Targhee - Grand Enduro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Targhee - Grand Enduro

So we are heading to the Jackson area Aug 24th - 27th. We wanted to hit Targhee 1 day and were planning for Sunday the 26th. I just noticed they are hosting the Grand Enduro the 25th/26th. Any guesses how much will be closed off to the general public? Should we just avoid it all together and plan something else that day (JHMR)? Sat & Sun are our only full days that would be worth hitting the park. Fri & Mon we'll have to drive and can only do shorter rides.

From what I see on the map there's approx. 15 miles of of DH trail there. The rest is labeled XC, but I don't know if folks ride those from the lifts as well....
    Targhee - Grand Enduro-gtr_bike_park_18.jpg

beater
    Itís still worth riding. The race will close certain trails for discrete periods each day, but with the goal of minimizing impact to normal park operations.

The XC trails arenít ridden from the lifts. You can get to some of them from the lifts, but generally you ride out from the base.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Evasive knows better than anyone here. You can also wait until they release the course and decide then. Should be around noon that Thursday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

beater
    Thursday before the race is our traditional schedule. But we may release the courses for the two Teton races earlier. Our intent this year was to announce bike park courses 1-2 weeks in advance to increase visitation for our host partners. We havenít done that yet because the Whitefish course came together late, and Big Skyís is always a wild and rough mix of lines that may not be actual trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Itís still worth riding. The race will close certain trails for discrete periods each day, but with the goal of minimizing impact to normal park operations.
    Thanks evasive,

I only ask because we had a Scott Enduro at our resort this weekend and they had a weather delay and then closed it to all non-competitors for the day to try and catch up, but our park only has 3 trails and they were all being used for stages, so a bit different situation.

I laughed when I saw "Grand Enduro"... as we have a Grand Enduro here as well (Grand Junction).
    Grand Enduro

beater
    Here we (they) have a Grand Teton. It looms over Fredís Mountain at the top of Targhee.

Targheeís bike park essentially falls into two zones- riderís right and riderís left of the main quad lift. Each dayís course is generally limited to one side or the other, leaving the other side open.

beater
    The course is posted on Trailforks now, so you can plan your visit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks, Targhee is great riding.
    How bad is the fire smoke over there?

beater
    It's been variable, but mostly aloft from distant fires. It was bad this morning, but rain has been blowing through later in the day.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, we had a good time.

Was surprised how dry/dusty a few of the trails were considering it was raining in Wilson the morning we went over. Might have been due to the racers just finishing up on them or racing them the day before. Blondie in particualr but also Sticks and Stones was pretty beat up, but we rode sticks & stones right after they opened it.

Someone should have warned me to dress warmer.... a little cold those first few trips up the lift in the am. Had a good time though and Targhee was the best views we had of the Tetons due to smoke on the Jackson side.