Taking the gravvel bike to Mccall in a week- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Taking the gravel bike to Mccall in a week

Hey guys, going on a family vaca up to Mccall starting next weekend, and I am bringing my gravel bike. Any recommended road/gravel/light mtb rides? I have only been to Mccall once for a trip to Brundage on my MTB, and lift assisted riding isn't my thing, so I am looking for scenery and whatnot this time.

Thanks!
    Last edited by garcia; 09-13-2018 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member
    The loop around Payette lake and through Ponderosa Park is a good intro to the area. Other popular gravel rides are Lick Creek Rd up to summit, Red Ridge, or the long gravel road beyond Brundage. Speaking of Brundage, climbing up Brundage lookout road from McCall has great views. So many dirt and logging roads... What do you prefer to ride? Long, valley roads? Steeper, mountain roads? Salmon river road in Riggins? Have you looked into doing some parts of the Idaho Hot Springs tour? Burgdorf area is beautiful and has the hot springs too. The Warm Lake area is a drive, but has nice remote logging roads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar View Post
    The loop around Payette lake and through Ponderosa Park is a good intro to the area. Other popular gravel rides are Lick Creek Rd up to summit, Red Ridge, or the long gravel road beyond Brundage. Speaking of Brundage, climbing up Brundage lookout road from McCall has great views. So many dirt and logging roads... What do you prefer to ride? Long, valley roads? Steeper, mountain roads? Salmon river road in Riggins? Have you looked into doing some parts of the Idaho Hot Springs tour? Burgdorf area is beautiful and has the hot springs too. The Warm Lake area is a drive, but has nice remote logging roads.
    I like climbing... that is my best description of my preferences, as I am pretty new to gravel, so I can't say fore sure. I won't have a ton of time, but I am shooting for 3 rides if possible, 2-3 hours each. I'll look at what you mentioned and see if they work, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My Favorite is Paddy Flat Road back towards Kennally Creek, then on to Gold Fork hot springs. Meet the fam there. I ride the loop from Donnelly and it's about 50 miles.

Remote with good gravel and good scenery!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orfa View Post
    My Favorite is Paddy Flat Road back towards Kennally Creek, then on to Gold Fork hot springs. Meet the fam there. I ride the loop from Donnelly and it's about 50 miles.

Remote with good gravel and good scenery!
    I was just out there last weekend looking at that area. Have you ever popped onto the Fool hen trail and headed over to the Pins? Its singletrack trail, so you'd have to be on a bike that can go both ways. I like the decomposed granite roads on this side of the valley.

To the OP- I'd start with a loop around the lake and through Ponderosa, then climb up the backside of Brundage for some views. Third ride somewhere around Gold Fork is a good option.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar View Post
    I was just out there last weekend looking at that area. Have you ever popped onto the Fool hen trail and headed over to the Pins? Its singletrack trail, so you'd have to be on a bike that can go both ways. I like the decomposed granite roads on this side of the valley.

To the OP- I'd start with a loop around the lake and through Ponderosa, then climb up the backside of Brundage for some views. Third ride somewhere around Gold Fork is a good option.
    Appreciate the info. What would the ride up the back of Brundage consist of? I am not very familiar with the area, so I don't even know what the "back" of it is. Any forest route names or MTBproject links you happen to know of? We are staying on the northwest side of McCall, so that should be relatively close and easy to do!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bear Basin Rd (NF 451). Just stay on it and ride north. You'll eventually top out at Brundage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions all! I ended up doing bear basin road up to brundage, and went counter clockwise around the lake till the road shut down for construction, right around eastside and warren wagon connecting. Both were gorgeous rides!

Bear basin was great going up, but man that was brutal on a gravel bike with 42c tires... I don't think I would have enjoyed it on an MTB either, I had downhill.

Next trip up there I plan to take either (or both) lick creek out for 20 or so miles and head back, and warren wagon past the eastside junction. Man it was gorgeous out there!