Studded Tires....Impact issues?- Mtbr.com
    let freedom ring!

Studded Tires....Impact issues?

Most of you know that I have only been riding since around March/April. So now that there is snow and ice on the trails I have some questions. On rock island the other day the dirt was great but the rocks had ice on them which caused some issues. My five ten impacts where so cold they were rock hard and when I put my foot on some of the rocks it would just slip off, I have the bruises to prove that! So the question, Is it ok to use studded tires at Rock Island or would it cause to much damage to the rocks? Or do I just not ride on Ice covered rocks? I didn't even realize they had studded tires untill someone on another post mentioned it. So what is the common thought on studded tires and when should you use or not use them?
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Don't use 'em. You'll eat sh!t. Studs give better traction, but they won't give you the traction you get when everything is dry.

Studs should only be used when you have animals and want more animals...or when you really want to get out on the trails. Just like in cars...studs slide on pavement. Also, you can't lean on studs icy turns...well you could...but the results may not be what you expect.

FYI - if you want to get studs..Nokian are the fooshizzle grasshopper.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Visicypher]Don't use 'em. You'll eat sh!t. Studs give better traction, but they won't give you the traction you get when everything is dry.

Also, you can't lean on studs icy turns...well you could...but the results may not be what you expect.QUOTE]

This guy is pretty confident in his studs...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...31#post2498231

slownfat
    even worse, when you bite it anywhere close to the tires, they seem to reach out and grab you, ripping your clothes and leaving nasty cuts (personal experience, though it was way back in the day on homemade studs -1/4" wood screws through old DH tires, running Mr Tuffy liners!) it was a fun experiment for 2 rides. After that, it was back to regular tires, lower pressure, and only riding on snow days, leaving ice days for motorized travel.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Yup, I've seen those pics of that rider. I run Nokian just like him. I run a Nokian Extreme 294 up front and a Mount and Ground on the back.

Studs give better traction, but they don't still don't grab like I want them too. Regardless, I still go faster than I should on them. I'll never do drops on them...as I ride alone a lot.

And yes Pstar, I have had the unfortunate experience of studs grabing flesh and clothing. Ouch!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Members who have read this thread: 0