thorn situation in the Boise area- Mtbr.com
    over researcher

thorn situation in the Boise area

What's the thorn situation like on the rides in the Boise area? I should be coming up soon, and I'm wondering if tubeless is the way to go. I like running tubes for the simplicity, but I'll reluctantly switch to tubeless if the trails are riddled with thorns.

No, I don't want to hear opinions on the benefits of tubeless even if there are no thorns.

Hi!!!
    I haven't gotten any goatheads from the Foothills in the past couple of months. I do get goatheads when I'm dinking around at home though .

I am using 2.24 Mutanos with regular tubes and haven't had any problems on the local trails or even out in the Owyhees.

just a man

Tyvek

Hi Royta,

Give us a holler when you set your plans to visit. We'll organize a ride or two.

I haven't had any goathead issues in quite a while either. Then again I run dh tubes. But I haven't even had to pick anything out of the tires either.

On that note, I saw this recently and thought it might be helpful for folks: http://www.leelikesbikes.com/weightl...re-liners.html

Tyvek is used also as a moisture barrier on new construction. There was an almost-depleted roll in the dumpster next to my house that I snagged the other day. If anyone wants to try this, lemme know.

over researcher
    Wow, I never thought of using Tyvek. It certainly wouldn't add too much rotational weight. It's certainly not bullet proof, but it should probably stop thorns from getting through.

My dilemna is this. I need to have a new wheelset built up. If I'm going to run tubeless, then I want the actual UST standard bead (because I'll run UST tires for the heavier carcass and less sidewall flex in the corners), so I'll go with Mavid 819's. If I'm going to run tubes, I'll probably go DT 4.1d or 4.2d's. The tubes I currently run are Maxxis Flyweight's and I love them. Sometime between September and the second quarter of next year, I'll be moving up to the Boise area. I'd like to have my wheels built on the rims that I'll need for where I'm going, not for where I'm at.

My current setup has allowed me to do rides like this, without any issues. Push to the top, and fly back down.

over researcher
    Must have more answers. Answer me NOW!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    Must have more answers. Answer me NOW!!!
    Goatheads are bad in the fall, but the rest of the year they are not an issue.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Goatheads are bad in the fall, but the rest of the year they are not an issue.

You should be safe. I think my kids picked up every goathead in Boise last week. At least it looked that way on their tires! (I don't know how they find them all.)

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=royta]. I'd like to have my wheels built on the rims that I'll need for where I'm going, not for where I'm at.

819's are good and so are the DT rims with the eclipse tubeless strips...

over researcher
    flipnidaho - Are both the DT and 819 the same as far as burping with UST tires? Or is that just the nature of the beast with all tubeless setups?

everybody else - If goatheads are a problem in the fall, do the majority of folks go tubeless with some sort of sealant? When in Rome...

mtbr member
    flipnidaho - Are both the DT and 819 the same as far as burping with UST tires? Or is that just the nature of the beast with all tubeless setups?

everybody else - If goatheads are a problem in the fall, do the majority of folks go tubeless with some sort of sealant? When in Rome...
    Most burping issues are from rims and tires that are not UST but were converted to tubeless using Stans. UST rims and UST tires have a far more secure and airtight bead so burping should not be common.
    Goatheads are a problem all year round since the goatheads seem to find themselves on every sidewalk crack in town. They are worse in fall when the seeds come out and dry up. I only have one bike that I run tubeless on (it's the epic rides bike). I run tubes and carry spare tubes and patch kits for the rest of the bikes... However, even when I ride the tubeless bike, I always carry a spare tube AND a patch kit.

over researcher
    Thanks flipnidaho. Do the DT rims with the Eclipse tubeless strips qualify as a real UST rims? Is there something different between them and a standard non UST rim changed over to tubeless with Stans strips?

mtbr member
    The DT rims with Eclipse strips are similar to Bontrager's Tubeless Ready. I don't think they can technically call it a "UST" rim since that is a Mavic licensed term. The difference between the DT/Eclipse (and Bontrager Tubeless ready) and the Stan's setup is that the Stan's setup is meant for non-UST tires while the UST, DT/Eclipse and Bontrager Tubeless Ready are meant to run UST tires... The DT and Bontrager system of "regular" rims with tubeless strips is also lighter since it doesn't require special nipples like the Mavic system.

