Sublime Creek- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sublime Creek

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Sublime Creek

Definitely not a ride for someone that considers 4 hours a long ride, as this one took nearly 8 hours...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Pretty. Where is that at?

mtnjam
    near the Trinity's or the west part of the Soldiers?

I'm guessing Sublime gives the location away

It is an epic. I really don't recommend it unless you have very good route finding skills. The people I was riding with were prepared to spend the night out there, if it came to that. It is the type of ride that really makes you wish you had your wilderness first responder certification.

The picture was taken at 7200+ feet. I have to give kudo to Cook...that crew really cleared out the brush on the climb.

Wandervans
    good to hear the crew did a good job. Hope to be out in the smokies this coming weekend.

I bet the trails must have been really crowded
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

They did great. The "short-cut" we took back needs a lot of trimming, though. Call Meeker for specifics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The rest of the story

With the lack of pictures and posts around here, I thought it might be a good idea to post some pics and thoughts from last weeks time off and time on the bike.

It all started early last Saturday at 7:00 am at the Burger King on the way out of town. Since we were at B.Kís house of colon blow it was a given that some of us had to have some sausage and biscuits. Then it was under the freeway to Starbutts for some expresso to set the charge for an all day ride.

We finally get to the Lime Creek trailhead about 10:00 and start down a short section of double track. The two in front must have stirred up the hornets because poor Al and I had to ride through a swarm. Unfortunately Al took one to the head. I convinced him to chew up a root from a bunch of yarrow and stick it on the bee sting to take the bite out. Figured if the yarrow didnít reduce the pain the nasty taste of dirt and yarrow would take his mind off the sting. He did mention the dirt was pretty nasty.

A little over a half mile the single track starts. In no time, I was down in 2nd gear and regretting the sausage and wondering if ďthe old manĒ had pulled another fast one on us about the gentle climb! I was hoping this wasnít going to turn into one of those regrettable epics. And then the trail popped out next to the creek and rolled along with wonderful sights of beaver ponds, tall grass and just enough rock outcroppings to keep in exciting. Thanks! Chris for talking to the Forest Service about cutting back the brush!!!!

The scenery was excellent but made it difficult to stay focused on the trail. At one point, I was watch the guy in front of me and wondering why he was making a sweeping turn left and then a right toward the creek. It became apparent it wasnít an intended side trip when the back tire went up in the air and then the feet were higher than the back tire. It would have been concerning but the sound after the splash was laughter!

After what seemed about 3-hours, 3000í of vertical and something like 12-miles it was time for lunch. From the lunch spot you could see Iron Mtn Lookout and the last climb to the saddle.

The plan was to take the ridge or avoid the up and down of the ridge and take a short cut down the North Fork. Why is it that every short cut ends up taking twice as long! You wonít find many pictures from me on the descent. I was way too busy trying to focus on the next rock maze and moves to get through! Who ever says Idaho doesnít have technical trails hasnít done much exploring in Idaho. Twice on the descent, I had to stop because I was mentally fried from the technical moves and exposure if things didnít go well. The down hill was more physically draining than the uphill. But when there is beer in the car nothing will slow down and Irishman not even the heat exhaustion belly rumbles.

Seven and half hours later, we were back to the car. It took two cans of sparkling water to settle the stomach and it was time for the first BEER! Life is good and this was the first day of a five day hiatus from work.

Pics
    Your moderator riding through tall grass

More tall grass

Monkey Flowers at a creek crossing where we pumped water

Lunch break

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

More pics headed to the top

As mentioned in the previews post. The scenery was great. The beaver ponds and creek were so distracting that sometimes staying on the trail was tough. In fact, one among us rode into the creek. I am going get some grief and a pay back for this pic.

Near the top it started to get hot. We regrouped under a tree before the final couple of hike-a-bikes.

The third pic was taken just before the last feeding frenzy before the top. The trail cuts across the open space right around the helmet in the picture.

Once we got to the saddle, there was a long discussion about whether to take the ridge back or follow another creek. We opted for the creek as the supposed "short cut." The creek was hoot but not for the meek or the timid. I think we all took at least one digger.

The trail toward home with a small dot of a rider down the trail.

Maybe someone else took pictures of the downhill but that's all I had time to take trying to keep up with Virginia - that boy goes fast!

jalepenio jimenez

Nice pics

boys.

Where're the coon skin hats and buckskin jock-straps?
    Last edited by mudflap; 08-06-2007 at 05:51 AM.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

Wandervans
    We hit the loop again today and ended up riding the ridge trail which worked out well. NF was tought but fun. Here is two pics on the ridge of the group.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Nice pics, looks like one heck of a good ride. No smoke either... gotta love it!

Rocks Rock

Sat. 8/18/07

Anyone want to do this ride this coming Saturday? I'm trying to talk Ben into it. I am thinking of making a camping weekend of it. Maybe driving up and camp some place close Fri. night, Lime creek Sat. and another short ride Sun. before the drive home. Maybe a little fishin mixed in.
    Am I being kind?

Members who have read this thread: 0