Tire recommendations for Boise area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tire recommendations for Boise area

Looking for tires for the Boise area. I ride cross country and weigh about 85. I ride a 26" hardtail with lots of front suspension. I currently have Maxiss High Rollers (2.3) and Panaracer Fire Pro's (2.1). Which one of these would be a the better all around tire and size for the area. Any other recommendations are welcome as well. I am also builing up a rigid 29er and am also looking at tires for that as well. Thank you for any help.

mortman
    Aug 2006

Tires

I've run the Panaracers on my C'Dale Jekyll for the last four years. I ride mostly in the Boise Foot Hills and out in the Owyhees, but have used them in other places like MOAB and I like them. I have used a set per year and will stick with them.

Good traction on all types of terrain. Good durability. And a GOOD price on Pricepoint.
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

Barneys Unite!

I really like the . . .

Mutanoraptor 2.4's. I have tried IRC Serac's, Panaracer Smoke and Dart combo, a pair of Kenda's, and I much prefer the Mutano's. They have good cornering/sidewall adhesion, and they climb very well, but they don't have the tendency to climb out of a rut. Also, I usually ride 5-10 miles to a trailhead, and the Mutano's have a center tread that rides smoothly on pavement.

Just my .02 - my best friend really likes the Velociraptors.

mtbr member
    What do you need tires for? Don't you just float up the trail? My left leg weights more than you

Plenty of people ride the panaracers and I've run a couple sets of 'em and they work fine. There seems to be a concensus that the Mutanoraptors are best but I have yet to try them. I would ride the panaracers until there is a problem you want to address or they wear out.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

The wheels of the bikego 'round & 'round...

I like the really round tires. They seem to roll the best, as opposed to the squarish ones, or the flat ones...

ON a serious note, Mutano Race up until the trails get soft, or if you are into long rides/ climbs and your focus isn't high speed & technical descents...then if you want to haul a$$, do rides under 3hrs, and like to find that groove on the DH...Minions DHF & DHR ST, or ADvantages...
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Hi!!!
    85 pounds!?!?!?

As of right now...I'm a big fan of both the Mutano's and Weirwolf's. If I had to pick only one tire for the Footies, I'd probably go Weirwolf's. Even though the WTB has them listed under the FR/DH section, I'd say they are more XC'ish in nature.

I had Minion DH's on my Yeti....great for trips to Brundage and Tamarack....but they were slow for stuff around here.

Tried the Kenda Cortez for a couple of months and did not like those at all. For me, they just did not seem to bite well when cornering. The front tire would slip on say a trail like Bucktail going down from Shane's.

Do a search for a couple of tire threads in here. Lot of opinions on what to use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I asked a similar question a while ago and got a lot of great input. This thread may be helpful:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=194503

I ended up with Mutanoraptors and like them. I wasn't sure that I would like them because I had always ridden on tires with more prominent knobs. They're a little sketchy in granular snow, but that's about it.

HH

mtbr member

Hope Sorry about the weight typo

I am actually 185. I haven't done the Nicole Ritchie diet yet. Maybe then I will get to that target 85 weight. I cam across these tire and thought these might work. 04.bigwheel.jpg Has anyone tried them? Thanks for the input. SInce I am riding a hardtail I will try the ever heavy 2.35's (Can run lower pressure). When I get my lighter wheelset then I will bump to the 2.1's. I will feel like I am riding on air. The heavier wheels make strong legs (so I will keep telling myself)Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Road slicks? jus kiddin. I'm running the Kenda Nevegals and they go pretty good. I have a set of Kenda Small Block 8's that I haven't tried yet. You can probably get away with a set of fast rolling small knobby tires for most of the Boise foothills in spring but when it gets some sandy and loose sections in summer or later summer, something with some more contact patch and float. I rode Hutchinson Pythons for a good while when I first moved here and they went pretty good too

TERVOR THE GREAT
    The high rollers work sweet here.

Also, if you're interested in buying new tires, the continental gravity is amazing for everywhere I've ever been. Well it's 2.5 brother was...
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

over researcher

UST specific tires?

Found this thread using the search feature. Novel idea, I know. I also read the following threads.
    • LINK - from 4/06
    • LINK - from 7/05 - earthpig tried, but did not like the weirwolf for Boise, but liked it for McCall.
    • LINK - from 1/05
    • LINK - from 5/06
    I ride a Flux and weigh 165 with a camelbak full of water, food, tubes, tire pump, shock pump, and other misc. crap necessary for long excursions. I started out with the 2.0 Spec Fast Trak Pro tires I pulled off my hardtail. Then I switched to 2.1 Kenda DTC Nevegal for the rear and a 2.1 Kenda Stick-E Blue Groove for the front. They have done well on terrain shown in the two pictures below. I liked them fine, but I quickly wore out the Nevegal. I put a Fast Trak back there, and that's when I realized how slow the Nevegal was. I felt like I was shot out of a cannon when riding with the Fast Trak. Although, I do realize the Fast Trak is not the ideal tire, and certainly would not provide a comfy feeling on out and back rides like in the first picture (milking the picture one more time). On that particular ride, I could hear loud "popping" sounds from the tires hitting against the outside lugs of the tire, but surprisingly there was no chunking of the lugs going on.