FWIW, I run non-UST tires with Stan's on a UST rim...

mtbr member
    If anything, I'd guess the majority still use traditional tires and tubes with sealant (Slime), and/or tire liners, as we've been doing for years and years. Slime in regular tubes works fine for goatheads. The more common trails seem goathead-free. It is the sides of the paved and dirt roads and trails down in the valley where I think they are the worst.

Not everybody has gone tubeless -- but you might get that impression from the internet. :-)
    If you are just riding the foothills, you could probably go without sealant, but I wouldn't want to chance it on an epic ride. A spare tube and patch kit don't cut it when you've got a dozen goatheads in each tire.

King of the Barneys
    Yeah, what he said.

I never find goatheads in the foothills or further up the mtn. The neighborhoods, though, now that's a different story. Slime tubes is all I run, (but I added liners to the road bike.)

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

over researcher
    I think it might be time to switch to tubeless then. Mavic 819 w/ real UST tires, and a shot or two of Stan's in there for good measure.

Now, what are popular front and rear UST tires for the area? Since I'll be UST w/ sealant, I won't be changing tires around depending on terrain. What works for the local Boise stuff, and also works for the 1 or 2 hour away rides?

Thank you kindly.

Roy

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thorns

What's the thorn situation like on the rides in the Boise area? I should be coming up soon, and I'm wondering if tubeless is the way to go. I like running tubes for the simplicity, but I'll reluctantly switch to tubeless if the trails are riddled with thorns.

No, I don't want to hear opinions on the benefits of tubeless even if there are no thorns.
    Hiya Royta,

in later summer to fall it is definitely a "thorny" situation hheheh

Man, I crack myself up!!! hehehe.

That's part of the reason while I'll finally switch to tubeless with some kind of sealant next time I need a set of tyres.
    You could probably be fine running slime tubes

thanks
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 05-21-2007 at 12:30 PM.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    If you put stans in a tube, your life will be amazing.

no flats here in years.
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    how big of tires are you looking at?
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

over researcher

pulled the trigger

• Chris King ISO hubs - Black
    • Chris King Al cassette lock ring - Black
    • Mavic 819 rims
    • DT Swiss Super Comp Spokes
    • DT Swiss Al nipples - Black
    • Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 LUST
    • WTB Weirwolf 2.1 UST
    • Schwalbe tire sealant - apparently Stan's will eat the rubber of Schwalbe tires, so Schwalbe came out with their own stuff. It's supposedly just as thin as Stan's and since I have absolutely no experience with tire sealant, I figured what the heck.
    • Avid BB7 F & R 160mm brakes
    I've been thrilled with just Maxxis Flyweight tubes. The only time I've pinched in the last year and a half was on the street after a long ride, and I failed a miserable hop onto a curb. The rear tire caught the curb and I flatted. 5 to 10 minutes later I was back on the bike with a new tube. I figured I would at least give tubeless a shot. If I hate the stuff, I'll get the hubs relaced to some DT 4.1's or 4.2's.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've been out a ton this season and not one goathead to speak of. I say that now and tomorrow I'll land in a craplaod of them just because I posted this.
    As long as I can make it back ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_d_23
    I've been out a ton this season and not one goathead to speak of. I say that now and tomorrow I'll land in a craplaod of them just because I posted this.
    I picked up my first goathead of the year Sunday morning. Woo-hoo! I didn't notice I had a nearly flat tire until I started downhill and almost bought it -- on the Military reserve connector. Flat, Slimed tires are squirelly. I picked up the bugger on Hill Road, Camelsback, or Kestrel. I _love_ starting a ride with a flat. Just a single goathead, with the seed pod still attached. I pulled the thorn, reinflated the tire and let Slime do its thing. Sunday was a great day in the footies, as there were enough clouds early on to keep it cool.

Members who have read this thread: 0