by the way, I'm just whipper at 35. Just a muse.

archie

mtbr member
    I crashed at Fernie yesterday and got knocked out for about 30sec -1min. People are telling me Im getting too old to be jumping and riding stunts. Im only 34 and I plan on hitting it hard untill I just cant ride my bike anymore.

Rocks Rock

At 52

I still heal just as fast as I used to.
    Am I being kind?

Members who have read this thread: 0