suggestions for a new bike?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2005

suggestions for a new bike?

I am needing/wanting a new bike with a bit more travel and durability then my little XC provides. I've been out of the market loop for a while so I'd love some thoughts and opinions about what everyone is riding especially in the 5-6 inch travel range. I'm not super strong so heavier bikes don't always suit me. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Hey Stranger,
    575, MotoLite, Ibis Mojo should be bikes that you can build up light (25 to 27 lbs).
    G

jones'in
    Giant Reign is a good option in the 6" range. Pedals great and also very durable, not as expense as a lot of the boutique bikes.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

just a man
    How much cash you looking to spend? You would need to define "heavy" and "pedalability" since a lot of heavier bikes (35lbs +) can pedal pretty well to get you to the top for a nice downhill. Also which trails will you be frequenting? If you're sticking to the Boise Foothills trails, I can't see why you'd need/want anything with more than 5" of travel.

If you plan on taking it up on the hill or to Moab or Tamarack, then maybe the extra travel would be useful. Earthpig and others here ride fully rigid bikes (0" travel) very well in the Footies.....

Wandervans

Titus Motolight

Is a great xc/epic bike. Mine has a talas RLC 140 up front and 5.5" in the back plus a gravity dropper for around 28.5lbs. Is perfect for idaho trails, maybe overkill for foothills trails but great for other places. Much more durable pivots than a giant and a better ride than the 575.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Is a great xc/epic bike. Mine has a talas RLC 140 up front and 5.5" in the back plus a gravity dropper for around 28.5lbs. Is perfect for idaho trails, maybe overkill for foothills trails but great for other places. Much more durable pivots than a giant and a better ride than the 575.
    Chris you're biased because you're a "Titus" guy! Cbro would also agree with you since he's a Titus guy. I'm sure it's a great bike, I've just never ridden one. Flip and the other 575 owners would probably disagree with you since they like Yeti. I was about to recommend Transition and Kona since I own those, but witheld since those are my biased choices. I recommend to oldpro to go out and testride a bunch and check the account balance to see what works best for all those considerations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Lets see you can get a transition Preston FR... 5" rear and 5" in front.

I also support the Giant Reign.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Chicks dig Turners. She should get a Turner. Or a Chumba - just cos none of y'alls have one.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    a better ride than the 575.
    really? man, i'm trading mine in and getting a Moto-Lite tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

for the money

the reign is good, but I've seen some durability issues in my wife's bike. She isn't that aggressive of a rider and takes good care of her stuff. She's on her third Der hanger and is unhappy with the flexiness of the bike. This said, she likes the ride(pedaling and downhill) and the wieght is respectable(~32). It's good bike, but I wouldn't call it durable. Oh the best upgrade was to trash the tires- Hutch. air lights are not up to the local riding.

Archie

Mar 2005
    Guys, ya'all rock. Thanks!

Flip- you really gonna trade in your baby for a motolight? Twisted Mister- know much about the Turner? My friend Jude with Magura made the same suggestion.

also, I am looking for something a little more "playful" then my XC or hard tail. I'll save those for the hood. Need a toy for Moab, Whistler, ski areas etc. I just don't think that I can handle anything too aggressive as I am peu'ney.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpro
    Flip- you really gonna trade in your baby for a motolight? .
    hehe... not a chance...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Current bike is a Scott Spark 10 with XTR and XO. It has 4.5 inches of travel and weighs 22 lbs. Full lockout mode rocks on the smooth climbs. Traction mode is awesome for tech climbs. And my back still loves me after 11.5 hours on the thing.

And if you really wanted to make it light...it will go as light as 21 lbs with ease. All the advantages of a HT, and you still have a FS for the nasties.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

another vote for reign

Original's had some bearing issues that should be sorted out. Give them a serious look.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Hi

Guys, ya'all rock. Thanks!

