South Fork of the Boise riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

South Fork of the Boise riding

I rode up willow creek to red mtn mine and it was very cool, How can I loop it?
    Also, I went up Big Smoky creek and it was cool, only went out about 7 miles though, what are some loops off it?

The Smoky Mtns. are very impressive, but the riding is epic, nothing short. I am curious about what I should avoid: to much hike a bike...etc. I am super impressed with what I rode this past weekend and will head back up next weekend. Exploring consumes me so someone please give up some info.
    If you do something often enough it tends to define you.

May 2007

Skeleton

When we ride Willow we come down Skeleton. The best way to ride Smokey is with a shuttle from Galena summit. I haven't done this yet but hear it is a great ride. We always do an out and back. Green Creek is also a great ride. (your feet may get wet unless what I hear is true that they have fixed the trail) You go south at the top on cross cut and come down camp. You will need a map and some patience. There are a lot of spots to make wrong turns. It works best with a shuttle unless you donít mind about 1/2 hour of gravel and paved road. 5+ hrs. The best ride out there is to the south. You go in to cow res. Start at Hunter Creek trail head. Ride up Middle Lime and down North Lime. It took us 3 trips to figure out the best loop. The best way is over Grouse Mnt. The DH rocks. 7+ hrs but not to bad. Another good one is from Trinity Summit down the Roaring River and then over into Sheep Creek. Watch out for the rattlesnakes down Sheep Creek. You end up at 1 mile from Twin Springs Resort. We pay a friend of mine $10 each to shuttle us and then meet him at the bottom in the Twin Springs bar.
    First aid, water purifier, and survival gear are optional. We've only spent one night out in the wilderness.
    In my opinion this is some of the best riding in Idaho.

Wandervans
    Looks like dan hooked you up with all the info. You can loop in the skeleton drainage also.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks,
    I have ridden a lot of stuff in the Stanley area and have lost the exploring aspect over the past 4-5 yrs. I still love all the rides but I am just not scared/excited the way I was at first. This past weekend around the South Fork of the Boise made me crazy, I am excited to get back there this weekend (I froth over the map every night). I wasted a lot of my vacation racing all summer so now I can only get Sat./Sun. time in, but thats what I'll have to do until it snows.
    I really appreciate the info. If you hear about some guy from the Pocatello area lost in the mtns. there, it's me. I haven't had to stay the night for about ten years now, but I have had a few 6-7 plus hour adventures that were suppose to be 3 hour rides.
    Thanks again,
    Ryon
    If you do something often enough it tends to define you.

mtbr member
    If you flyfish, bring your gear. The SF of the Boise has world class trout fishing..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Riding
    When we ride Willow we come down Skeleton. The best way to ride Smokey is with a shuttle from Galena summit. I haven't done this yet but hear it is a great ride. We always do an out and back. Green Creek is also a great ride. (your feet may get wet unless what I hear is true that they have fixed the trail) You go south at the top on cross cut and come down camp. You will need a map and some patience. There are a lot of spots to make wrong turns. It works best with a shuttle unless you donít mind about 1/2 hour of gravel and paved road. 5+ hrs. The best ride out there is to the south. You go in to cow res. Start at Hunter Creek trail head. Ride up Middle Lime and down North Lime. It took us 3 trips to figure out the best loop. The best way is over Grouse Mnt. The DH rocks. 7+ hrs but not to bad. Another good one is from Trinity Summit down the Roaring River and then over into Sheep Creek. Watch out for the rattlesnakes down Sheep Creek. You end up at 1 mile from Twin Springs Resort. We pay a friend of mine $10 each to shuttle us and then meet him at the bottom in the Twin Springs bar.
    First aid, water purifier, and survival gear are optional. We've only spent one night out in the wilderness.
    In my opinion this is some of the best riding in Idaho.
    Reviving a dead post......

What is the best map for deciphering South Fork Boise Trails?

Members who have read this thread: 0