Sun Valley Resort- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Sun Valley Resort

Hi folks, we live in CA and some of my boys want to explore this resort. So we are trying to get some inputs from the forums. None of us have a FS; so hows the terrain there? Can HT make it? Any suggestions? We will be driving from Ca to ID. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
    Hi folks, we live in CA and some of my boys want to explore this resort. So we are trying to get some inputs from the forums. None of us have a FS; so hows the terrain there? Can HT make it? Any suggestions? We will be driving from Ca to ID. Thanks.
    A hard tail is plenty adequate in my experience. Lots of smooth single track.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    HTwill suffice for most trails in the area unless you go really high or deep into the backcountry. Plenty of rental places with fs if you want. I think Formula Sports has the best prices for 4 hour rentals and they have Trek bikes. Sturtos, Elephants Perch and the resort also do rentals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    awesome thanks

mtbr member
    Been riding up there since the mid 1980's all we had then were rigid 26'ers. Couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces. Now I do the same trails on a FS 29'er - still have a silly grin when I get done. Ride what you have and enjoy it.
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    What trails do you recommend for an out of shape dirt biker riding a FS 29er? I typically ride Bob's/Urban Connection/Highlands in Boise, but walk on the steeper climbs. Here this weekend.

mtbr member
    Out of shape? Corral Cr - ride up the road and back down the trail, White Clouds - all pretty easy and plenty of places to drop off if you get tired, Adams Gulch - stay in the lower stuff - Sunny Side, Shady Side, Lanes, etc. If those aren't enough Fox Cr is a step up and pretty fun. The top of Adams is awesome but gnarly with long steep climbs. If you can handle it, the downhills are worth it. A burger and cold one a Grumpies always taste better after a good ride!
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Out of shape? Corral Cr - ride up the road and back down the trail, White Clouds - all pretty easy and plenty of places to drop off if you get tired, Adams Gulch - stay in the lower stuff - Sunny Side, Shady Side, Lanes, etc. If those aren't enough Fox Cr is a step up and pretty fun. The top of Adams is awesome but gnarly with long steep climbs. If you can handle it, the downhills are worth it. A burger and cold one a Grumpies always taste better after a good ride!
    Awesome, thanks! A Lady at the outdoor shop also recommended Forbidden Fruit. I just went from a HT to a FS so I'm eager to push it a little. I'll walk if I have to.

mtbr member
    Trails on the South side of Galena Lodge (Senate Loop, Pioneer Cemetery Loop, Galena View Loop) are pretty easy and a lot of fun. Mostly in the trees and shade. If that's too easy then ride North of the Lodge. Big race this weekend if your really feeling it - Galena Grinder.
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Ended up checking out Forbidden Fruit, Corral's Creek and The Sunrise Loop with the connectors. Nothing fancy but I had my wife with me who is just starting to get into MTBing and has a hardtail that's too small for her with vbrakes.

mtbr member
    Will be in town with my wife for the day over the weekend and thinking of doing the cold springs / warm springs loop. Seems like I want to climb cloud springs and down warm springs, is that the best way to go about this loop, starting at river run and going clockwise?

seems like I'm looking at about 5k ft of climbing, does that seem accurate?

So their map shows that you cannot ride top to bottom on bald mtn trail, is that correct? If you want to get down through the middle of the mountain do you have to take the gondola down? That's a shame...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yup, climb Cold Springs. You'll get more like 3,800 feet of climbing if you climb Broadway and come down Warm Springs. And yes, no downhill on Bald Mtn. Trail, but they are currently building trails down from the roundhouse to the River Run base. You can also link service roads from Warm Springs and do trails down to River Run. You can also do an out and back on Warm Springs, which I prefer as it has more shade, especially in the morning. The top half of Cold Springs gets full sun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Autoclave_Armadillo View Post
    Yup, climb Cold Springs. You'll get more like 3,800 feet of climbing if you climb Broadway and come down Warm Springs. And yes, no downhill on Bald Mtn. Trail, but they are currently building trails down from the roundhouse to the River Run base. You can also link service roads from Warm Springs and do trails down to River Run. You can also do an out and back on Warm Springs, which I prefer as it has more shade, especially in the morning. The top half of Cold Springs gets full sun.
    tks for the tips!