Tires for Boise Foothills- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Tires for Boise Foothills

Can anyone recommend tires that work well for the dry, sandy, sometimes rocky trails in the Boise foothills. I do ride Hard Guy or Corrals about once a week so I also need a tire that will work well on Bogus Basin Road. I currently have Bontrager Jones Xr and the suck.

Talentless Hack

One tire to defeat them all

Quote Originally Posted by Blueturf
    Can anyone recommend tires that work well for the dry, sandy, sometimes rocky trails in the Boise foothills. I do ride Hard Guy or Corrals about once a week so I also need a tire that will work well on Bogus Basin Road. I currently have Bontrager Jones Xr and the suck.
    Kenda Small Block 8's are the best summer tire I have ever ridden. I use the 2.35 tubeless on Stans Flow rims. Scary fast, light and super sticky in the corners. That said they are the worst Spring/Winter tires ever made. Get em.
    Sierra Club Sucks

mtnjam
    I used to ride Kenda Nevegals front and rear all the time, wear quickly probably overkill for foothills riding. Tried some Maxxis Larsen TT's, great tire, but washed out too much for me on corners, Schwalbe Big Betty's are fun, but big. So far my favorite tire has been the Nobby Nics for foothills riding. I'll let you know about the Fat Albert combo soon.
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This thread has been done a lot on here just search, but, for a front tire I'm running a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 and like it a lot. It's rolls pretty well, and has aggressive but not overly large side knobs that bite good. It's squarish profile so for corners works better with aggressive riding get those knobbies to bite.

I like it in general foothills riding, Castle and Table Rock stuff, up on the mountain and at the pump track
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

gringo-fied facsimiles

+1 small block 8

Great tires for the foot hills, but stay away from pine-needle laden trails, they skid and slide all over the place. great winter tire as well. great combo? advantage 2.4 front and 2.35 8 on the back. On fat alberts right now, great tire, roll fast great hook up, good wear. not a fan of the nevegals, or the ignitors, racing ralphs are a great tire. not a fan of anything specialized or bontrager in the way of tires. heard good things on mountain kings.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Been really happy with Weirwolf LTs but they are fairly big. Fast though.

mtbr member
    WTB 2.2 wolverine up front with specialized 2.0 fast trak on the rear. I like this setup mostly because the front still hooks up, but is still somewhat light and it rolls ok, while the rear tire has decent hook up, but rolls nice and fast plus is super light.

jalepenio jimenez
    just tore out the sidewall on my rear end which was last years wtb moto raptor and replaced it with a panaracer rampage. I've never had such a squirrely tire. I have the same tire up front and it's been great. I'm waiting to wear down some of the blocks on that rear tire in hopes that it's performance will improve. if it doesn't, I like the sounds of the Kenda small block 8's or the nobby nics. I do alot of riding on rocky terrain whenever possible, so whatever I ride on, it definetly has to stand up to lots of hard bashing and sidewall abuse. could be that I end up back where I started on the moto's. they were great for my kind of riding.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Mudflap where do you ride a lot?
    Yeah I just tore a hole in the sidewall of my Kenda Nevegal, must have been on Gardner Peak. I thought i had bent my rim slightly. I have another one (a StickE) but might try the small block 8, I hear they're pretty good for late summer/fall foothills riding SAND and loose over Hardpack
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtnjam
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    just tore out the sidewall on my rear end which was last years wtb moto raptor and replaced it with a panaracer rampage. I've never had such a squirrely tire. I have the same tire up front and it's been great. I'm waiting to wear down some of the blocks on that rear tire in hopes that it's performance will improve. if it doesn't, I like the sounds of the Kenda small block 8's or the nobby nics. I do alot of riding on rocky terrain whenever possible, so whatever I ride on, it definetly has to stand up to lots of hard bashing and sidewall abuse. could be that I end up back where I started on the moto's. they were great for my kind of riding.
    if you subject your tires to potential sidewall threats, definitely get the Schwalbe's. Excellent sidewalls, snakeskin sidewalls I think they call them, and they don't wear as fast as other tires.
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member

nobby nics

i've been riding nobby nics for the last 2 months. they're great. i'm riding 2.25s, evo, standard tires..i have them set up on stans arch rims....rear tire sealed easy and loses minimal to no air. front tire has been a little more work. it's holding well now...but, it took a while to seal it.

