Sorry, time for a serious thread that actually involves mountain biking- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Sorry, time for a serious thread that actually involves mountain biking

If you have any interest in the Wilderness issue, don't forget to watch IPTV's "Outdoor Idaho" and "Dialogue" tomorrow night. Looks like they are showing state-wide, back to back at 8 PM on non-HD and then at 9 PM on HD.

Here's the linky to the Outdoor Idaho show on "Wilderness in the 21st Century." http://idahoptv.org/outdoors/oi_stories.cfm

And another linky-poo: http://idahoptv.org/productions/

Here's the linkity-link to the Dialogue program: http://idahoptv.org/dialogue/diaShow...rsionID=216330

The good - Outdoor Idaho actually sought out the unique perspective of mountain bikers on this sensitive issue. We'll see how much of those views are included in the program.

The bad - Dialogue, on the other hand, did not see it necessary to invite anyone to represent the unique views of mountain bikers. Rather, Dialogue will be hosting two paid Wilderness advocates (the usual suspects from the ICL and TWS), a representative of the USFS, and a representative of the primary opponent of CIEDRA, the Idaho Recreation Council.

But, while we are not represented on Dialogue, you can email your questions to Dialogue beforehand at [email protected]rg.

Boise
    Thx for posting

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    You can also call in during the live airing tonight (8:30 PM Mountain Time) at 1-800-973-9800.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    You can also call in during the live airing tonight (8:30 PM Mountain Time) at 1-800-973-9800.
    Yer gonna git robocalls from the Tea Bags tellin you to shoot wolves from helicopters.

For sport and to subserviate nature in the name of bein a good christian.

Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    If you have any interest in the Wilderness issue, don't forget to watch IPTV's "Outdoor Idaho" and "Dialogue" tomorrow night. Looks like they are showing state-wide, back to back at 8 PM on non-HD and then at 9 PM on HD.

Here's the linky to the Outdoor Idaho show on "Wilderness in the 21st Century." http://idahoptv.org/outdoors/oi_stories.cfm

And another linky-poo: http://idahoptv.org/productions/

Here's the linkity-link to the Dialogue program: http://idahoptv.org/dialogue/diaShow...rsionID=216330

The good - Outdoor Idaho actually sought out the unique perspective of mountain bikers on this sensitive issue. We'll see how much of those views are included in the program.

The bad - Dialogue, on the other hand, did not see it necessary to invite anyone to represent the unique views of mountain bikers. Rather, Dialogue will be hosting two paid Wilderness advocates (the usual suspects from the ICL and TWS), a representative of the USFS, and a representative of the primary opponent of CIEDRA, the Idaho Recreation Council.

But, while we are not represented on Dialogue, you can email your questions to Dialogue beforehand at [email protected].

Was it a midget sheep eating salad while sitting in its skid marked manpris?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sorry, time for  a serious thread that actually involves mountain biking-midget.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Was it sheep salad while riding your fixie with your retro hipster gangsta friends?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sorry, time for  a serious thread that actually involves mountain biking-sheep-wolf.jpg  

BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Yes, call serious poop!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sorry, time for  a serious thread that actually involves mountain biking-poop-1.jpg  

Sorry, time for  a serious thread that actually involves mountain biking-jennifer-garner-poop-finger.jpg  

BoiseBoy

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Dude, you had me at midgets.

Alas, there were no wild midgets or backcountry salads on the shows, but there were some sheep. I'm not a big fan of sheep. Wool makes me itch. But, I do understand that it is very hip to ride your CX bike whilst wearing manpris and a $300 wool jersey.

mtbr member
    Anyone record this? Sorry to have missed it.
    and
    Can Smiley post a link to the DVD from Idaho Public T.V on the White Clouds shot a few years ago?

THX

Wandervans
    The dialogue show can be found on the pbs website. The outdoor idaho show is only available on DVD. I do have a copy if any would like to borrow it.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I caught some of Dialog the other night. I thought the moderator did a good job of pushing the mountain bike question.

Most amazing moment of the night was John McCarthy talking about how the intent of wilderness was to return the experience to that of the mountain man. WTF? Nylon tents, cell phones, msr stoves, does he want to ban all that too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad

Most amazing moment of the night was John McCarthy talking about how the intent of wilderness was to return the experience to that of the mountain man. WTF? Nylon tents, cell phones, msr stoves, does he want to ban all that too?
    plenty of contradictions...

when asked about mtn bikes being allowed in wilderness...he essentially said that he rode mtn bikes...but he (I) have no desire to mtn bike in wilderness.

just words...

meanwhile...not addressing the question from "geoff".....and the moderator which was. why some exceptions..and not others. why not mtn. bikes?
    Last edited by garnetspur; 10-22-2010 at 04:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, mountain men with airplanes

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Marcia called McCarthy out on his BS not once, but twice. I loved the "mountain bikes are too fast for wilderness" comment. That you're supposed to experience Wilderness "slowly." Really? Where's that in the 1964 Act? These Wilderness advocates get nuttier and more ridiculous the more they talk.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    A Henry Rollins-lite spokesmodel dressed like Daisy Duke and a neon polychrome guidebook scraper strutting as the pontiffs of velowilderness? On PBS? I don't think so. Who *isn't* on PBS anymore?

What ever happened to good old fashioned community access television? As soon as this Internet fad blows over and the YouTube dries up and its skeletal remains blow away like so much dustbowl detritus, we'll have more time to bish-slap the teabaggers with rubber copies of the Constitution. Then the real fun will start.