Flip- you really gonna trade in your baby for a motolight? Twisted Mister- know much about the Turner? My friend Jude with Magura made the same suggestion.

also, I am looking for something a little more "playful" then my XC or hard tail. I'll save those for the hood. Need a toy for Moab, Whistler, ski areas etc. I just don't think that I can handle anything too aggressive as I am peu'ney.
    When you get a chance go over to Custom Cycle n' Ski on State and Lander and have a look at the owners Turner RFX. He's got a 6" travel bike built up pretty respectably light. Also, I didn't used to think so but now do that the pivots on Turners are really nice and durable (bushing system). I've had ZERO problems with them on my 5 Spot. You're stong and have technical skills so I think the RFX would be a better all around play bike for you than a 5 Spot

Also, my 2c, all these new trailbikes are good.

aaarrrggghh!

Totally Custom Cycles!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    When you get a chance go over to Custom Cycle n' Ski on State and Lander and have a look at the owners Turner RFX. .
    Tell him that you want to ride a heavy freeride bike everywhere so he can sh!t talk you like he does me. I find that to be the best form of customer service. Sh!t talk other people about what they ride behind their backs. That's why you'll get my vote to go in an spend lots of dough there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't know what to say. I've gotten really good service at just about every bike shop in Boise. I should have just mentioend a bike and not any shop.......... my respects to all!

Edit:

Regarding the parties that are having the dispute on here - I am friends with, and respect them all. I've done my share of bike shop bashing in the past and learned the error of my ways! Well how can I respect them all? Because I won't get pulled into trash talking anybody.

I don't need to take sides, I just want to take the high road, and that goes more broadly than just on this site, and just in the bike community. Does that make sense?

Regarding Jon's shop, I have nothing but outstanding service there including him building up my bike that I cannot ride to its potential LOL! (Reign).

Regarding my respect for some of the best riders around and their skill levels, such as Ian and Trevor, my respect for their skill is very high, and Lonne is coming up quick and going for it, but stop taking diggers man!

If freeride leaders are not happy with Custom Cycle and Ski, I would like to respectfully ask that they reconsider, give the benefit of the doubt, and give another chance for whatever may have been said. I like Jon and would like to see his business grow by selling and servicing to all kind of riders.

My respects to all.
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 08-17-2007 at 08:37 PM.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    Tell him that you want to ride a heavy freeride bike everywhere so he can sh!t talk you like he does me. I find that to be the best form of customer service. Sh!t talk other people about what they ride behind their backs. That's why you'll get my vote to go in an spend lots of dough there.
    Take him up to the Bogus Project and see if he can hang with you up there......my guess is the shizzletalk would probably end.

mtbr member

Go Custom Cycles...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible

Another vote for Custom Cycles. There great! I like the price quotes they give. When you actually commit to making the purchase, the original quote is forgotten and the price jumps! Woohoo. It's even better when he tells you to your face how your gear sucks and your bike is a shitty design. After discussing that, then tries to get you to buy a bike from him. Oh ya, the shittalking people who ride heavy bikes and how they are ridiculous for riding them and how they don't need a bike like that is great too! I really liked that as I ride with alot of those people. Calling other bike shops for info and acting like a customer while your standing there really boost your confidence in their ability to fix your bike.

Glad he has an RFX now...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Twisted Mister- know much about the Turner? My friend Jude with Magura made the same suggestion.
    I took a 575, a Turner Spot and a MotoLite for a ride. Took 'em around the block. Know what I'm saying? The MotoLite was right. Even though the Karate Monkey is more fun to ride. 29 inch wheels and all. Especially on the Preload Hills. All day on the rocks and roots and I'll grind the MotoLite sofa.

But you. You should get a Chumba. You've been on a Titus for too long. Chumba's been getting the snaps in the Californias. The XCL looks like an epic come true. http://www.chumbaracing.com/xcl.shtml The EVO looks good if you want to go vertical.

