Terraces Trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: Terraces Trail

mtbr member
    May 2004

Terraces Trail

Hey,

my doctor, who told me he rides a Titus Racer X with a 5th element shock said he used to ride this trail which terminated somewhere in the East Boise area of homes near Tablerock? For anyone in the know can you tell more about it and why was closed?

He said was mostly singletrack descent.

EP, anyone. Discuss.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Hey,

my doctor, who told me he rides a Titus Racer X with a 5th element shock said he used to ride this trail which terminated somewhere in the East Boise area of homes near Tablerock? For anyone in the know can you tell more about it and why was closed?

EP, anyone. Discuss.
    RRB and I just checked out the entrance to it off of RC road and it's still signed No Trespassing. We looked for alternative entrances but all were signed further in. The exit is also signed no Trespassing as it ends on an exclusive gated community. It was a blast of a trail when it was open and would've even been more better now since you can get to RC Road without having to hit any pavement. Oh well...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Man, I miss that trail...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Hey,

EP, anyone. Discuss.
    '98,

Your digging up great memories! The Terraces was an amazingly fun trail, but was closed when the Wildhorse Ranch subdivision got established. We'd go up Rocky Canyon, hang a right at Aldape Summit and head towards the radio towers on the top of Lucky Peak. I believe the road was called Trail E. The actual trail started about halfway between Rocky Canyon and the top of Squaw Creek trail.

It ended where the gate to Wildhorse Ranch is now.

It was called the Terraces because it cut across the terraces cut into the hill after a fire many years ago. You can see the trail if you between the saddle at Aldape Summit and the radio towers. Some parts of Three Bears and other trails in the upper foothills remind me of the Terraces. There was also a really fun lava rock section.

It's probably been closed for somewhere between 5 and 10 years now. Last time a friend of mine poached it he got chased off of the hill by Bill Buckner, who lives up there.

I think the last time I rode it I had just installed one of those new-fangled suspension forks on my bike! I'd love to ride it on the 5-Spot!

HH

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I used to ride that trail back when I first started riding in Boise around 1996 - 1997. DH's directions are accurate - you'd ride up Rocky Canyon and hang a right onto a dirt road about a mile or so from Aldape summit. From there, you'd climb up to the "staircases" on Highland Valley Road (aka "trail E") and right after the staircases, you'd hang a right onto a loose, fairly steep singletrack. Terraces rode a lot like Devils Slide does now - some steep sections, some flatter sections, but definitely loose and washy. It would put you out on some homeowner's driveway, which you then would bomb down to the main road in the "subdivision," which itself was really fast. That road put you out on Table Rock Road, right where the pavement ends and the dirt starts. I ate sh!t near the bottom of the Terraces in 1998 and scraped up my arm, shoulder, and leg pretty good!

I know I've ridden it at least once since I moved to the Mesa and I remember being disappointed it wasn't still open. However, I talked to Homer Wise on Sunday night (the developer of the Mesa) and he was telling me that it is his understanding that the area below the old Terraces trail may eventually have some singletrack that connects to the Tablerock trails, via the back of the Mesa hill. So, perhaps, one day we will be able to connect from Rocky Canyon road to Tablerock via dirt.

jalepenio jimenez

Picket Pin Basalts

It was called the Terraces because it cut across the terraces cut into the hill after a fire many years ago. You can see the trail if you between the saddle at Aldape Summit and the radio towers. Some parts of Three Bears and other trails in the upper foothills remind me of the Terraces. There was also a really fun lava rock section.
    While attending BSU in the early '80's, I took a Field Geology class that discussed the Boise Front.

Warm Springs Creek, adjacent to and S.E. of Table Rock, and Picket Pin Creek to the north, were two of the areas of discussion. A couple miles up the drainages were the Picket Pen basalts, one of many basalt extrusions along the Boise front, and on up both Mores and Grimes Creeks and the Boise river.

Basalt flows are sort of anomalies in granitic areas, such as the Idaho batholith to our north and east, but for those along the fringes and associated with the Snake River downwarp where there are over 7,000 feet of basalt and outwashed river gravels in some areas of the valley.

Anyhow, because one of my classmates was to become my later riding partner, we rode that area in the mid to late '80's and used to call that particular trail the Picket Pin trail after the basalt flow.

I haven't been on the trail since the late eighties. Riding hardtails and rigid forks at the time, we bounced our way down through the basalt and swore we'd never do it again.

Now that I have an honest 6" of swag between my legs, I'd love to do it again, however.

From the sounds of this thread, it doesn't sound like it's still open to ride. Bummer.

jalepenio jimenez

Post script

As an after thought, I am in no way suggesting changing what now seems to be the accepted name for the 'Terraces' trail, nor am I implying that it ever had any official or common name prior to being referred to as the Terrace trail. It probably did, as it was ridden by the motorcycle crowd, and I assume they had their names for it as well as most of the other trails in the foothills that we now ride.

'Terraces' trail works for me. Too bad it now has no exit.

Just a little history dating back to a time before we had suspension between us and the ground.

jp

Members who have read this thread: 0