Five years ago the spew was "singletrack is our church". That was the last generation. This generation is no less soft it seems. Five years from now, after he gets his GED and gets a couple of CWI communications classes under his belt, BoiseBoy will be the next attention whore spraying on Idaho Pubic TV and wishing he knew Marcia Franklin a little better.

Boise
    These Wilderness advocates get nuttier and more ridiculous the more they talk.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I saw this quote from our own former Senator Frank Church and his feelings about recreating in Wilderness:

"As the floor manager of the 1964 Wilderness Act, I recall quite clearly what we were trying to accomplish by setting up the National Wilderness Preservation System. It was never the intent of Congress that wilderness be managed in so 'pure' a fashion as to needlessly restrict customary public use and enjoyment. Quite the contrary, Congress fully intended that wilderness should be managed to allow its use by a wide spectrum of Americans.

"I believe . . . that the agencies are applying provisions of the Wilderness Act too strictly and thus misconstruing the intent of Congress as to how these areas should be managed.

"Such policies are misguided. If Congress had intended that wilderness be administered in so stringent a manner we would never have written the law as we did. We wouldn't have excluded condemnation as the means for forcibly acquiring developed ranches within the wilderness areas. We wouldn't have provided for the continuation of nonconforming uses where they were established—including the use of motor boats in the part of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and the use of airfields in the primitive areas here in Idaho. As these examples clearly demonstrate, it was not the intent of Congress that wilderness be administered in so pure a fashion as to needlessly restrict its customary public use and enjoyment. Quite the contrary, Congress fully intended that wilderness be managed to allow its use by a wide spectrum of Americans."

And that includes mountain bikers.

He was just sayin, you know.

Boise

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by obrianmcc
    Note that the IRC Steering Committee lacks any designee from the non-motorized mountain biking community.

Here's some yahoo who blabbers on and on about Wilderness and mountain bikes. It would be nice to have some greater support for this idea.

http://idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/w...tury/Baker.cfm

And here's a grassroots group that is trying to gain some support.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/WildernessB

And if you get off on reading legal schtuff, here's something to mull over.

http://www.imba.com/resources/land-p...legal-analysis

And here's a way you can vote to show your support.

http://ideas.usda.gov/ago/ideas.nsf/...B?opendocument

beater
    Marcia called McCarthy out on his BS not once, but twice. I loved the "mountain bikes are too fast for wilderness" comment. That you're supposed to experience Wilderness "slowly." Really? Where's that in the 1964 Act? These Wilderness advocates get nuttier and more ridiculous the more they talk.
    That's the argument that worked here in MT and knocked out a bunch of trails in the Gallatin NF. Clearly trail running should be eliminated as well.

mtbr member
    Here's some yahoo who blabbers on and on about Wilderness and mountain bikes. It would be nice to have some greater support for this idea.

http://idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/w...tury/Baker.cfm
    the brass ring is getting mountain bikes out of that mechanized definition
    Man, it doesn't happen often, but I am glad when I can zero in on the simple core issues.

1. Are there any organized attempts at tackling this? It doesn't sound like it?
    2. Were you at the SWIMBA meeting on Saturday night?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Man, it doesn't happen often, but I am glad when I can zero in on the simple core issues.

1. Are there any organized attempts at tackling this? It doesn't sound like it?
    2. Were you at the SWIMBA meeting on Saturday night?
    1. Not that I know of. IMBA has some resources on their website (http://www.imba.com/resources/land-p...derness-guide), but I think their focus is more on collaborating with Wilderness proponents to gain access corridors for trails in proposed Wilderness areas.

Jim Hasenauer, the former President of IMBA, has a blog (can't find it right now) that touches on this topic, but there's no "organized movement." "Wilderness B" on Facebook is trying to gauge interest in a similar concept (alternate or "new" Wilderness designation that provides Wilderness-level protection, but allows bikes.)

2. Briefly. Enough to get a couple of free beers, some slices, and fondle TFloyd's backside. Big groups of mountain bikers - whether on the trail or not - give me the willies.

mtbr member
    1. Not that I know of. IMBA has some resources on their website (http://www.imba.com/resources/land-p...derness-guide), but I think their focus is more on collaborating with Wilderness proponents to gain access corridors for trails in proposed Wilderness areas.

Jim Hasenauer, the former President of IMBA, has a blog (can't find it right now) that touches on this topic, but there's no "organized movement." "Wilderness B" on Facebook is trying to gauge interest in a similar concept (alternate or "new" Wilderness designation that provides Wilderness-level protection, but allows bikes.)

2. Briefly. Enough to get a couple of free beers, some slices, and fondle TFloyd's backside. Big groups of mountain bikers - whether on the trail or not - give me the willies.
    1. Cool. Thanks for the info.
    2. I keep running into pics of you in groups of MTBrs. Not big groups though. I was there for about an hour 7~8.

mtbr member
    As a clearing house for this topic: www.gsmba.org

See also on that page: bicycles belong in wild places.

Links: Bicycling and Wilderness - www.WildernessBicycling.org

mtbr member
    Outside Mag had this to say...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley
    Outside Mag had this to say...
    Outside Mag? Now there a yuppy authority that calls for some irreverence. I didn't even know there were yuppies anymore.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Members who have read this thread: 0