Sun Valley trip in June!! Questions?- Mtbr.com
    a dad
    Jan 2004

Sun Valley trip in June!! Questions?

i plan on make a trip to sun valley and vicinity this summer for about a week of riding...what i could use help with is a nice place to set up camp...any thoughts...can be rustic, but hopefully not too far from town and riding...also how hot does it get in June??
    thanks...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Everything you need

There are plenty of Forest Service campgrounds availble from Sun Valley up north to Stanley and further up to Challis and west towards Grand Jean. See Sawtooth National Forest Most of them are within 30 minutes drive to tourist amenities (beer) and some you can start your ride from your tent. Camp spots are challenging but not impossible to find on weekends especially near Stanley.

Climate is June is not too different fromGunnison in June. Chilly nights, cool crisp mornings (best ride time), the sun gets cranking around mid to late day. Usually daytime highs are in the 80's but it can get hotter. Occasional afternoon thunderstorms.

Plan to ride the classics (eg Fisher Creek) on mid week, otherwise there will be crowds. Also consider some of the rides north of McCall - usually not so busy there (but still there is traffic on weekends).

If you swing by Boise on your trip I can give a fellow WSC alum a tour of the local circuits.
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 02-11-2005 at 10:46 AM.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Wandervans

There is some nice camping..

Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    i plan on make a trip to sun valley and vicinity this summer for about a week of riding...what i could use help with is a nice place to set up camp...any thoughts...can be rustic, but hopefully not too far from town and riding...also how hot does it get in June??
    thanks...
    off of deer creek rd just north of Hailey. It is all primitive camping but most spots are big enought for an RV and there are port-a-potties scattered along the road. Once you get by the ranch there is 15 or so spots and all have great trail access and the area is pretty quite. Mars Ridge and deer creek are must do rides and you can connect over to greenhorn and imperial too to make some big rides.

pick up the sun valley map at sun summitt south in hailey and you will be set.

You can also go farther north and camp off of 4th of july rd and deer flat. They go ride in the whiteclouds or sawtooths. Plus other areas of the smokies or pioneers are fun too.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Hi!!!
    Do you have this book yet?:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

The campground that I LOVE up there, but by no means rustic, is the Wood River campground which is several miles north of the Sawtooth National Recreation Area HQ just north of Ketchum on highway 75. The campground directly across from the HQ is North Fork I believe and Wood River is just up the road. Why do I love it? A REAL RESTROOM!!! Yup...seperate mens and womens restrooms with a flushing toilet and running water. Gotta love it!! I think it's only $7/night. Or it might be $10? The problem you may encounter though is that if you arrive late on a Friday night...the campgrounds along highway 75 are pretty packed. It's only about a 10 min. drive from Ketchum.

Good luck with your planning!!!

King of the Barneys

Wink About that campground...

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Do you have this book yet?:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

The campground that I LOVE up there, but by no means rustic, is the Wood River campground which is several miles north of the Sawtooth National Recreation Area HQ just north of Ketchum on highway 75. The campground directly across from the HQ is North Fork I believe and Wood River is just up the road. Why do I love it? A REAL RESTROOM!!! Yup...seperate mens and womens restrooms with a flushing toilet and running water. Gotta love it!! I think it's only $7/night. Or it might be $10? The problem you may encounter though is that if you arrive late on a Friday night...the campgrounds along highway 75 are pretty packed. It's only about a 10 min. drive from Ketchum.

Good luck with your planning!!!

I reserved a couple spots in it for our annual AMB-ID ride this August, sight unseen, so it's good to hear you like the spot. It sounds like the one they call Easley campground about 10 miles north of SV on the Wood River. Any more you can tell about it? Is the river deep enough to get underwater for a bath? I chose it for being close to SV, but not too far from Fisher/Williams, etal to the north, too.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Hi!!!
    I've ridden through the Easly campground on the Harriman Trail. However I've never been up to where they have the hot springs and showers up that road so I obviously can't comment on that part. From what I can tell between Wood River, North Fork, and Easly...Wood River is by far has the most tree coverage than the other two.

Here are some pics from my campsite:

https://www.fototime.com/1D9F746451345A8/standard.jpg

https://www.fototime.com/E2D02F4581B0EC7/standard.jpg

Not sure about the depth of the river that is in front of the campground, but north of the campground (couple min. walk) you can dunk yourself here:

https://www.fototime.com/99EBB148BB070BB/standard.jpg

The entire campground is paved. I do think there are several outhouses scattered around the ends of the campground, but they only have one "real" restroom for both men and women.

Have fun CBro!!!! I'm hoping to spend at least 4 good weekends up in that area this summer if not more.

Oh...and my campsite was near the big group picnic area, however for the weekend I was there...there was no one using it. And there is an amphiteater somewhere in the back of the campground, but I never went to see it.

RHRF!

I'm also thinking about a Sun Valley trip this summer...

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I've ridden through the Easly campground on the Harriman Trail. However I've never been up to where they have the hot springs and showers up that road so I obviously can't comment on that part. From what I can tell between Wood River, North Fork, and Easly...Wood River is by far has the most tree coverage than the other two.

Here are some pics from my campsite:

https://www.fototime.com/1D9F746451345A8/standard.jpg

https://www.fototime.com/E2D02F4581B0EC7/standard.jpg

Not sure about the depth of the river that is in front of the campground, but north of the campground (couple min. walk) you can dunk yourself here:

https://www.fototime.com/99EBB148BB070BB/standard.jpg

The entire campground is paved. I do think there are several outhouses scattered around the ends of the campground, but they only have one "real" restroom for both men and women.

Have fun CBro!!!! I'm hoping to spend at least 4 good weekends up in that area this summer if not more.

Oh...and my campsite was near the big group picnic area, however for the weekend I was there...there was no one using it. And there is an amphiteater somewhere in the back of the campground, but I never went to see it.

Your campsite looks excellent! Are there any electrical hookups? How about a dumping station? I've got a 36 ft RV and it would be nice to have a little power and a place to dump the 'crud'. Also, are there any showers at the restrooms?

Thanks.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro
    Are there any electrical hookups? How about a dumping station? I've got a 36 ft RV and it would be nice to have a little power and a place to dump the 'crud'. Also, are there any showers at the restrooms?
    No electrical hookups. No dump station. And no showers at the restroom.

I'm looking at my "Camping Idaho" book published by Falcon Guides and from what I can tell...there are no hookups or dump stations at campgrounds within the Ketchum/Sun Valley vicinity. I am not sure if there are any private RV campgrounds in the area...maybe someone else more knowledgeable in that area can help you there.

Going further north on highway 75 towards Stanley and getting into the Sawtooths on the left side and White Clouds on the right....again going through my book I see no campgrounds with electrical hookups or dump stations.

You may want to call the following numbers for further confirmation....

Sawtooth National Recreation Area Visitor Center: 208-727-5000
    Stanley Ranger Station: 208-774-3000

Your best bet for showers is to head north from the SNRA Visitor Center to the Easly Campground turnoff on your left and drive up that road into the hot springs thingy. I've never showered there, but a friend I camped with last summer drove up there from our campsite and used their showers...it's only a couple of $, but she said it smelled strongly of sulfur or whatever it is that makes hot springs stink like a hot spring. Another option if you are near Stanley is to use the showers at Redfish Lake...I think these only cost a couple of $ too.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Nick