Turner's been around a while so getting a Spot or a Pack or whatever they're called these days would be safe. I've seen alot of female riders with your build on the Spot. In Colorado they're on either Turners or spams of 575s.

Another option you might enjoy would be a geared Niner with a Reba fork. Chicks dig those too. You can roll anyting on big wheels.

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    hehe... not a chance...
    you can live in your state of denial for only so long
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by kpnalder1
    Another vote for Custom Cycles. There great! I like the price quotes they give. When you actually commit to making the purchase, the original quote is forgotten and the price jumps! Woohoo. It's even better when he tells you to your face how your gear sucks and your bike is a shitty design. After discussing that, then tries to get you to buy a bike from him. Oh ya, the shittalking people who ride heavy bikes and how they are ridiculous for riding them and how they don't need a bike like that is great too! I really liked that as I ride with alot of those people. Calling other bike shops for info and acting like a customer while your standing there really boost your confidence in their ability to fix your bike.

Glad he has an RFX now...
    I have to chime in. Jon at Custom Cycles was VERY helpful, and fast to get my Switchblade running again in time for our Stanley weekend. He went the extra mile, stayed on budget, and even did more than he originally promised.

In fact, I'm taking him a 6-pack of Bend OR vegetable supplements today just to say thanks.

I'm very pleased, but obviously, YMMV.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    I have to chime in. Jon at Custom Cycles was VERY helpful, and fast to get my Switchblade running again in time for our Stanley weekend. He went the extra mile, stayed on budget, and even did more than he originally promised.

In fact, I'm taking him a 6-pack of Bend OR vegetable supplements today just to say thanks.

I'm very pleased, but obviously, YMMV.

CDB
    I've heard that he sometimes does that and that's great. He did do some nice things for me the first couple times I went there. But it still doesn't change the negative things I experienced with him. It has left a very bad taste for me. Riding is suppose to be about having fun. It's not about who rides what and how they ride. Baggin on others because of the equipment they use or there style of riding isn't going to win anyone over. I know for a fact that he talks negatively of equipment others use because I've heard of other instances of this with him. Not good for a business model or from a business standpoint!

Mar 2005
    Sounds like I will be doing a little shopping soon! RRB want to join me? Heading up to Tamarack for the next few days. Again I appreciate all the suggestions. Have a great weekend and keep the rubber on the rims.

OH, almost forgot- any thoughts on Trek or Cannondale?

mtbr member
    Sounds like I will be doing a little shopping soon! RRB want to join me? Heading up to Tamarack for the next few days. Again I appreciate all the suggestions. Have a great weekend and keep the rubber on the rims.

OH, almost forgot- any thoughts on Trek or Cannondale?
    Trek has a new version (2008) version of the Fuel EX that looks interesting...
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...k_mtb_launch07
    RRB races on my old Fuel 100 and she likes it (the EX is the 5" version of the Fuel). The traveling Trek Demo guy lives in Boise now so it maybe easy to get a test ride on one (if IMT or George's doesn't have one yet).

mtbr member
    I am totally in love with my 2007 Turner RFX! Is it overkill for the footies heck yeah(I have a rigid single speed and a xc hardtail for those trails) but it works so good everywhere else I like to ride. Actually I pretty much only ride the Turner now unless it is commuting across town and then I use one of my hardtails. I have ridden a few bikes (not as many as a lot of people) and I have to say this is by far the nicest built and one of nicest riding bike I have ever had the pleasure of throwing my leg over. Unless you are a heavy rider and want to go big the Spot would be a hot ride for around here. Mtngirl has a 06 spot and loves it. I wouldn't mind replaceing the xc hardtail with a 2007 SPOT or a SULTAN. Nope can't do it the next investment will be a 5-6" travel steel all mtn hardtail. yep that sounds fun! Anyway my point in all of this: Turner makes a frame that is a work of art and worth looking into. I don't know what size you would need but you could take my RFX for a spin if it fits ya.
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Buy the one the fits

Take your favorite saddle and put it on all the steeds mentioned and ride. Buy the one that fits and talks to you. When your buns are singing to you in an Elivs voice you will know it's the right bike. Elvis lives!

