State of the Boise foothills...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

State of the Boise foothills...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is itching to get back on the trails here in our back yard so I went and did some scouting today.

My first stop was Tablerock and the trailhead at the warmsprings golf course. It was pretty disappointing. I walked up about 50 ft or so just to see that the trail look like absolute hell and had a closed sign on it. People have obviously been abusing it when it was muddy. The trail was as rough as I've ever seen any foothill trail. It may be better in other areas but thats the best way in that I know of.

I also checked out lower hulls gulch. It was not bad at all. I scouted it out on foot a bit, quizzed some trail users and figured I'd go for a little ride. I rode up lower hulls which was not bad. There were a few spots that were a bit wet so i tried to tread lightly and kept going up. I usually like to climb motor bike trail 4 but it looked like it was pretty shaded and snow/ice covered so i continued down crestline. Crestline was wet and getting beat pretty bad. When I got to where sidewinder dumps in to it, I saw a sign stating crestline was closed. I thought It was odd it was only closed in one direction. Had I seen the sign the other way, I would have passed (by pass, I mean pass on the ride, i.e. TURN AROUND!). I finished my ride on Kestral which was ok i guess. I was going so fast, i don't think my wheels really touched the ground so its all good.

I am interested in hearing some input from those of you who know these trails better than I. I know riding them when they are soaked and muddy causes serious erosion. People have obviously been doing so. Do they smooth out on their own in the spring or do people fix all the damage that gets done in these messy times?

Anyone else been out checking out foothills trails? Hows red tail looking?

Peace
    Last edited by Cracka; 01-28-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Hi!!!
    On Friday evening, me and a buddy rode around Military Reserve, but we stayed off the trails. We just rode up Mtn. Cove Road and then up the road that goes up behind the shooting range and turned around where Shane's started.

Mtn. Cove Trail appeared to be pretty muddy from our vantage point. Same with the slog up Ridgecrest. The start of Trail #5 looked fine, but ya' never now. Shane's was looking muddy as well.

A poster a couple of days ago said Three Bears was pretty bad during the afternoon.

Good to hear "Closed" signs are being posted. I hope that deters alot of use, but I also hope it doesn't mean folks are going around those signs.

mtbr member

I don't think it gets any simpler than...

If it's frozen, keep going. If you encounter mud, turned around and ride a dirt road instead...

gringo-fied facsimiles
    So how I read your post is , even though you saw the sign that said closed, quote~I saw a sign stating crestline was closed.~ you went around the sign and continued to kestrel? quote~ I finished my ride on Kestral ~ WTF!?!?
    Last edited by surly_an_instigator; 01-28-2007 at 09:52 AM.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    surly. how i read cracka's post was this:

he usually goes up the motorcycle trail to the top of sidewinder..but chose not too 'cause it was icey,etc. there was no CLOSED sign there.

as he went along crestline, he was going to climb sidewinder, but there WAS a CLOSED sign on that end of the trail.

so, how would he have known to stay off that trail if he had gone up the moto trail and down sidewinder. he wouldn't have.

that's how i read it. and yes, it was a little confusing.

cracka, correct me if i'm wrong.

i'll be out today widening as much trail as possible. and my dogs are trained to **** right in the middle of the trail at 500 foot intervals. sorry, if my and my dog's recreation ruins it for everyone else

just kiddin' btw. i know how these emoticons sometimes do not show sarcasm or just kiddins...so don't hate me.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I beat you. Mine relieve themselves on time based intervals. Once every 4-6 hours, and only off trail. They tend to be shy about their personal time.

This morning everything was good until the temp hit 30. The combo of the sun and that temp softens the fudge. 90% of the trails that I was on that didn't have snow on them were trashed. The combo of all trail users is really to blame, not just MTBers. Hikers and runners go off trail when the "trail" is soft...widening the existing. Horses...well, I shouldn't have to explain that one. MTBs leave the most recognizible impact...and usually get the most blame. Dogs. I can't fault them. However, I run mine before the temp hits 30.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Sorry if my post was confusing. I certainly did not ignore any "closed" signs. Garnetspur, you read my post correctly. I'm actually trying to get/give information here with the ultimate goal of preserving this fine network of trails we have here.

As for my ride today, I left a bit earlier to be done with my ride before noon when weather.com said the temp was going to start pushing above 32F. I did venture up trail #4 to reach the top of one of my favorites, Sidewinder. #4 was probably 60% snow covered which made for a fun climb! Sidewinder looked good.

For the record, the section of crestline that I assume is closed in one direction was completely bipassed today and all trails were frozen while I was on them. We should probably be a bit concerned with the HOARDS of people that were present as I was loading up my bike though. Temp is 35 now (1pm) and I'm guessing the trails are getting soggy and people are getting spring fever.

I am very interested in helping out with trail build/maintenace so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled here and other places. I have no idea what/how much is invloved but look forward to giving back a bit this year.

Gotta run, the sun is shining!

Queen of Crash
    Corrals was good this morning around 10am. An hour or so later it probably would have been a little too squishy.

Buck Tail es no bueno.
    Good times. Noodle salad.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Hulls Gulch area was frozen solid at about 8am, and was getting a bit squishy by 10 on Saturday.
    Today by 10, Kestrel was defenitely a bit soft, but not muddy just yet, and when I fell on my ass (I was riding a 16 inch kids bike down Kestrel), I hit a frozen spot and it's not too happy now.

So basically, ride your bike at 8am and you're good.
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    No bueno es muy malo.

