Statesman: City cycling can be safe if you ride right- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

Statesman: City cycling can be safe if you ride right

http://www.idahostatesman.com/110/story/76226.html

Hmmm....I may consider taking that ACHD class if I could find info on it on the ACHD website.

Ahhhh...here it is....
    http://www.bikeleague.org/cogs/progr...se_detail/1094

King of the Barneys

City Cycling Can Be Safer... Not Safe

City Cycling Can Be Safer... Not Safe

my 2 cents.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    It is good to see them talking about motorists being more aware at least.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Another safety tip he suggested is for bicyclists to be as visible as possible. In daylight, wear bright clothing, such as yellow or orange.

mtbr member
    I think the most dangerous thing around here is motorists feel the deserve exclusive access to our roads. Some will make a point of pushing cyclists off the road. To make it worse there are plenty of cops that won't do anything about it if a car impacts a cyclists, even if done intentionally (as seen by one of my co-workers last weekend)
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Hi!!!
    WTF happened????

King of the Barneys
    I was run off the road heading north on 10-mile, just south of the Freeway, hit a hole flipped an impressive gainer in the air and slammed to the ground next to an ugly piece of rebar sticking out of the ground. Yeehahh!!

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

think pink
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/110/story/76226.html

Hmmm....I may consider taking that ACHD class if I could find info on it on the ACHD website.

Ahhhh...here it is....
    http://www.bikeleague.org/cogs/progr...se_detail/1094
    You should take the course. It's pretty good. It seems that everyone that takes the course takes at least a little bit out of it.

mtbr member
    He was actually roller blading with his family on bikes on floating feather close to eagle. Some lady squeezed by just close enough to hit him. He wasn't injured but the lady had the nerve to chase him down and tried to press charges on him for damage to her SUV! The POS cop was too lazy to do anything.

mtbr member
    7:15 am - darkish outside.

roady/commuter with poorly lighted (no side lighting or reflectors)

biker speeds across 23rd street, going west on jefferson. me driving south on 23rd.

oh yeah, no helmet either. no bright clothes like the handbook recommends.

yeah - i honked at your moth-rfu-ker. don't ruin my day, year, or life because you die being a dumbass.

Hi!!!
    Over the past couple of months I've seen a guy riding his bike on I-84 westbound heading out of Nampa past the Garrity on-ramp. He has a helmet, but no lights or anything reflective on his bike. Too bad secondary roads in the 2C heading into 1A like Franklin don't have a decent shoulder.

Greg --- I'm strongly considering taking the class....just gotta find $ first and see if TJ will let me have that Tuesday off.

Oh Greg...here ya' go...the On-One thread I was telling you about:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=251749

mtbr member
    I"ll be curious if you get anything out of it. I'm not uncomfortable riding on the roads but whenever I commute I get some ******* laying on the horn going by or screaming out the window etc. I sort of doubt the class can cure that other than to say to stay off the road.

mtbr member
    it's all about the route.

unfortunately, boise does not have a lot of "safer", continuous bike lanes/routes around the city.

my commute is from the 27th street area up to Federal Way and Overland (right up on the bench).

i ride along the greenbelt to julia davis park (boise state area). from there. to get up the hill, there's not easy or "safer" way.

there is a detached bike lane on federal way, but, there is no bike lane or shoulder really coming up 9th/vista to federal way.

merging over before the depot is like real life frogger.

i've thought about cutting through BSU and coming up protest hill to federal way, but it's so crazy around BSU in the morning.

but, i don't commute much on my bike, because i need a car to run around to job sites, etc.

think pink
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Greg --- I'm strongly considering taking the class....just gotta find $ first and see if TJ will let me have that Tuesday off.
    I was tricked into taking the class a while ago and it wasn't that bad actually. The guy that teaches the class is a little weird (rides a recumbent) but was fairly knowledgeable. If you end up taking the class you might notice some resemblance between his last name and mine. I've talked to a handful of people that currently commute a bunch that took his class and they all had good things to say about it. If you can, I would. During Boise Bike Week we'll be having a [very] condensed version of the course so you could always attend that. It'll be on Wednesday during BBW.

Hi!!!
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/110/story/76504.html

Ask Zimo: Bicyclists cannot impede the flow of traffic
    - Idaho Statesman
    Edition Date: 03/22/07

Question: Ah yes, it's that time of year again. The sun is shining, the grass is green, the birds are singing, the road bikers are riding five abreast down Hill Road!

Now, I've had my rear-end on a saddle for as long as I can remember, and I am all for alternate means of transportation, especially those that provide a good workout, but I just do not get the mentality involved with people who insist on riding that dangerous stretch of Hill Road between Castle and Gary Lane in this fashion.

The street is quite narrow and has more blind corners than anywhere else in town.

Why can't these people ride single file, and do they have the right to obstruct traffic like this?

Robert B., e-mail.

Answer: They don't have the right to obstruct traffic. It's against the law, and they should be cited.

They also give all bicyclists a bad name.

Hey, I'm a commuter cyclist, too, and I adhere to the principle that bicycles are like vehicles on the road — they should obey traffic laws.

The law says that people riding bicycles on a highway shall not ride more than two abreast, except on paths or parts of highways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

There are certainly parts of Hill Road where you can't ride two abreast.

The law says that people riding two abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. With the speed limit as high as 35 mph on Hill Road, there's no way cyclists are going to go fast enough not to impede traffic.

Bicyclists on Hill Road should ride in single file and as far to the right as they can possibly get.

It's as simple as that.

They need to get a copy of Idaho Bicycling Street Smarts from the Idaho Department of Transportation or Ada County Highway District and brush up on the rules of the road.

think pink
    That article drove me nuts. We don't have to ride as far to the right as possible. We need to ride as far to the right as is safe. Zimo is full of crap telling everyone to get as far over as we can. We have just as much right to the road as the motorists. If we feel that taking up the whole lane is what it takes to be safe, then we're legally allowed to do just that. Don't listen to him. Ride where you feel safe and write Zimo hate-mail.

Hoops - Big and Small

Idaho Code Title 49, Chapter 7

Quote Originally Posted by gtovey
    We have just as much right to the road as the motorists. If we feel that taking up the whole lane is what it takes to be safe, then we're legally allowed to do just that. Don't listen to him. Ride where you feel safe and write Zimo hate-mail.
    Idaho Code 49-717. POSITION ON HIGHWAY. (1) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable* to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following
    situations:
    (a) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
    (b) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
    (c) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface
    hazards or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge.
    (2) Any person operating a bicycle upon a one-way roadway with two (2) or more marked traffic lanes may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of the
    roadway as practicable*.

* Practicable per the dictionary means capable of being put into practice or of being done or accomplished; feasible.

It's kind of a speed thing - If your on streets where you can't match the speed of traffic than the car owns the road, not safe, but thats the reality.

Keep sending Zimo hate mail, it keeps him in business.

Members who have read this thread: 0