Sunset Lookout -> Hungarian Ridge -> Crooked River?- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

New question here. Sunset Lookout -> Hungarian Ridge -> Crooked River?

Looking on the map it looks doable. Ride up to the Sunset Lookout and then take this Hungarian Ridge trail and then take the Crooked River trail back to 21 and then climb back up to Mores Creek Summit.

But in Steve's old book from '92, he mentioned that the Hungarian Ridge trail had fallen into disrepair and that the Boise National Forest had hoped to repair it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated on mileage, elevation gain/loss, trail difficulty, etc.

Mahalo!

Nick
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

jalepenio jimenez

Crooked River trail

isn't bike friendly, although there is a road just down the highway from Camp E-da-how that would bring you back to Highway 21. Or you could ride back up to Rabbit creek summit and down Granite creek into Idaho City.

Another suggestion: outside of Idaho city one mile is the turnoff to Thorn Creek Butte. Park after you cross Mores Creek and go left up Bannock Creek (abandoned road.) Eventually you will get up to 6120 feet and if you have good maps you can come down either the divide between Bannock creek and Granite creek or go higher to 6565 and out a spur road and onto another trail that comes down the ridge between Bannock creek and Pine creek. Both are motorcycle trails and great downhill. Great place to explore.

Again, LOL.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

Wandervans

crooked river

Nic, I rode the crooked river about two years ago to scout out the loop you are talking about. We rode down the crooked river until the trail ended and then hiked up to an old logging road to make a loop out of it. With some hike a biking you could make the loop work although I would suggest for the first time going down hungarian and then taking the old logging roads back up and do a partial shuttle. I would be game for trying it some weekend.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Hi!!!
    I had this question posted on Idaho Outdoors as well and got this response over the weekend....

Nick and others,
    I worked on Sunset Lookout which is the starting point for the
    Hungarian Ridge trail. It was "improved" after the fires in 1996 or
    so but it was improved in conjunction with a dirt bike group and Parks
    and Rec. Long history I could provide but the essence is that it is a
    dirt bike delight: straight down slick decomposing granite, dusty
    trenches from the tires. It probably drops 2000 feet to Barber Park,
    18 miles. I have only hiked it, a couple years ago I saw two mountain
    bikers take off with only water bottles, they may still be down in the
    German Creek drainage, otherwise it is very popular with dirt bike
    riders. The short and long, I wouldn't advise it except for advanced
    riders.

Hoops - Big and Small

Crooked River is way cool!

Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Nic, I rode the crooked river about two years ago to scout out the loop you are talking about. We rode down the crooked river until the trail ended and then hiked up to an old logging road to make a loop out of it. With some hike a biking you could make the loop work although I would suggest for the first time going down hungarian and then taking the old logging roads back up and do a partial shuttle. I would be game for trying it some weekend.
    Here's the linky from the ride post

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=104504

Nick - you should at least do the out and back. Do it when the weather warms and the river is receding. The problem with this area it doesn't get much trail maintenance.

Calling the Ranger District contact would be a good idea - Even if you don't bike it, it would make a great day hike.
    Last edited by Crash_Burn; 05-22-2007 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    hungarian ridge appears to be clear of snow now, and there were motorcycle tracks at the bottom last weekend. sometime in late june i'll be doing it on the motorcycle, scouting out a route for 2day ride from baumgartner to idaho city and back. i have heard it's not an easy ride on a motorcycle going up from the river, and that's from other Expert enduro racers, so that normally means it's steep enough that it might not be fun for me on a push bike.

in response to the 'dirt bike delight' quote from belayslave, most of us that also ride downhill bikes with motors prefer twistier more sustainablee routes over the straight down stuff. alot of the reroutes of fall-line trails into twisty more gradual fun trails is being done by dirt bike clubs like TVTMA.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Members who have read this thread: 0