I was going to try a short night ride after work today - Hulls, maybe Sidewinder - as I figured that 2 straight weeks of dry weather might be drying out the 8th street stuff, but it sounds like this would all be una mala idea. I guess I'll have to stick to 8th street. Aw, poop.

mtbr member
    why don't people just stay off the trails when they're nasty???

do y'all attribute it to ignorance or being inconsiderate (probably a better word...like...people having a "don't give a **** attitude")

last friday i was driving down hill road around lunch time...saw two bikers and their bikes were covered in mud.

one dude even had fenders...so, he knew he was goin' muddin'. wtf. inconsiderate, ignorant or what?

lastly..you'd think that the signs they put up would make people stop and think.. guess not??

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005

Closing is a good idea...

It is impossible to police this activity, and probably the only real solution to try and limit the damage, is to close the foothills trails from, date a to date b, to all users - period. I know the trails freeze, have snow pack, are not shaded in some areas, and can be ridden and run on; but then we start creating all these gray areas. So to make it black and white, just close them. Want to get some dirt rides/runs; you have 8th street, rocky canyon and ridge road as well as the Owhyees.

My fear is, as use and abuse continue to increase (which they will), an environmental group will move in and start lobbying for trails to be running/hiking only, or just shut them down, and then we become another Boulder, CO.

The positive side to this would be that the trails would hold up better in the long term and the hiatus from riding them would make them more enjoyable when you do start riding and running.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    They're both muddy and ass busting frozen, so anyone riding had better be aware of the conditions before they ride.
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I tried Corrals trail from the Bogus Basin Road side on Saturday, but turned back after a half mile. It was dry enough in spots to be fine and it was frozen enough in other spots to be fine, but the parts in-between were a little too squishy.

There can be great winter riding on cold days, when it doesn't get above freezing. I've done two rides in particular this winter that stand out. Both rides were 8th street to Scott's to Corrals loops and both times it was snowing pretty hard during the ride. . . the ground was (of course) frozen solid.

A few things to keep in mind about winter riding in Boise:
    1. Make sure it is cold enough. This might seem a little backward, but you do NOT want to be half-way through your ride when the trail starts to thaw. Keep in mind that the upper sections will often be nice and frozen while the lower sections are turning to jelly.
    2. Make sure to protect your extremities from the cold. Your core body temperature will be fine (just pedal harder ), but your fingers and ears will get cold fast without proper protection. Also, it gets much colder and windier the higher you go up the mountain.
    3. Be carefull. Traction isn't as bad as you might think, especially if you are riding on fresh snow, but take it easy anyway. The middle of a snow storm is not a good time to break something. . . your bike or your leg. Try to bring a riding partner or two if you can. I've found cell coverage in the foothills to be hit or miss, but I do always make sure to bring one just in case things go really wrong.
    4. Remember that it gets dark early in the winter time. I forgot this one a couple months ago and pushed things a little too far. . . Those downhill sections can be tricky after the sun has gone down. Thankfully, there is enough light from the city to keep it from getting totally dark.

As for closing the trails completely during winter. . . Do you guys really want them closed or are you just worried that it will come to that? Do you seriously think they should be closed for x months out of the year because leaving them open might allow a few jerks to cause some problems?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I say close em all. Close em because we've all been such bad boys and girls and we all need to be punished. Spanked even.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hi!!!
    Anyone been in Rocky Canyon lately? If so...how is that stretch going down from Shaw Mtn.? Is it free of snow/ice? How is the rest of Rocky Canyon say up to the start of Three Bears?

King of the Barneys
    It's just taking a really long time to dry out. We need some big winds up there. We'll just have to shave our legs and keep hitting the pavement for a while, or go early before it thaws, as patented by Flip & Barbie...

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    It's just taking a really long time to dry out. We need some big winds up there. We'll just have to shave our legs and keep hitting the pavement for a while, or go early before it thaws, as patented by Flip & Barbie...

CDB
    Speaking of which, it was perfect this morning and there was no one out there. No hikers, runners, bikers, wild animals, etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hoops - Big and Small

Do your part, Ride the trails now!

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    It's just taking a really long time to dry out.
    I dorked Sidewinder/Hulls last night after work last night - The trails are very fast and no mudd came home with me, damn!

There is some trail ruts out there, last night I would move off the center dry section of the trail a smooth some of the semi-frozen softer ruts.

Everybody get out there and do your part now while the trails are semi-soft semi-frozen, ride out the ruts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Anyone been in Rocky Canyon lately? If so...how is that stretch going down from Shaw Mtn.? Is it free of snow/ice? How is the rest of Rocky Canyon say up to the start of Three Bears?
    i drove up to aldape summit a week ago sunday. ice right at the summit. all of the road is hard pack snow/ice which i skinned on. had the dogs with me. good day.

seems solid..no rutting or anything to 3 bears. and beyond for that matter.

atvs were all over it. seems fine...and i figure it's the same now.

mtbr member
    Just to let people know, dropped down Bob's and it was awesome! Went sunday afternoon and the creek bed was still frozen over at the crossings. Little slick, but not very muddy... would recomend it for a winter ride.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    The coyotes have been pooping on the water bars on the upper trails. It is very hazardous.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

just a man
    CBro and I rode from the Interpretive Center (?) up and down Hulls right after work yesterday (~4pm) and it is in fantastic shape. Only one little section was a little soggy, but still pretty firm. LOTS of runners out there.

CBro was in turbo-climber mode on the One-Trick Pony/Gray Lady SS and smoked me on the climb. I think it's all the plyometrics he's been doing at the Y....

Members who have read this thread: 0