Larry is building me a wheelset with Mavic 819 rims, and I'm ordering a new set of UST specific tires too. I chose the WTB Weirwolf 2.1 UST for the front and the Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 LUST for the rear. Because of the reading I did, I'm wondering if I should change my mind on the Weirwolf.

Does anybody have any UST specific tire suggestions for Boise riding? Most of my riding will probably be in the foothills, but in the heat of the summer, I'll be driving a bit to get to the high quality surrounded by trees riding. In the first picture, the Kendas I was running weren't ideal, but they did fine. I'm looking for tires that will work excellent for the local Boise rides, but will still work fine on the rides that take some driving to get to. Just like the Kendas did in the first picture.

Thanks.
    Last edited by royta; 06-04-2007 at 07:08 AM.

over researcher
    I was talking to Larry this morning, and he suggested a Conti Vertical. How does the Vertical 2.3 UST fare in the foothills? Again, I'm looking for something that will perform rather well in the foothills, but won't kill me on the terrain found on the Hwy 55 and Hwy 21 rides.

King of the Barneys
    I tried a pair of the Conti Verts, and hated them. But I think there are those who like them. They tend to be populare where there's loamy, forest soil. I ran the IRC Mythos for a lot of years, then switched to big, fat Kendas and love them. Have the Kinetics on the SS, Nev/Blue Gr on the boing-boing, and the IRC rear with a Motoraptor 2.4 on the ht.

It's like recommending a saddle or a movie though, it's such a personal thing.

cDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    It's like recommending a saddle or a movie though, it's such a personal thing.
    I've got a 2.35" High Roller up front, and a Larsen TT out back on my boingboing. My hardtail has a pair of Fire XC Pros. I really don't notice much of a difference, except the Maxxis tires seem to have much tougher sidewalls. I've torn up a bunch of Fire XCs, and I am NOT an abusive rider. The Maxxis also weigh about 2x as much as the Panaracers.

Lots of small knobs, that's my story, and I am sticking to it.

over researcher
    Yeah, the 2.35 High Roller LUST is 890 grams.

How does the Blue Groove 2.1 UST work up front on the foothills? They're a touch heavier than the Weirwolf 2.1 UST at 770 +-40 grams as compared to 720 grams. I guess that's not really worth worrying about though. One thing is for sure, I've been real happy with the Blue Groove Stick-E 2.1 where I'm at, and was happy with it in Jackson Hole last year when I rode Shadow Mountain, and in Ogden Canyon when I rode on Powder Mountain. Of course, none of that riding was on plain hardpack though. It was on hardpack, but with some loose stuff on top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    Yeah, the 2.35 High Roller LUST is 890 grams.

How does the Blue Groove 2.1 UST work up front on the foothills? They're a touch heavier than the Weirwolf 2.1 UST at 770 +-40 grams as compared to 720 grams. I guess that's not really worth worrying about though. One thing is for sure, I've been real happy with the Blue Groove Stick-E 2.1 where I'm at, and was happy with it in Jackson Hole last year when I rode Shadow Mountain, and in Ogden Canyon when I rode on Powder Mountain. Of course, none of that riding was on plain hardpack though. It was on hardpack, but with some loose stuff on top.
    BG works pretty good for the front (2.1, 2.35 or 2.5) around here. However, I've found that the Nev (in the same sizes) works even better.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    BG works pretty good for the front (2.1, 2.35 or 2.5) around here. However, I've found that the Nev (in the same sizes) works even better.
    I'll bet the Rampage 2.1 UST would work well up front then. How's the rolling resistance on the Nevegal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    I'll bet the Rampage 2.1 UST would work well up front then. How's the rolling resistance on the Nevegal?
    Rolling resistance on the Nevs is only bad if you run the Stick-E in the back. Up front, you can still feel it, but it's worth it...

over researcher
    Stick-E in the back? Crazy talk! The DTC wore fast in the back, I couldn't imagine how many tires I'd go through if I ran the Stick-E back there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Conti Vert on the front, Mythos or weirwolf on the back. But I ride in the mountains or the dersert. 2.1 for fast riding and 2.3 for the fun days.

over researcher
    I picked up a Nobby Nic 2.1 UST for the rear and a Nobby Nic 2.25 UST for the front before heading to Yreka, CA last week. The tires stuck to the dirt. Hard pack with a little bit of loose on top. Good climbing, braking, and cornering. Expensive though at $57 a tire, but worked quite well on the trails shown below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0