Sun Valley trail conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Sun Valley trail conditions?

Possibly headed to Sun Valley tomorrow. Anyone know if Fisher Creek and Little Basin (I think its also called Potato Mountain?) are ridable yet?
    Thanks

mtbr member

check here

http://www.bwbt.org/

most of the sun valley trails are open except those closed in the burn area. Fisher Creek is open but looks like the downed trees haven't been cut out yet. That would seriously kill the flow on that trail.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Just got back from Ketchum/SV yesterday. Saw very little burn damage in the Adams, Fox, and Chocolate drainages, as well as the connector from Chocolate to Oregon. From your message, however, it sounds like you want intel on Stanley trails. A buddy was up there last week and said Fisher was very rideable.

mtbr member
    So, did the fire take Cold Springs Trail and Warm Springs Trail or Greenhorn?
    New Obama Creed: Change you can believe in TO Change what you believe in

mtbr member
    expect burns in most SV trails West of Hwy 75.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radbkr
    So, did the fire take Cold Springs Trail and Warm Springs Trail or Greenhorn?
    as far as i know, the only trail closed due to the fire is red warrior, though it's open to hikers.

the fire scorched lodgepole and the upper part of mahoney. mahoney is still open. the fire didn't touch the rest of the greenhorn trails.

i haven't ridden cold or warm spring trails yet, but my guess is that only the upper parts of the trails may have been hit by the fire.

adams gulch and fox creek have burn spots here and there, but the trails are in good shape. chocolate gulch and oregon gulch show no signs of fire damage.

i don't think the fire touched the deer creek area trails either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Sun Valley Fire Trails

The Sun Valley trails burned by the fires make for some unique riding terrain. The trail from the Baker Lake dirt road down into Adams Gulch (20 miles) is pretty darn special. The forest service or someone has cleared all the trails from fallen burned trees so it is buffed! All the trails are fun and the beers at Grumpy's are still $3.50 for 32oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    How is riding at the resort? Are there good FR/DH type trails there?

King of the Barneys
    I just got an email from a fellow Barney who's up there for 6 days. He says the trails are awesome. Should only get better from here on out.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I will be going to Sun Valley end of July for a few days and wondering where is a good place to camp with showers for after a long dirty ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Camping

Just get a king bed at the Lodge in Sun Valley. It really is worth it!

mtbr member
    There are no DH of FR type trails on the resort. There is a perimeter trail the is about quite long around the back of the mountain that has a very constant and not very steep grade and the trail is very smooth, you will also find many hikers and uphill riders along the trail. For the most part there is very little in terms of technical riding in the this area. But there are lots of really good climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    $$$$$??????? Ok, what am I looking at?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

$150+

Generally, staying at the Sun Valley Resort will cost you $150-300 a night this time of year...which is busy. One other idea that works well for bike riders is to stay in one of the close in campgrounds (10-20 miles). I like the campgrounds heading up towards Baker Lake (14 miles north of town). What you do is Trail 22 (20 miles; 3000 ft. easy climbing)from that campground down Adams Gulch or a couple other variations in to Ketchum (3-5 hours). Have some lunch and then head to the Sun Valley Resort and hit the big Olympic Pool by the tennis courts. Free showers; towels; soap; the works and last time I was there (2 weeks ago) about 30 hot euro babes in bikinis. They are part of the ice show crew and live on-site. To get to the pool just say you are staying in the View Cottage...or room 212 in the Inn. They just let you walk right in. Shag some swimming; hot soak and then head to Grumpy's for $3.50 32oz beers. Now it gets tough on how to get back to your campsite 14 miles away or an hour ride on pavement.

About 4 miles east of the resort is several nice little unimproved tent site areas that would be great also. You'll do fine...but do use the resort for a day.

Members who have read this thread: 0