Sun Valley Disappointment- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Sun Valley Disappointment

So for all you sun valley regulars out there just where is all this hardpack buff singletrack you always here about? I was out there for four days this weekend and found about a 1/4 mile of it...everything else was dust and rutted out corners, a huge disappointment. I think you SV locals need to come to park city and see what real singletrack looks like.

We rode fisher creek which was so dusty on the top portion you couldnt open it up at all. Then potato mountain which was probably the least dusty trail of the week so cant really complain, except for the 15 creek crossings and lack of signage but a good ride overall.

However we finished the week with the Greenhorn gulch, lodgepole, and imperial trail and they were pretty much the worst trails I have ever been on. For having the reputation sun valley does those trails sure did suck. They might have been more fun if every corner and straightway wasnt so damn loose from the motorcycles that your front wheel is washing out all over the trail. Fox creek for the most part wasnt to dusty though.

So yeah where the hell is all this prime single track you all speak of? would have been much easier to stay in utah and ride our trails that are ten times better.

Wandervans
    Sweet, Stay home next time then.

Anyone from Park City can't complain about signage since the signage is so bad in Park City.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    What about some cheese with that whine...

Riding on loose stuff is just a fact of life up here. It also didn't help that the trails you rode on (except for Potato Mountain) has seen lots of burns the past couple of years AND are the most popular tourist trails so it gets the most torn up and the fires were so intense last year that even the ground burned (which is what gives it that pumice like quality).

I've ridden PC before and it is nice but 10X as nice? I guess if you like trails that end up in someone's backyard every couple of miles...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Yes, stay home next time.

And, if you would be so kind, please repeat this post on the Travel and Passion boards. More rider-free singletrack for us ignorant-as-to-good-trails local yokels.

Gracias.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    fact is all you hear out of sunvalley is how nice and buff the singletrack is. I rode the trails that most of the bike shop/guides recommended and they were some of the dustiest trails I have ever ridden on.

Just saying if you guys are going to keep on claiming to have the best singletrack around maybe try to build some trails that arent a powder field. Id rather ride through someones back yard then 5 inches of dust.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    oh and had I known how poor of condition your guys trails were in I would have stayed home. No reason to drive 5 hours to ride in 5 inches of dust.

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyPoint
    oh and had I known how poor of condition your guys trails were in I would have stayed home. No reason to drive 5 hours to ride in 5 inches of dust.
    You always have to bear in mind recent burns and not just blindly follow the guidebooks.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ya, i rode Fisher Creek last Sunday as well. You are right, there was a little dust, but who the hell cares, the wildflowers and scenery made up for that tiny little bit of extra dust. Maybe i am wrong, but mountain biking is usually done on dirt and there is usually dust kicked up unless the dirt is wet, then we shouldn't be riding on it cause it may tear up the trails. So, my advice to you is to stay home and ride your roadbike.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I went to Park City once and was really disappointed at what a bunch of snobby @ssholes the locals were. I decided to stay home after that. The bad people can't get me if I stay locked in my room with a bottle of Jack and my shotgun.

Rocks Rock

Utards

If you go to the Utha Mountain Biking site you will find the same level of rudness there. People berate others and make spelling corections... stupid crap like that, non stop. No one there has ever thought to use PM. Salt Lake City/New York City
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    complaining about dust in SV is like going to Moab and wondering what's up with all the damn rocks?

oops...
    Back under the bridge, troll...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I didnt blindly follow the guide books. I talked with several shops, looked around online, and talked to the local friends. Where else was I supposed to get information on trails being from out of town??? right good point.

And how is complaining like SV dust like complaining about moabs rocks? Moab is advertised as being rocky fun technical trails. Sorry but all the guide books and reviews of SV do not rave about how dusty the SV trails are. Which they are... I just dont understand how sun valley gets all the good reviews/word of mouth for the quality of their singletrack when its mostly dusty as hell. Dust I can deal with, but 4 inches of dusty dry powder around each corner is different all together.

I agree park city has snobs, but come on SV is just as much of a resort town so Im sure you guys have your fair share of snobs too. Basically im just disappointed you all advertise yourself as the singletrack capital when fruita blows you guys out of the water.