If you do buy the Titus make sure and buy the cheap one without the carbon fiber stays.

Now I am off to find my Blue Suede Shoes and ride away today.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    Take your favorite saddle and put it on all the steeds mentioned and ride. Buy the one that fits and talks to you. When your buns are singing to you in an Elivs voice you will know it's the right bike. Elvis lives!

If you do buy the Titus make sure and buy the cheap one without the carbon fiber stays.

Now I am off to find my Blue Suede Shoes and ride away today.
    Speaking of singing, I hollered at you on the way down the hill the other day Mike. Hope you all had fun - looks like the post-ride brew consumption hour was a success!

BMX:Our Shining Future

Designed For Women

Mountain Bike Action magazine (they're so Cali) says that Specialized has a dedicated set of women designers who build bikes for women and they recommend women take a good look at Specialized bikes for that reason.

Also the Gary Fisher HiFi seems to be getting rave reviews for its handling qualities.

Does anybody out there run that Foes downhill racing bike with the Curnett suspention?

Apr 2007
    i second those who suggested chumba.!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey Ian, Its a bummer that you have to back up the negative perception of freeriders with your bad attitude. Everyone has there opinion, and when someone wants my opinion on a design or a bike and its intended use, I have given them my honest opinion. I hope you can see your
    hippocritical ways... Later....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    OH, Lonne, Lets see, You came in and *****ed about new fork prices and wanted a deal.
    Then I mentioned that my friend had a pike and front wheel for cheap ( I think 525 for fork and wheel ). So then you figured out that the rim was hard seat a tire on, lets remember you purchased the rim from someone else, not me, So then you pitched a big fit and kept calling me. Oh and all the while I was helping you on your bike(for FREE). Then you came in and your rear wheel kept coming out of your frame, so I pulled the wheel out and found that the axle was shifted over. And YOU mentioned that you just had it in at georges and then began *****ing about them. I told you simply to go back there and make them fix it.
    Oh and all the while not charging you.. I think both of you need to look inward and realize that even good people have the right to there opinions and when I get customer after customer coming in with stories of dissapointment, then yea its hard not to chime in once and a while, but hey I guess I'm human, and shame on you for acting so negatively when you guys are the supposed leaders of the freeride community.. Thanks for showing your true colors and most likely further uniting my positive customer base...oh and lastly that was my neighbor who borrowed my phone to call georges because he rides a headshock and needed service. You guys are so highschool, doh there goes an opinon again.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Can I split my vote?

Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    Also the Gary Fisher HiFi seems to be getting rave reviews for its handling qualities.
    I absolutely love my Turner 5 Spot and the deals/service I've received from Jon and Dan at Custom Cycles.

I just bought my wife a HiFi Deluxe from World Cycle for her birthday. (Sorry Jon, I couldn't get her to go for the Flux!) World is still my favorite "mainstream" shop in town. Great service, and great folks.

We rode World's demo HiFi for a weekend before buying the bike. We both ride large frames, so I took it out for spin and was really impressed. it climbs well, handles great, and is light enough to flick around. Would I take the HiFi over the Spot? No, the Turner is just too much fun. But I'm thinking about trading my coil fork for an air one, to lighten up the bike a bit.

So - If you have the budget - try a Turner. If you need to get an entire bike for about the same price as a Turner frame, check out the HiFi.

No guarantee that either will have your buns singing like Elvis, though!

HH

King of the Barneys
    Regarding the HiFi, my buddy from AZ came here, rented one from IMT for our Stanley weekend, and he loved it. He rides a Switchblade like me, and hard as it was to accept that a bike for half the Titus price is so good, it really is good. Climbed like a goat, handled quite nimbly, and only seemed to weigh around 24lbs !

