a stolen bike "welcome 2 Boise"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

a stolen bike "welcome 2 Boise"

arrived in Boise friday for the first time in my life (from kansas) and got a "welcome 2 Boise" sat. night. Just below my third floor apartment we had our bikes locked up with just a cable lock (just hadn't purchased anything better yet). Park apartments near BSU. that evening a rental black Jamis and my blue older blue trek 8000 (marzocci fork, v-brakes, icon crank, xt rear, lx front) were stolen by a guy and girl. I know because we walked past them just before they were stolen. He was digging through his backpack and I assumed he was looking for his keys to one of the 4 apartments that our bikes were locked up by. I walked on and about two blocks away I looked back and saw someone take off fast on a bike. I got back and we had 2 gone. Oh well I should have known better. SO if anyone hears of these bikes floatin around please let me know. I am not hopeful but... So now I am looking to buy another mountain bike, I only planned on buying a commuter for work and school but now I need a mountain bike since that is one of main reasons forus moving to Boise.

mtnjam
    sorry to hear that, trust no one especially in apartment complexes. Take you bikes in with you.

Did you have the serial numbers of the bikes or some photos of them?

Make sure you let all the shops in town know, with full on description of make and model and if you have the serial numbers, that these two bikes have been stolen. Keep an eye on craigslist, criminals can be pretty stupid sometimes especially meth-heads

mtbr member
    welcome to Any City, USA... All bike friendly cities have bike theft problems.

if you can, get a cheap beater bike for commuting and renter's insurance.

Barneys Unite!

That really sucks.

And its not a very good welcome to Boise. From what I hear, the BSU area is one of the worst for bike thefts. Did you report them stolen? The police recover quite a few stolen bikes, but most are never claimed.

Where in Kansas are you from? I came out here from Topeka about eleven years ago.

TF

mtbr member
    Bummer. That's no good.

In general Boise seems to have less property crime than most places. I' don't spend a lot of time around BSU, so I'm not sure exactly how that area is, but having bikes stolen seems to happen less here overall. Not that that makes your loss any easier.

Hopefully things improve from here.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    got any pictures?
    Idaho

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well a happy ending to the case of the stolen bike. I caught a post on craigslist of someone seeing a girl pawning a bike that he thought did not look like a bike she would own. I checked it out and it was mine, called the police they came down and I had 2 options let them take it down to the station where it would sit for 6-8 months or cut a deal with pawn shop. They said they paid 150 for it and that he would sell it to me for 85, I paid him 75 (for my own bike) and took it home that day. Not the best ending I could dream up but I'll take it. SO lets bike. Any good group mountain bike rides during the week? (I should look at older posts first I know)

just a man
    Was real nice to meet you guys this morning, glad to hear you got the bike back and without too much drama. Check out the Thursday Barney Ride that brother CBro heads up. You just might see me out there this week too...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    So the police didn't cite the pawn shop owner for receiving stolen property????
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Members who have read this thread: 0