Yes the scenery, town, layout of the trails was great....but come on if they are so dusty you have to constantly worry about washing out how good can the trails be?

oops...
    Have to concede the point on snobbery -- every time I walk into a shop in SV, they lock the register and keep one hand near the phone...

mtbr member
    What are the good SV trails? Anyone have a list? We are planning a trip soon, too.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Actually, I've never been to Park City. Just wanted to have a reason to talk about my bottle of Jack and my growing collection of firearms.

That said, I think a lot of uppity western resort towns have the same rep for "locals" (who are, ironically, usually college kids from California or the east coast) being less than friendly to visitors. That said, I've always had good chats with the bike shop monkeys in Ketchum. And, it's always fun to people watch the desperate housewives and sporty dudes at Java.

Mmmm...Jack, gunpowder, caffeine, desperate housewives, and bikes. I like where this thread is going.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Not too salty?

I can see why you were so disappointed. I can only imagine your surprise of going to Sun Valley a year after it burned in the middle of the summer and finding out the trails are actually dusty and rutted. It’s got to be just like going to Moab and finding out Poison Spider is actually sandy!

At the end of the day while you were enjoying that post ride beer and nonchalantly probed your nostril for that big black slim ball that stuck to the end of your finger – that was from us. Hope you enjoyed Idaho’s present to you. Hope it wasn’t too salty. I know it was of little consolation after riding our horrible trails but I hope it was enough to show you our gratitude for you putting extra pressure on our once quiet trails and making them wider and dusty.

Please let us know next time you come to Idaho and we will all make sure and water down the dust and carry you across the stream crossings. After all, “real” mountain biking should be just like road biking and you should never have to get your feet wet.

This tear is for you!
    Last edited by Visicypher; 07-22-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You ever heard of rain?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtnjam
    If I were you I'd just stick with the ever so tacky trails in the Wasatch, clearly they never get dusty, rutted or loose.
    Have it yer way dude, why with all yer one way certain day of the week trails it's clear that Mill Creek and the Cottonwood Canyons are certainly better riding and tell yer friendz on the internetz that teh Sun Valley trails are the suckage
    Not a good way to increase your post count (with only 26) by complaining

Barneys Unite!

Lol!

You're a mean, mean man

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Guys, ill be in PC and SV starting 9th Aug through to the 30th for annual trip to the US both locations are awesome for riding.

believe me here in ireland id be glad of dust of any nature. we have to dodge the rain just to get out and ride and your sure to get pretty messed up.

ill buy the beers if you can kick my ass on mid mountain or potato mountain

youll see me around ill be the guy trunking on the Yeti asr past you

stay fast

Mark

mtbr member

It's called...

I didnt blindly follow the guide books. I talked with several shops, looked around online, and talked to the local friends. Where else was I supposed to get information on trails being from out of town??? right good point.

And how is complaining like SV dust like complaining about moabs rocks? Moab is advertised as being rocky fun technical trails. Sorry but all the guide books and reviews of SV do not rave about how dusty the SV trails are. Which they are... I just dont understand how sun valley gets all the good reviews/word of mouth for the quality of their singletrack when its mostly dusty as hell. Dust I can deal with, but 4 inches of dusty dry powder around each corner is different all together.

I agree park city has snobs, but come on SV is just as much of a resort town so Im sure you guys have your fair share of snobs too. Basically im just disappointed you all advertise yourself as the singletrack capital when fruita blows you guys out of the water.

Yes the scenery, town, layout of the trails was great....but come on if they are so dusty you have to constantly worry about washing out how good can the trails be?
    It's called an upland desert. Things dry out in a desert that hasn't had rain since May.

Dust happens!
    BoiseBoy

Jan 2004
    Pictoral PROOF that it is no fun at all there:

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    OT

Anthony - I had fun on the AS-R!!!

- Dude with the Spark.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtnjam
    but come on if they are so dusty you have to constantly worry about washing out how good can the trails be?
    we don't seem to have any problem riding them...maybe you need to learn how to ride better and not wash out on trails like these

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think there are great people and great trails in both places.

Hopefully next time the trails will be gooey and moist with splashy cool creek crossings.

Keep riding so you will be ready for that perfect day when it happens.

mtbr member
    Funny, I rode the Wasatch Crest-Mid-Mountain Trail loop back to PC on July 4th and it was more dusty than anything I rode the next two weeks in SV/Stanley. Greenhorn-Imperial was in great shape. Fisher Creek-Williams was loose but the tread is decomposed granite, what do you expect. And the lupine was incredible. Wolftone-Curran was in primo shape.

