Taming Borah Peak- Mtbr.com
    mortman
    Aug 2006

Taming Borah Peak

I just hiked Borah Peak two weekends ago with a couple friends. We got all the way to the top and back, safely, for the most part, minus a deep bruise on mee bum.

The whole way up to "Chicken Out Ridge", I could not help thinking that the trail below "Chicken Out Ridge" would be an awsome place to be dropped off on the mountain by helicopter, only to come bombing down on a bike.

The hike was nice, but the only thing motivating me up the trail was to see the next obstacle I would find to ride over.

I thought the trail below "Chicken Out" was mostly very rideable in the downhill direction. Above "Chicken Out" all I could think about was getting to the top. On "Chicken Out" all I could think about was not Chickening Out.

Anyone ever biked any part of this trail, by helicopter, or not?
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

mtbr member

hiked yes biked no

I did do the climb a few years ago. The hardest 7 mile hike I have ever done. I would like to ride below chicken out, but would not be excited about riding up to it
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtnjam
    Probably wouldn't be the best idea. As much foot traffic as that peak gets a bombing downhill wouldn't be looked too kindly upon.
    Now as for skiing from the summit of Borah, that's a different story. The Lost River Range doesn't need helicopters for recreation. All those peaks can be easily climbed in both summer and winter

mtbr member
    Creating a big skid mark down the face of the mountain sounds like a bad idea.to me.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

JAK
    mtbr member

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    Probably wouldn't be the best idea. As much foot traffic as that peak gets a bombing downhill wouldn't be looked too kindly upon.
    Now as for skiing from the summit of Borah, that's a different story. The Lost River Range doesn't need helicopters for recreation. All those peaks can be easily climbed in both summer and winter
    I agree with the above. Plus, you don't 'tame' the mountains Mortman, they shape you. You must not be from around here with your yuppie/helio talk. I would hope one would step up to the challenge rather than attempt to bring it DOWN to your level via technology.
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mortman
    Aug 2006

Wow......

I did not tame the mountain........reference me bum.

I was misunderstood. I am from round these parts. I only mentioned the part about a Helen Chenoweth H-E-E-L-I-O-C-O-P-T-E-R because I do not have the monster SACK required to climb that trail on any bike, let alone my BIG BIKE.

If I ever bike down Borah it will be all fair and square. I promise I will pack and drag my bike up, and I will not leave any skid marks worse than all the short cuts from lazy people on the way down.

Or, if the big problem is copters, just put in a chair lift and lets get on with the fun.
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

Cheesiest
    Or, if the big problem is copters, just put in a chair lift and lets get on with the fun.
    They're both a problem, but 'copters are better in my mind. It results in a less permanent development.

mtbr member
    I swore I would never hike down that mountain again. If I ever go up again I'll ski down. I think it would be too steep to be fun riding.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

JAK
    mtbr member

say there Morty...

Quote Originally Posted by mortman
    I did not tame the mountain........reference me bum.

I was misunderstood. I am from round these parts. I only mentioned the part about a Helen Chenoweth H-E-E-L-I-O-C-O-P-T-E-R because I do not have the monster SACK required to climb that trail on any bike, let alone my BIG BIKE.

If I ever bike down Borah it will be all fair and square. I promise I will pack and drag my bike up, and I will not leave any skid marks worse than all the short cuts from lazy people on the way down.

My main reference was to 'taming' and relating it to the rest of your post. I find it weird how people of today want 'things' quick and now. What ever happened to bringing oneself UP to a challenge as opposed to bringing it down. Get gnarly with yourself(tongue in cheek) So what if you are too weak to hike or ride your bike up a trail...that is what an endeavor is alll about...working on oneself to meet the demands of something meaningful. We humans are quite adaptable to many 'difficulties' when we work on it!

Enough with the waxing crap...dig it!
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

Members who have read this thread: 0