thanks for the idea crashnburn...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

thanks for the idea crashnburn...

I've setup the light SS as a temporary dinglespeed just like the green slinger (but without the flip-flop)...
    gears are 32X20 for climbing and 36X16 for getting to the trailhead (this will be my PI vacation bike).. The only thing i worry about is that the axle is sitting a little low on the dropouts in 36X16 mode since my chainline is about 2mm shorter than 32X20 mode. i'll test it today to make sure the wheel doesn't fall out while sprinting/jumping/bashing into stuff, etc... Fortunately, the parallel push of the Shimano brakes still hit the rim squarely even with the lower wheel.
    Here she is in 36X16 mode...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

and...

32X20. Notice that the wheel sits forward in the dropouts. That's because I filed the axle caps down by about 2 or 3mm to make myself a ghetto ENO system (no tensioner)...
    The chainline looks straight enough for both gears...
    Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions Brett...
    G
    Attached Images Attached Images

gringo-fied facsimiles

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooo................!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flip, flip, flip. tsk tsk tsk, why may I ask.......you were such a promissing young lad.
    to each thier own....
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

Hoops - Big and Small

Nice Mod!

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    32X20. Notice that the wheel sits forward in the dropouts. That's because I filed the axle caps down by about 2 or 3mm to make myself a ghetto ENO system (no tensioner)...G
    That looks pretty ingenious, the ghetto ENO that is. Hope it holds up to the Flying Flip!

The chainline looks perrrrfect. Do you have to release the brake noodle and slide the tire out to switch gears? Doesn't seem to difficult.

I've seen some of the pics from the PISS thread - will you be able to work the dingle their?

I mainly like having the big gear for gettin to the trail head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    That looks pretty ingenious, the ghetto ENO that is. Hope it holds up to the Flying Flip!

The chainline looks perrrrfect. Do you have to release the brake noodle and slide the tire out to switch gears? Doesn't seem to difficult.

I've seen some of the pics from the PISS thread - will you be able to work the dingle their?

I mainly like having the big gear for gettin to the trail head.
    No need to undo the brake noodle at all when I switch gears. I just undo the quick release for some slack, put the chain on the bigger (or smaller gear) and tighten the qr again and it's good to go. It takes about 30 seconds...

Yeah, the dingle is for the PI vacation... I won't have a car and I have a 15 km flat spin to the trailhead and a 32X20 would not be fun... No need for the dingle where I live now however since it's a 200 yard uphill ride to the trailhead...

TERVOR THE GREAT
    I love the dingle speed idea! Ever since I first saw Carl Marcum running it on his Voltage, I fell in love with it...
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

just a man
    I'm new to this talk, but wouldn't it be more aptly called a quadringle speed? You've got four different gears, no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    I'm new to this talk, but wouldn't it be more aptly called a quadringle speed? You've got four different gears, no?
    i can't cross chain (run 36X20 or 32X16) since I would either have too much slack or not enough chain, therefore only 2 gears. I tested it last night and the only problem was the quick link was hitting the 32 when off the saddle so I reversed the half link and all is ok... The wheel didn't move even through drops and hitting curbs at speed... gotta love Shimano QR's.

Hoops - Big and Small

Bike Math

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Welcome to the weird world of bike junkies - Take a look at these numbers 36X16, 32X20
    since they both add up to 52, the rear wheel stays in nearly in the same place (Great photo's G) when dialing up either gear combo. So it's two gears no cross chaining allowed grasshopper.

mtbr member

I forgot to add...

the weight penalty for the steel ring and cog plus longer bolts was 140 grams. The other alternative to go dingle (Melvin Tensioner plus bigger chainring would've been around 170 grams)...

Hoops - Big and Small

Total Play

I tested it last night and the only problem was the quick link was hitting the 32 when off the saddle so I reversed the half link and all is ok... The wheel didn't move even through drops and hitting curbs at speed... gotta love Shimano QR's.
    For a bit of a wrap-up on the info

Who makes the 1/2 link option?

With the 1/2 link and ghetto ENO how much "adjustment" for chain growth does this give you?

The reason I ask this I was surprised at how much one link made at my fork ends. I needed to get out to the edge to make more room for my tire at the BB CS area, but it's hard to imagine it working on vertical drop-outs. It's great how you thought outside the box a gave this a try, very nice!

Hoops - Big and Small

Light is Right

the weight penalty for the steel ring and cog plus longer bolts was 140 grams. The other alternative to go dingle (Melvin Tensioner plus bigger chainring would've been around 170 grams)...
    You could have gone Kick-A$$ on the 16t and saved some weight - I've got a 18t Surley but I'm pushing 200lbs, I think I would have worn out the aluminum pretty quick.

mtbr member
    You could have gone Kick-A$$ on the 16t and saved some weight - I've got a 18t Surley but I'm pushing 200lbs, I think I would have worn out the aluminum pretty quick.

Since it's a temporary dingle, I wanted to go cheap at first. But after riding it, I may keep it since it makes spinning to the Squaw Creek trailheads feasible now...

mtbr member
    For a bit of a wrap-up on the info

Who makes the 1/2 link option?

With the 1/2 link and ghetto ENO how much "adjustment" for chain growth does this give you?

The reason I ask this I was surprised at how much one link made at my fork ends. I needed to get out to the edge to make more room for my tire at the BB CS area, but it's hard to imagine it working on vertical drop-outs. It's great how you thought outside the box a gave this a try, very nice!
    I've been using the generic half link (for 1/8 chains).
    The ghetto gives about 2 or 3mm of adjustment based on how much you shave. I've seen some setups file all the way through the axle caps and use the qr axle as the axle but I'm not that brave. If the half link makes the drivetrain too tight, you can gain another 1/10ths of an inch by filing. Also, most vertical drops are canted forward so you can have another 2mm's of adjustment just by droping the axle a little bit on the drop out. Of course, it would be much easier to go with an Eno hub or horizontal drops but I like to recycle old bikes so no dedicated SS bikes are in the fleet. l Having said that, the sliding dropout system looks mighty cool (and flexible)...

Hoops - Big and Small

ménage à trois - two gears one rider

Since it's a temporary dingle, I wanted to go cheap at first. But after riding it, I may keep it since it makes spinning to the Squaw Creek trailheads feasible now...
    Tell me it's "temporary" after you get back from vacation!

The thing about a dingle is - usually there's already room for an extra cog/ring front and rear depending on parts used, so when running single unless your dedicated (screw on hub, single ring crank) your just not using your bike to it's full potential.

Members who have read this thread: 0