I spend most of my time on the AZ board but to be honest I don't find too many folks in this forum trumpeting the awesomeness of the trails in SV. What's the big deal about PC? There's a ski lift around every corner and crowds of people. If you want some big climbing you can ride the skyline trail from Ben Lomond to Pineview but talk about loose, dusty and motos tearing everything up. Stick to PC where you belong. I'll continue to make the 14 hour drive to Idaho and stop but maybe for a ride or two in your neck of the woods.

Look out!
    Wait a minute, I was in PC right before the 4th, and mid mountain actually had some DUST on it. The trolls must not have been doing their job of driving their little trail sweepers the night before. Instead they went to SV to ride.
    Last edited by mtnbkrid; 07-23-2008 at 05:14 AM.
    Ride the bike.

blet drive

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid
    Wait a minute, I was in PC right before the 4th, and mid mountain actually had some DUST on it. The trolls must not have been doing their job of driving their little trail sweepers the night before. Instead they went to SV to ride.
    now thats funny they should hit trail 4.. but dust makes you a much more acomplished rider..
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

disagree with OP

Please ignore my grumpy fellow Utahan. I was at SV for work a couple of weeks ago and got exactly the fantastic ride the OP was looking for. Dumb luck on my part, perhaps. And, yes, many of our trails here are chewed to hell by some idiot motorbikers.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Dust on the trails - oh the horror!

Ruts in the trails - what a travesty!

Creek crossings - how could they!

Next thing you know they might make us ride mountain bikes in the mountains. Oh the humanity.

I'm reminded of a trip to Fruita when I had to endure a gumby's diatribe about how the Ribbon was not actually a mountain bike ride because there were places you had to get off a carry your bike. Meanwhile, behind his back, my partners had the whiner in a virtual pin to the hood of Earthpig's Element in a faux gang rape scene worthy a B-grade prison movie.

The original poster had better be keeping his soap on a rope.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Dust on the trails - oh the horror!

Ruts in the trails - what a travesty!

Creek crossings - how could they!
    Don't forget the slippery coyote poo. I remember you got rave reviews on your previous reference thereto. Soap on a rope is good for cleaning off the coyote poo, unless it has too much hair in it.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Don't forget the slippery coyote poo. I remember you got rave reviews on your previous reference thereto. Soap on a rope is good for cleaning off the coyote poo, unless it has too much hair in it.
    Why do you think they call it "Curly's Loop"? That's hair you don't need to know about. That sh!t will clog yer bathtub fer sher. Feck. I need a sedative.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Feck. I need a sedative.
    Go clean your guns. It always calms me down. That and the 'ludes. Well, there's the malt liquor too.

Speaking of malt beverages, I believe this photo was taken while the posse was engaging in forceful (but necessary) M2M with the gumby on the hood of the Element. Of course, the pictured gentleman had nothing to do with it, despite looking like an rejected extra from a B-grade prison movies.

Speaking of movies, I like movies about gladiators.
    Attached Images Attached Images

illiterate or intoxicated
    The bike and the face both say: "Surly"
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

Talentless Hack
    I will say this being from SLC, I ride both sides of the Wasatch regulary and have come to understand a few things about Park City riders. If your from Park City you are riding a new 5K bike with mathcing lycra shorts and jersey from some esoteric team from the east coast or California. You are riding only the most buff trails and complaining if the Canyons, Deer Valley or PC mountain haven't removed that aspen that just fell in the middle of the trail. You believe that Flying Dog is a hard trail and Ant Knolls is a challenging downhill. You are living in your parents condo that they bought a few years back as some kind of tax shelter and you told them you need to "find" your self after spending the last 16-17 years confined in private school. So to sum up PC is for the weak and coddled children of the rich. I'm surprised that RockyPoint didn't complain about his accomidations. As for dusty trails, the Wasatch Crest is absoulte powder in spots but I don't complain because I'm riding my bike. Maybe Rock Point hasn't been up to the Crest cause Puke hill is too hard.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Boise
    Give a little warning next time and we'll water the trails for you! and you might just find a nice warm moist napkin at the trailhead!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm from SLC and rode SV earlier this year. I'd say that the trails in SV are dusty, but no more so than the trails in PC. I think the last rain we got here was in June, so the trails in Utah are as dry as a bone. Thank god we had a ton of snow this year and had a mild spring or else we'd be riding knee deep in dust!