incidently...i have some brand new...and used kendas that i should sell....'cause i'll be riding the nobby nics for a while...i'd also like to try out the racing ralph or rocket rons for the rear....

tires i have new and used:

2.5 nevegals....2.35 small block 8s....

the nobby nics - i got them for $45/tire from biketiresdirect. total/shipped. these are the evo versions. non sidewalls. they had them on sale...and had a 15% coupon after that...

not as cheap as kendas...but, a good deal, imo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    any 29er tire recommendations?

bike me, then beer me

29er tires..

I have standard Maxis Ignitors on both my bikes. One set is tubless the other tubed. They seem to do pretty well on all our trails. I worry about the sidewalls all the time and did put a gouge in one that I now use as only a spare. I get a little sloppy through the rocks sometimes. Light and they seal good as tubeless.

Another tire I liked was the Bontrager XC Jones but they seemed to wear pretty fast. I haven't tried these in tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    any 29er tire recommendations?

pretty sure the schwalbes come in 29er sizes. give them a try..

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Ritchey SpeedMax Cross Pro 700x32

I'm just sayin'
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Specialized The Captain Control 2Bliss for both 26" and 29. Front and/or rear. High volume. Lightweight. Good grip. Fast rolling. Seal up well. I've got two of the 26 x 2.2 (one front and one rear, two different bikes), a 26 x 2.0 (rear), and a 29 x 2.0 (also rear.) Best foothills tire since the Mutanoraptor. I hear the Specialized Purgatory 2.2 works well too.

As for the Small Block 8, I think it should be named the Skating on Ice with Ball Bearings 8. Sketchiest, worst gripping, most horrible pucker-inducing, slipping and sliding piece of week old monkey dung "tire" I've ever owned. Riding on your rim would offer more traction. Stay away, far away, from this tire.

Talentless Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    As for the Small Block 8, I think it should be named the Skating on Ice with Ball Bearings 8. Sketchiest, worst gripping, most horrible pucker-inducing, slipping and sliding piece of week old monkey dung "tire" I've ever owned. Riding on your rim would offer more traction. Stay away, far away, from this tire.
    The 2.35 size running tubeless at 28 PSI is key. Again I can't say with enough vigor this is the best summer tire I have ever run.
    Sierra Club Sucks

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    The 2.35 size running tubeless at 28 PSI is key. Again I can't say with enough vigor this is the best summer tire I have ever run.
    Small Block 8. Durable. Yup. Even at 28 - my favorite PSI of all time. Ever.

I can't say with enough vigor what a cheesey tire. New Kids on the Small Block 8 - as it were.

Like Aeneama, or what ever his name is, says: I'm done with Kenda.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Small Block Fail. Poseur road tire for spandex sausage casing clad racer boy leg shavers with a bladder control problem.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Small Block Fail. Poseur road tire for spandex sausage casing clad racer boy leg shavers with a bladder control problem.
    I got a visual.

Adult diapers squeezed under lycra.

A visual that's gonna be dogging you all day.

mtbr member
    Rear tire -whatever is on sale.
    Front tire - directional pattern like the Weirwolf or Velociraptor works well with all the vag sand and loose crap in the foothills. Panaracer should get their head outta their ass and bring the Dart back in a useable size-something larger than a pizza cutter....that would be a sweet front tire in the overused sand traps.
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I ended up getting a 2.1 small block 8 rear and 2.35 nevegal front. Got a great deal off of Bobs website. This is a pretty good combo. Only road it for a week or so though. Since then I purchased a different bike that had new 2.4 Mutano Raptors on it. Switched out the back with the small block 8. Really liking this combo. They roll real fast and corner great at high speeds.

mtbr member
    Try some round ones
    Ride & Smile

Members who have read this thread: 0