Tell me about toxic plants in Boise ID (poison oak/ivy/sumac) and others- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Tell me about toxic plants in Boise ID (poison oak/ivy/sumac) and others

I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains in northern California. We have an abundance of poison oak on all of our trails. I am really sensitive and get really bad cases of poison oak despite taking all the necessary precautions and washing thoroughly after getting off the trails.

I would like to get out to Boise, I guess after winter now, to check out the trails. Do you have a lot of Poison Oak? It sounds like your area has a bunch of other nasty stuff like Hemlock.

Tell me what you have and is it easy to spot and avoid? The Poison Oak on our trails aggressively seeks sunlight so it grows out into the trails and is, often, unavoidable.

since 4/10/2009
    just because you're extra sensitive to a Toxicodendron species (poison oak) that have urushiol doesn't mean you'll be extra sensitive to other plants with different skin irritants.

Nettles have a totally different irritant which doesn't really have the same sort of immune factor as urushiol. They're pretty much everywhere, but are locally abundant in low, damp, sunny places.

Poison hemlock is something else altogether. It's poisonous if ingested because it contains alkaloids. It's not going to cause a notable reaction simply due to skin contact. Water hemlock is similar, but toxicity is higher. Still shouldn't produce a notable skin reaction. Just don't eat it and you should be fine.

The other sorts of plants with potential contact reactions would be those that cause phytophotodermatitis. Most are mild. Giant hogweed isn't, however, but you don't have to worry about that one in that region (yet). https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/130...mantegazzianum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytophotodermatitis

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Giant Hogweed -- That was one I was wondering about as I guess it is another invasive species making its way. Good to hear it is not in Boise.

So, no Poison Oak/Ivy/Sumack in the hills around Boise? I wonder if the altitude is too high for it...I guess you don't see it above around 5,000ft. We did not have it when I lived in Prescott AZ (high desert at 5,000ft).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spec306 View Post
    I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains in northern California. We have an abundance of poison oak on all of our trails. I am really sensitive and get really bad cases of poison oak despite taking all the necessary precautions and washing thoroughly after getting off the trails.

I would like to get out to Boise, I guess after winter now, to check out the trails. Do you have a lot of Poison Oak? It sounds like your area has a bunch of other nasty stuff like Hemlock.

Tell me what you have and is it easy to spot and avoid? The Poison Oak on our trails aggressively seeks sunlight so it grows out into the trails and is, often, unavoidable.
    I live in both places. There is poison oak in Boise (typically around creeks like on Hull's Gulch or Bob's Trail) but not to the extent that you will find in Santa Cruz (think Zane Grey at Wilder). However, since most of the trails around Boise are high desert kind of rails, you won't see poison oak in the majority of the popular trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Never ran into anything poisonous, just be on the lookout for Goatheads, If you're not running tubeless you're almost guaranteed a flat or two.

mtbr member
    I've seen plenty of poison ivy up in the Frank Church, usually growing close to water. So, it does exist in this state and at higher altitudes.

One thing I've stumbled across is my allergy med combo (two different OTC antihistamines) seems to be a strong protection against nettles. I landed in a patch near Jackson Hole back in the spring, and didn't suffer any more than a couple of minutes of itching. Their sting is a histamine reaction, according to the internet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmatluk View Post
    Never ran into anything poisonous, just be on the lookout for Goatheads, If you're not running tubeless you're almost guaranteed a flat or two.
    Man I hate those things. I had one poke up through a heavy tarp, through the bottom of my tent, then right into my knee when I knelt down when I was in Castle Rock, CO. Dang, those things hurt. I do run tubeless. Are there a lot of GHs on the trails or are they mostly off to the sides?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wouldn't worry too much. The poison ivy here tends to bunch around water sources, so like flip said, in places like Rocky Canyon where there's a mostly constant stream. If you have a dog with you, that's could be a concern. I do know a few folks who've had their pooch run into the brush and bring it back on the fur. Otherwise, pretty sparce.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Iíve seen a fair amount of poison ivy in the Boise front. It varies year to year. Sometimes more sometimes less. On one of the highest volume trails in ridge to rivers, Hulls gulch, there can be a couple big patches every 3 or 4 years. Itís pretty happy to grow away from the creeks once you get above the tree line.

Personally I havenít seen poison oak. Or other species in the ridge to rivers.

I feel like Itís pretty rare to have the plants close enough to make contact if you stay on trail.

I wouldnít be surprised if the city/ridge to rivers folks have some mitigation efforts. Those people are the greatest!