Stanley Conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Stanley Conditions

I'm hoping to ride in stanley the 23rd to 26th and just wanted to make sure conditions were still good. The big hope is to atleast ride big/little boulder- haven'tridden this yet, so if anyone is in the area and wants to meet up let me know?

Archie

Look out!
    My wife and I rode Big Boulder out and back on Wednesday and had a great ride. The trail was dry and loose at the start by the mine but the upper 2/3rds was sweet. It had snowed sometime last week and there was still some up on the high peaks and a couple of patches on the saddle before dropping down to Frog lakes. If the weather stays clear this week it should be great riding for you.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If i come in from Challis where is the turn off for the trailhead?

Look out!
    It is pretty easy, from Challis you will need to turn left at the East Fork of the salmon river road. I have only driven from Stanley and am not sure how far it is from Challis. Drive to Big Boulder Creek Forest Service road 667, it is a long ways from the highway, turn right and go uphill about 4 1/2 miles or so, take the road that goes to the left down to the trail head and park there. I have not done the entire loop, only the part from the old mine up to the saddle that looks down on Frog lakes. Good luck.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Since I'm doing this solo for the first time I thought I'd check and see if anyone has the relavent GPS stats for this ride?

Look out!
    Ask and ye shall receive; http://connect.garmin.com/activity/49290818 I rode it with my wife who is recovering from thumb surgery so we went slowly up the hill and slow back down as well. Like I said before, the upper 2/3's of the trail are firm and great riding. You will not be disappointed in the views.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanx for the beta

Rode Little to Big boulder on thursday and can't wait to do it again. Although next time I think I'll go up Big and down Little, might be more tech, but the length of the dohnhill would be great. This is the only possible downside to this trail- Great ride down Big, but to finish the second half of the descent on the road was a bit of a let down. Don't get me wrong, this was a great ride I loved the climb, never really that steep, mostly rideable and oooohhh the views.

Next day I rode Boundary to Williams Creek. This was the highlight of the trip. Boundary was a brute of a climb(ride-push-carry), but once on top it was last of any real climbing. the rest was a sweet descent into the meadows and onto that legendary williams creek descent. Downside- I ran out of water well before the meadow. I think breaking into the meadows in what felt like such an isolated area was the biggest shocker for me, but oh my the ride was fantastic through and through. Wish I could post some pics, but I'm not all that tech savvy.

Thanx for the beta and everything else i get from this board it was great and can't wait til next year

Members who have read this thread: 0