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Wandervans
    If you plan to ride a lot of miles I would stay away from the giant. I have owned four giants and while they rode well it seemed like I was having to get the pivots redone every 8 months or so and there was a lot of flex in the rear end.

Titus bikes are just stiff and reliable and you can make it 2 years or more without having to redo the pivots. Plus look at how many times the motolight has won bike of the year in magazines. Ellsworth is also a nice rig, but pricy.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

aaarrrggghh!
    It's too bad you further those erroneous perceptions while trash talking freeriders to your customers. Seems rather cyclical don't you think. You ever think that perhaps your part of the problem.

I've been working hard with land managers and land owners to improve our relationship. What have you done?

I guess I don't understand how calling you out on questionable behavior leads one to assume I have a bad attitude. If you need to trash on me to sell bikes so be it, but don't act surprised when someone finally calls you out on it. Peace

mtbr member
    May 2004

Why?

If you plan to ride a lot of miles I would stay away from the giant. I have owned four giants and while they rode well it seemed like I was having to get the pivots redone every 8 months or so and there was a lot of flex in the rear end.

Titus bikes are just stiff and reliable and you can make it 2 years or more without having to redo the pivots. Plus look at how many times the motolight has won bike of the year in magazines. Ellsworth is also a nice rig, but pricy.
    Regarding the Giants, do you think it's due to the suspension designs you had or that they were using cheaper bearings a few years back? They went to higher quality stuff now.

mtbr member
    I ride a '05 Mongoose Teocali Super. 5.5" and firm pedaling for cheap. Around 30lbs, and still solid w/ about 2500miles. Although the previous frame was a solid design, the yimproved it for '08. It's spec'ed w/ XT and is aroud $2200. I'd buy a 'goose again, but I don't need a new bike yet (but always looking). Like the others, I'm biased.

Happy hunting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

apples to oranges

Have you ridden the reign? Comparing todays crop of bikes with bikes you've owned in the past is not exaclty accurate. VT's had a lot of flex, reigns do not. Totally different bike, I never would have considered suggesting any of the previous frames Giant made, especially the VT and the AC models.

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    Have you ridden the reign? Comparing todays crop of bikes with bikes you've owned in the past is not exaclty accurate. VT's had a lot of flex, reigns do not. Totally different bike, I never would have considered suggesting any of the previous frames Giant made, especially the VT and the AC models.
    Nope I have never ridden a reign, nor do I plan on it. I would hope they have gotten better over the years. The main point I am trying to make is the quality difference between the bigger manufactures and the small manufactures. You just get a higher quality bike from titus, ellsworth and others when compared with giant and mongoose. I have owned specialized, giant, and jamis bikes from the big boys and also voodoo and titus from the small guys over the past 16 years of mountain biking. If you can afford it go with the small guys even if it chumba...
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nope I have never ridden a reign, nor do I plan on it. I would hope they have gotten better over the years. The main point I am trying to make is the quality difference between the bigger manufactures and the small manufactures. You just get a higher quality bike from titus, ellsworth and others when compared with giant and mongoose. I have owned specialized, giant, and jamis bikes from the big boys and also voodoo and titus from the small guys over the past 16 years of mountain biking. If you can afford it go with the small guys even if it chumba...
    I can agree with that. I like supporting the small, rider owned companies whenever I can and there is usually a reason they are more expensive and it is the little things on your steed that can make or ruin a ride. Just don't want to be misleading people who are wanting accurate feedback is all.

