Speed + inexperience = OUCH!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

No good Speed + inexperience = OUCH!!!!

Long story short-was going down 3 Bears Monday morning, water bar appeared out of nowhere and OTB i went...and went...and went. Displaced fracture of distal radial head requiring 2 hrs of surgury, possible rotator cuff damage and ruined a brand new helmet. My fault for not respecting the trail and ignoring commen sense.

LET US ALL BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.
    See ya on the trails (in the spring). Happy Thanksgiving. jeff
    I feel a little Bucky comin' on!

mtbr member

sending sympathy

sorry to hear about your acident. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I will stop in and see you on friday if you are working.

swede
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtbr member
    Bummer. I'm not sure what all of that means, but it sounds painful. I hope all heals well.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Aye chihuahua.

I just rode that with Surly and Ivan and remember those water bars near the bottom. They can get ya....

Heal fast and well.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

gringo-fied facsimiles

heal fast newb

I take off my hat and place it next to my heart in respect of a fallen fellow rider.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

Hi!!!
    Yikes!

Get well man!!!

liver abuser
    Sorry about the crash. Chalk another downed rider up to the Kabuta.

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by HTNewb
    Long story short-was going down 3 Bears Monday morning, water bar appeared out of nowhere and OTB i went...and went...and went. Displaced fracture of distal radial head requiring 2 hrs of surgury, possible rotator cuff damage and ruined a brand new helmet. My fault for not respecting the trail and ignoring commen sense.

Ouch! Just curious, which bone, and did you need a helicopter ride to get back into town? Here is a question for all, is the Kubota a lazy way to make water bars? My wife and I did Corralls,Scotts,Sidewinder, Red Cliffs, Chickidee the other day and there were Kubota scrapings all over Sidewinder. I think it does more bad than good but that is just my opinion. By the way, Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    Ride the bike.

Can we just wish Jeff well???

(This is something to do while waiting for the bird to cook.) The way I figure it is that the Kubota isn't lazy when you consider R2R has limited $$$. Limited cash translates into limitations on the amount of people you can hire to do labor to do regular maintainence. (And yes, volunteer efforts could help fortify a short fall in labor, but relying on volunteer labor is unpredictable in terms of regular availability). So the alternative is to use a machine which can move a lot of dirt in a short period of time given the labor available.

The analogy is this: Would you drag a rototiller through your yard, and possibly mess up your lawn, to till your garden??? Or would you spend the time trying to till it with a garden fork and a hoe? Which is a better use of your time? And does your yard recover???

If we really want things to change, let us all may actions the fulfillment of words said. Volunteer your time. There will be plenty of trail work to do thing early spring.

just a man

Bubble Wrap

Heal up soon, and see if they'll replace that helmet with a full-face.

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Can we just wish Jeff well???

(This is something to do while waiting for the bird to cook.) The way I figure it is that the Kubota isn't lazy when you consider R2R has limited $$$. Limited cash translates into limitations on the amount of people you can hire to do labor to do regular maintainence. (And yes, volunteer efforts could help fortify a short fall in labor, but relying on volunteer labor is unpredictable in terms of regular availability). So the alternative is to use a machine which can move a lot of dirt in a short period of time given the labor available.

The analogy is this: Would you drag a rototiller through your yard, and possibly mess up your lawn, to till your garden??? Or would you spend the time trying to till it with a garden fork and a hoe? Which is a better use of your time? And does your yard recover???

If we really want things to change, let us all may actions the fulfillment of words said. Volunteer your time. There will be plenty of trail work to do thing early spring.

Let me rephrase, given that the Kubota makes massive speed bumps leading to accidents would it not be better to do a light hand on the land making user friendly water bars? Surely there is a way to do so without the impact of the Kubota? Have a great Turkey day.
    Ride the bike.

There is a way to do it withouth the Kubota. And I would love to see R2R get to the point that it doesn't have to use the Kubota. However, it is a time - labor -cash flow issue, and that is the unfortunate reality of the situation.

I think R2R has a crew of eight, maybe nine. Nine people to cover maintenance on all the Foothills trails, and the Shafer (aka Eastside) trails. Now imagine if those 9 had to do all their work by hand, I don't think they could provide enough coverage, even if they chose high priority, high usage trails only.

I've also been thinking about those water-bars and how to make them user-friendly. I think one reason they are the way they are is so that the trail crew doesn't have to go back as often to maintain the trail...which again goes back to the time-labor-cash flow issue. If someone could propose a design that can divert the runoff of 15 nches a year of rain, be built under 1 hour by 2 people using hand tools (no wheelbarrow), AND could last for at least seasons of high MTB traffic, I can propose it R2R.

I hope you join me in the next trail maintenance day.

gringo-fied facsimiles

all the kabota's fault?

I personaly think it is exactally what HTnewb said it was, speed and inexperience, he was going too fast and didnt know the trail, and or didnt know how to "play" the water bar. The water bars are built with two things in mind, shedding water and slowing traffic. If they toss you off your bike you are going too fast for the terrain, simple. I LOVE the water bars.... really I do, makes me think, keeps me in check..... instead of W I D E, buffed, trails that are boring.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    May 2004

Hope Plenty of time over winter to read some good books!

Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    I personaly think it is exactally what HTnewb said it was, speed and inexperience, he was going too fast and didnt know the trail, and or didnt know how to "play" the water bar. The water bars are built with two things in mind, shedding water and slowing traffic. If they toss you off your bike you are going too fast for the terrain, simple. I LOVE the water bars.... really I do, makes me think, keeps me in check..... instead of W I D E, buffed, trails that are boring.

Not that this is a good way to do it! Sorry about your crash man. All I can say is good wishes are with you and to heal up quick and completely. Like Patrick said, I respect that fallen rider and wish a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself man, and you'll be back out in what seems like no time! Thank you for the Thanksgiving wish too, you have a good one too..........Ahhhh Vicoden EX
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

liver abuser
    Agian, I propose a weekly evening maintenance session. Say every Monday night 7 -9.

Hoops - Big and Small

Tim Brewer Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    If someone could propose a design that can divert the runoff of 15 nches a year of rain, be built under 1 hour by 2 people using hand tools (no wheelbarrow), AND could last for at least seasons of high MTB traffic, I can propose it R2R.
    Tim had a great solution for building lasting water bars! Some of them are being covered up by the by the crash inducing Sand Bars that are being built now.

Pop quiz for all - describe the two water bar techniques Tim used, which one worked? and which one did'nt?

Boise Trail maint class is in session boys and girls.

Hoops - Big and Small

Trail History Lesson

Quote Originally Posted by HTNewb
    Jeff -
    Sorry to hear about you crash and subsequent surgery - heal up soon to ride another day!

The deal with water bars or should I say Bear Stand Bars, is that if they are not there then you get to negotiate water runoff trenches that run down the center of the trail, aka ruts.

One obstacle runs parallel to the trail, the other runs perpendicular, so pick your poison.

I prefer the perpendicular obstacles, I've found that riding out a six inch deep ruts to be very scary and dangerous, but I've also done a few Bear Stands in my day.

Heal up!

Members who have read this thread: 0