I remember last year I was riding MM to Rob/Collins, and my friend had to stay RIGHT behind me. Any further back and he was enveloped in my dust cloud.

I thought the trails in SV and PC are pretty similar. The main differences are the milder weather in SV, and the higher mosquito count there. As for snootiness, it's pretty equivalent. (Though we were miffed that there was a downtown outdoor concert in Ketchum where the free tickets were ONLY distributed to locals beforehand--pretty lame).

Anyway, I thought SV was fun and may head there again later this month!

mtbr member
    The OP was just a troll. It's dusty all over the west in the summer.

mtbr member
    i just got back from park city and damn, it isn't very impressive. they advertise 'the best powder in the west'. i didn't find it. ripped up the bases of my skis looking.
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by accesspig
    i just got back from park city and damn, it isn't very impressive. they advertise 'the best powder in the west'.
    PC with the best powder in the West? How could that be true when they don't even have the best powder in Utah (by a long shot)?

Talentless Hack
    Does Park City even have powder?
    Sierra Club Sucks

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    i was in PC last weekend, and it's moondust everywhere, with some exceptions of course. I was in SV the weekend before that, and Fox Cr, Chocolate and Oregon were dusty in spots, but not any worse than PC. Some of the stuff higher up in Deer Valley was horrible how dusty it was. The riding in both places is stellar, regardless of the dust.

And for the record, I lived in PC for 4 years, now live in Boise. People in Idaho are WAY more cool than people in PC...Utah is sort of like Arkansas: A great state, if it weren't for the people...PC has gotten out of hand, and the Vail-if-ication is almost complete...riding is the only reason to go.

and the cottonwoods get so much more snow than PC it's not even funny.

oh yea, and it's hard to get drunk on 3.2

mtbr member

timing is everything

i didn't mean to start a snow discussion....my post lacked enough words (still on painkillers from my bike vs car accident). my point to the OP is the conditions are determined by the time of year you visit. to say it is dusty after no rain in the summer, duh. and obviously if i just returned from a summer trip to PC and am complaining about lack of snow powder, then i am an idiot (like the OP) for assuming skiing is good in the summer.
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I wasn't going to post but, damn it, I just can't resist

First off this original post was a troll and I can't believe it received so much attention. The problem is some of the bumbass comments that have followed. That's what I'd like to comment on.

I just got back from a 2.5 week road trip to Stanely, SV, and PC and I'm here to tell you that there are shitty trails, incredible trails, dusty trails, trails that have no business be labeled as mountain bike trails, trails I'd do every day until I die, trails I'll never do again, people wrapped in Lycra, guys with reflectors on their bikes, good beer, there is not such thing as bad beer (even if it is 3.2), dorks, righteous dudes and dudettes, helpful people, ranchers, horses, at all these places.

To say that one state or locale has a certain type of people or terrain is like saying Idaho is full of potato farmers and white supremacists and Utah is full polygamists and Mormons. Sure there is a majority, but there are a lot of good aspects outside of that.

Bottom line, if you can't have fun at any of these spots, then maybe it's not everyone else...it might be you.

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    stereotyping takes less time...lots of cool people in both places, uv kors...

and i sure as sh*t never said i didn't have fun in any of the places. I love riding in PC and SV equally, though i'm much more familiar with PC.

I don't want to get religious or political, but unless you've lived in UT as a 'minority', you cannot appreciate what a hassle some aspects of life are there. yea, they were there first, yada yada...i get it...but i still stand by what i said as a generality...that said, there are some fo'd up people up here in ID too. no doubt about it...

good or bad, it's still hard to get drunk on 3.2

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

SV trails, don't complain.

Iv been here for a week now and had some of the best riding of my life. You have to realize that not all the trails are going to be buffed to your specs. besides if you want buffed then take up road riding and stay on the road. Im from western Washington and compared to that area SV is buffed. On average it seems you can go 2 to 4 miles an hr faster here depending on the climbs. All I can say is this area (SV) is great.

mtbr member
    Great pics Anthonys.....

UpHiller
    I spent two weeks riding my mind out in Ketchum and Stanley this August and can vouch for the amazing single track. Not really anymore dusty then I experience last August in Park City. Honestly, I thought it was better than the Park City area.

Members who have read this thread: 0