Speaking of trail maintenance....- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

New question here. Speaking of trail maintenance....

This is something I noticed on Friday night....

While starting the climb up Sidewinder from Crestline...I noticed at least on the left hand side of the trail (not on the trail itself) it looks as though someone had taken a hoe (no ho) to it and chopped it up a bit. Unfortunately I don't have any pix of it and that is the best way I can describe it. I do believe I've also seen this type of work done on portions of Central Ridge and maybe Bucktail???

Anyways...what are the benefits/drawbacks of doing that on the side of a trail?

Nick
    Last edited by BelaySlave; 10-23-2006 at 01:29 PM.

gringo-fied facsimiles
    come now........ think for a minute, it might hurt a little, why do you think they did that.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

Aug 2004
    Aha! Is it because people have been widening the trail in recent months and this is R2R's way of discouraging that?

Now that I think about it, this was on the section of Sidewinder that gets bad during the thaw and people bypass the crappy section.

And FWIW...the Connector's trail work didn't seem bad on Friday night. Granted...we rode it after several weeks of use after SpeedyGonzalez started his thread on it.

Hoops - Big and Small
    Looks like somebody added some boulders also - I kind of like them, helps define the trail.

This may be a bad place for the rocks though. I don't mean to sound like a chicken little but I usually am at a very high rate of speed at that particular section and I guess the new rocks slow me down subconsciously, maybe. It would be tragic if a freak accident occurred and somebody crashed on the rocks.

I think Dave is trying to repair and discourage the off trial skirting of the trail that happens when it gets wet, winter/spring take your pick.

As this trail gets so much use it needs a sustainable winter entrance fix.

This band aid fix is something that will be causing him headaches (man power) every year. It does'nt get to the root of the problem which is soil composition, that whole area is nothing but clay.

Where's Dave? He should come in and explain what he's up to.

Aug 2004
    What about if you were to lay rocks on the trail itself...kinda like a big ol' packed down gravel bed. Would that work?

mtbr member
    they put up those signs that say stay off the trails when wet...

why not get some signs that say...stay on the trail dumbass.

include the acronym:

Keep
    It
    Single
    Shithead

Hoops - Big and Small

Armor Up!

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    What about if you were to lay rocks on the trail itself...kinda like a big ol' packed down gravel bed. Would that work?
    I like the Armoring idea - as I usually like riding the rocks.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    If they pour concrete on that section and smooth it out real nice then we won't have to worry about it getting all mushy in the winter and CB can maintain his speed through there. It's a win-win if you ask me.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Lets just pave the whole thing. I mean, the Greenbelt has been reported as one of the top 2 mtn biking trails in Boise several years in a row now in THRIVE. <insert dumbass voters commentary> LOL
    Actually, I wonder about the grass growing up around the rocks and then someone attempting to go wide on a right-of-way issue. Man, I hope I am there. Dismount your lazy pedalling ass for right of way!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Hehehe. That made me spit out the food...but the demons loved it.

Ho to a trail....let's see...have I done that...nevermind

Nick, could you explain this chopping...or is it a dice...maybe a julienne? If ya really want to know, think "drainage" (and not the @[email protected] leakage type)
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I hope the concrete batch plant has a permit. If not they'll get an NOV or CO, then maybe they'll be issued a permit-by-rule.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Jan 2005
    I hope we pave every trail ever just to discourage crashing. By rule of survival of the fittest, the next generation of bikers would become less prone to crashing, and eventualy we would evolve to never crash.

Or maybe someone would just eat **** and sue R2R and the trails would go the way of the Eskimos. Still there but nobody really cares.

Trevor

Members who have read this thread: 0