mtbr member

Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by jonmtb
    OH, Lonne, Lets see, You came in and *****ed about new fork prices and wanted a deal.
    Then I mentioned that my friend had a pike and front wheel for cheap ( I think 525 for fork and wheel ). So then you figured out that the rim was hard seat a tire on, lets remember you purchased the rim from someone else, not me, So then you pitched a big fit and kept calling me. Oh and all the while I was helping you on your bike(for FREE). Then you came in and your rear wheel kept coming out of your frame, so I pulled the wheel out and found that the axle was shifted over. And YOU mentioned that you just had it in at georges and then began *****ing about them. I told you simply to go back there and make them fix it.
    Oh and all the while not charging you.. I think both of you need to look inward and realize that even good people have the right to there opinions and when I get customer after customer coming in with stories of dissapointment, then yea its hard not to chime in once and a while, but hey I guess I'm human, and shame on you for acting so negatively when you guys are the supposed leaders of the freeride community.. Thanks for showing your true colors and most likely further uniting my positive customer base...oh and lastly that was my neighbor who borrowed my phone to call georges because he rides a headshock and needed service. You guys are so highschool, doh there goes an opinon again.....
    Not sure why I am even responding. Probably because I want people to see both sides and not just you looking like you've done nothing to instigate this type of behavior out of me.
    Jon, you seem to think you are self-righteous and do nothing wrong. Jon, YOU are a hippocrit. You accuse me of acting negatively, but in actuality, you have started it with your shittalking and gearbashing of others. If that is the business model you want to practice to sell out of your shop, then so be it. I never once denied the nice things you did for me and won't. I was very appreciative at the time as you knew. Oh, and you didn't do as much for free on my bike as you portray. A few things yes, but not as much as you are leading people to believe. I have the carbon copies of checks to prove it. Yes, your right in the respect that people are entitled to their own opinions, but as far as a business goes, there's time to express those and times they should not be expressed unless asked directly. You need to think what's best for your business. If it wasn't for the negativity towards others and their gear and changing price quotes, I would still be coming to your shop. Later

mtbr member
    The main point I am trying to make is the quality difference between the bigger manufactures and the small manufactures. You just get a higher quality bike from titus, ellsworth and others when compared with giant and mongoose.
    quality is all relative. for all you know, the aluminum motolite frames could be made in the same factory as the giant, yeti or mongoose frames... i think what people are trying to say is to NOT diss a bike IF you don't have any experience riding that specific bike. if you have substantial time on a reign, a teocali, a 575, a singlespeed then by all means, give feedback. otherwise, equating quality with how much you pay for a bike is just silly...

mtbr member
    quality is all relative. for all you know, the aluminum motolite frames could be made in the same factory as the giant, yeti or mongoose frames... i think what people are trying to say is to NOT diss a bike IF you don't have any experience riding that specific bike. if you have substantial time on a reign, a teocali, a 575, a singlespeed then by all means, give feedback. otherwise, equating quality with how much you pay for a bike is just silly...
    isnt' smileycook part of the dobiacco team? and don't they get good deals on titus bikes?

with that said. i'm sure the titus would be a sweet ride. give it a try.

most bikes mentioned are welded in taiwan. the bearings are pressed in at the respective US factory. and the bike frame is assembled at this time. i know some frames are totally US built. but you're gonna pay for that. (not a bad thing, imo). my IF steel deluxe with custom flame paint cost way more than my Yeti 575 frame.

i don't think anyone has mentioned iron horse mkiii (dwlinK) yet. check them out.

Wandervans
    You do get what you pay. Just don't forget some people tend to get tunnel vision about the bike they are on and thinking how grand your bike rides. I have been guilty of this also.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    You do get what you pay. Just don't forget some people tend to get tunnel vision about the bike they are on and thinking how grand your bike rides. I have been guilty of this also.
    Hmmmm... No, you don't always have to pay a lot for great quality... The best welded hardtail I've ever had the pleasure building up was an On One Inbred (purchased new for $150). The frame was straight and the TIG job on it is easily as good as some boutique ti, aluminum and steel frames I've worked on/built up. It was also faced and chased properly from the factory. It is also one of the best riding hardtails I've ever had the pleasure of throwing a leg over.

Don't drink too much of the Best Bike of the Year bike magazine's Koolaid. It's just the magazine's way of thanking the bike company who spent the most advertising $$$ with them that year.

As far as tunnel vision, you are absolutely right and that was my point to begin with...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

So, what are you gonna get?

Again I appreciate all the suggestions.
    Oldpro,

I'm dyin' to know...

After all of the banter and brand wars, what are you going to get?

HH

PS - If it's not a Turner, it's crap! Just kidding folks - to each his (or her) own!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

This would be the most fun

This would be the most fun even though it is missing the streamers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    This would be the most fun even though it is missing the streamers.
    Posting pics like that will put you in the slammer. Keep your soap on a rope, Ginger.

Fly fat ass fly !
    Blur LT
    IMO theres nothing around you can't ride on a ht .

sharing the love
    This thread reminds me of why I don't waste much time here.

To keep with the rationalization that most e-riders on here seems to use, the BEST bikes in the world are:

Santa Cruz Heckler
    Surly Cross Check
    Redline Monocog
    BT Raven 6.0

Because I own them All the rest suck
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebdi
    e-riders
    that's funny

nice stable or two-wheelers mang! what's your favorite shop? which shop sucks the most? which shop screwed you? oh mang.

mtnjam
    Quote Originally Posted by zebdi
    Surly Cross Check
    agreed....great all around bike

well that and a Switchblade

and maybe a Stumpy fully rigid SS There's nothing in the foothills it can't be ridden up or down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am needing/wanting a new bike with a bit more travel and durability then my little XC provides. I've been out of the market loop for a while so I'd love some thoughts and opinions about what everyone is riding especially in the 5-6 inch travel range. I'm not super strong so heavier bikes don't always suit me. Thanks!!
    If you're around 5'9" to 6'1", I have a Ibis Carbon Mojo, complete bike, for sale. It's been sitting in my ex girlfriend's garage (don't ask, long story) since the colored Mojo arrived.

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    If you're around 5'9" to 6'1", I have a Ibis Carbon Mojo, complete bike, for sale. It's been sitting in my ex girlfriend's garage (don't ask, long story) since the colored Mojo arrived.

I am 5'7" and 120 fightin lbs. A bit short for the sexy mojo. Thank you though.

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Double H
    Oldpro,

I'm dyin' to know...

After all of the banter and brand wars, what are you going to get?

HH

PS - If it's not a Turner, it's crap! Just kidding folks - to each his (or her) own!

I am still not sure what to spend my pennys on~ I've been spending my free time rollin in the dirt instead of rolling about town shopping! Next week (after this weekends rides) I'll put in some shopping time and hopefully get in a few test rides. When my baby comes home, I'll post pictures, then rub it with a diaper.

PS- I can't ride crap! And honestly any bike that makes ya smile while you're out riding is a good bike.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I can't ride crap! And honestly any bike that makes ya smile while you're out riding is a good bike.
    Hah hah.

If that's the criteria then the Salsa Mamasita has got your name on it.

https://www.salsacycles.com/mamasita.html
    Buld it up with some Delgado rims and Panaracer skins, a White Brothers Carbon Fork and some X0 bits and you will have the shiznit wired down tight.

Don't believe the hype. There's nothing in Iduho you can't already ride on your RacerX, why not ride it in style.

Mar 2005

FINALLY Left some cash at the shop

Well, I did it! I bought a bike! Yeti 575 sporting a magura fork and gold brakes. Thanks everyone for your bike suggestions last summer. See ya in the dirt.

mtbr member
    you have chosen wisely...

Mar 2005
    Thanks Flip! I love it.

mtbr member
    Gary is evil. If he was a good person, you'd be on a 5-spot. ;-)

Mar 2005
    Is Flip just bike evil or is he pretty much evil all the way around? The 5 spot is a slick ride too. But the planets did align in the Constellation Yeti when the credit card came out.

Members who have read this thread: 0